Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

custards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custards

So, who else is sick of sodas? of course, the price is insane and the monotony!! well, I've been playing with drinks just cause.

I've made eggnog in summer for Christmas drinking. frankly, I'm not really a fan, simply for the reason that i'm never a fan of alcoholic drinks. I'm just not. never liked the taste. but, I DO love the mouth filling taste of custard. so, custard drinks are always welcome.

One of the things I also enjoy is milk. even plain milk is just plain refreshing. I started just taking a glass of milk and dropping in a spoonful of whatever frozen fruit drink I had to hand. still doing that, as well. and it is really delicious. doesn't need much more than that, just be careful about citrus as acid juices can make cheese instead of a yummy drink. but, should you make cheese, that is marvelous, too! Home made lemon cheese is an amazing spread and makes fantatistic cheesecake.

but, back to drinks.

When I plan on French Toast, I like to mix up my toast custard the night before and let it have time to 'bloom' overnight. it also saves an amazing amount of time on the day, just soak the bread, brown the outside then bake. AMAZING.

but, have you ever tasted the french toast custard on the morning? it is really good! and, like everything that starts with a glass of milk, incredibly versatile. for a quart of finished custard, add a whole egg and it will bloom beautifully. there are a number of ways to do it. you can flavor the custard mix or leave it unflavored and then flavor by the glass.

but, for this post, let's make the custard completely.

one quart of custard starter:

2 eggs
    1/4 cup of heavy cream (Optional)
    3 tablespoons fruit juice concentrate.

put these in a quart jar, put a lid on and shake until smooth.

finish filling the jar with whole milk and stash in the fridge overnight.

if you have qualms about salmonella, you can use the cartoned egg stuff in the diary section, buy pasturized eggs or pasterize them, youself if you have a sous vide. no problem.

I don't really worry about it too terribly much but that is a personal choice.

for a nice drink, half fill a glass with the custard, finish filling with more milk. and viola! what a marvelous change. not a milkshake but just, delicious milk and a choice beyond chocolate or the nestle quick strawberry. of course you can add sugar if you like and vary the strength of the fruit juice. this, too, is a wonderful blank canvas, available for any event or just something different to drink.

Hope you guys give it a shot and enjoy it.

Have a beautiful day!!

Cool idea! Never thought of fruit in milk.

Ive thought of cookies in milk.

I like eggnog, even without alcohol. I also like it with…

ill mix mix something up when I get back home and give it a try. Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, that is shouting for some good quality rum!

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        feel free. to each their own, yeah? have a good evening with it!!

Sounds very good Karon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here