Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee Making at Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee Making at Home

Every couple of years this is an issue at my house-after a coffee maker fails.

Anyone still using either an electric percolator or stove top percolator? Particularly one that was purchased recently. I was not smart enough to hang on to one for 25 years or be granted one in a will. I would consider an old Corning or Pyrex style percolator as acceptable. No deer camp, French press or similar stuff.

I am going back to "old school" as I am over spending good money on poor yet expensive products. Better yet, brand names that were once great that are no longer great. We are not into single serve either. Put the new fangled infomercial stuff on the No list as well.

M.

I use, (and love), an Aeropress, so I can't help.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Same.

I use the Aeropress also, highly recommend

Comment

I use one Camping. If you are making small amounts check out Bialleti they make Stove top models. We have the Moka Pot which is for espresso. But they have other options.

Comment

• painter
        painter commented
        Editing a comment
        Same--use one camping.

As others have stated, the Aeropress is a great option. It has to be the best in terms of quality and portability for the price.

Comment

I have a Hamilton Beach electric perc that we use a few times a week & a small 9 cupper that I make cowboy coffee for myself the other times. Old school, yeah, got tired of the expensive contraptions a few yrs back. Bought the electric about a year & half ago. Absolutely no regrets.

Comment

If you go to Amazon and search for "stovetop coffee percolator", you will get lots of hits. Same thing with electric.

Comment

I need more than taking a chance on a product I see on a computer screen on Amazon. Should have stated so in my original post. Hopefully some AR poster (i trust them) can offer up some ideas wrought from personal experience with a percolator.

Cheers.

M.

Comment

Classic Kitchens, York PA was recommended to me. Checked them out. Checks out. And Voila. A near mint Pyrex coffee percolator ordered.

M.
              Last edited by Mark E.; February 15, 2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I love mine! When Mr. Coffee fails, it's my go-to coffee maker.

If you like strong old school coffee then find a vintage Biggin pot. The Vietnemese created a single cup version of the method (phin filter). Viet is my favorite because they roast their beans super dark in cocoa & butter oil. Making it right isn't easy though, it's an art.

Comment

Got a Near Mint, Pyrex, stovetop percolator from classickitchensandmore.com

This is pre-the electric, countertop coffee maker evolution.

Good to go.

M.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Mark E.; February 15, 2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• KevinG
                  KevinG commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks pretty nice, also some what of a decorator piece.

Great find! I know you’ll enjoy.

Comment

Lehman's sells old school stuff along with percolators...

Live simply with the Lehman's online store. We sell oil lamps, wood cook stoves & more. Non-electric tools & homesteading supplies since 1955.

I make my own laundry soap from a kit they sell. Dump it in a Home Depot bucket and it lasts forever.

Regarding "Biggin" coffee pots, they originated in France and adopted by cajuns. New Orleans was a big port for the coffee that came from South America. The locals would pick up whole beans from the local market and grind them at home. They'd boil a pot of water and place the Biggin in it (to keep the brewed coffee warm) then simmer the water. While cooking breakfast they'd scoop water a spoonful at a time and dump it in the top of the Biggin and let in rain slowly onto the coffee grounds. The family would wake up with an amazing smell of bacon & coffee. This is the same method used by the famous 'Cafe Du Monde' in New Orleans. That's old school (and strong) coffee man.
                  Last edited by Larry Grover; February 16, 2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

My grandmother made coffee in a siphon pot. I would love to have that machine but it is long gone. It was a lot bigger than this and very ornate. It did come from Germany with her. It was used on holidays to brew coffee toddies with home made brandies.
                    It looked a little like this one but more ornate.

The siphon pots proceeded the percolators.
                    Here is an example. They were fascinating to watch and made excellent coffee.
                    Brew the best cup of coffee with a Vacuum Pot and Stumptown Coffee - Step by step instructions for this brew method.
                    Last edited by Cheef; February 16, 2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                      Bkhuna commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That syphon pot in your link is a Hario, made in Japan. I have one. Makes very good coffee.

I used to fight with my Dad about his "Old Fashioned stuff". Now I know that new technology can be good but.....

M.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here