Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Root Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Root Beer

Been trying to make homemade root beer for some time now. I can't seem to ever get it just right. Anyone have any recipes they use with actual sassafras root and sarsaparilla? The kids will enjoy making a batch with me that they can actually consume. They lose interest in making beer fairly quickly

Here is a recipe from Serious Eats. Their recipes are usually very good.:

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, Thanks for the Link! It Now Resides in My EverNote Files!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

When I was a kid my folks used to make it using a root beer extract, but I can't remember the name brand. Sometimes my mom would mix it in a pitcher and ad squeezed lemons. A different twist with fond memories.

Comment

Pretty late response, but a good resource for recipes is on microbrew forums. I have seen quite a few rootbeer and other soda recipes when browsing them. I would share a link but its been years since I was on them.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Burns! Great to hear from you! Thanks for your continued support.

I absolutely love Root Beer. All kinds and all flavors. Bring it on. I have never made it though. I feel like that is just another culinary rabbit hole that I don't need to travel down. But I will drink the rewards!!!

Comment

Welcome Mr. Burns

Comment

I've made rootbeer a few times but I've never actually used sassafras root. Making and kegging your own rootbeer is quite delicious, and a huge hit with the family. Good luck with your quest for the perfect rootbeer!

Comment

I wonder if lonnie mac has an experience with this. I know he is or was a big home brew guy.

Or mnavarre I know he knows a thing or two about brewing.

Comment

Man been a long time since I brewed up a batch of root beer! I LOVE the stuff. I use the yeast method, so naturally carbonated and a very slight alcohol content. I have also made the non-alcoholic version, and force carbed in kegs. I'll try and dig up a recipe or two! I had a dedicated keg for root beer, cus once you keg root beer, that keg forevermore smells like root beer!

Funny story, the head brewer of BJ's (Michael "Mufasa" Ferguson) had me dang near talked into quitting my day job and brewing root beer for the BJ's chain. I had to give them LOOOOONNNNGGGGG hours for very little money a thought.

Comment

My Dad Used to Talk About Homemade Rootbeer All of the Time❓ He Never Made Any To My Knowledge❗️ I Guess He Was To Busy Making Pickled Northern Pike❗️ A Foul Concoction IMHOP but People From Miles Arround would Stop By to See If He Happened To Have a Fresh Batch Brewing❓
                Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

One of our larger, small breweries here in Va started with the owners love of root beer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here