Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decaf coffee suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decaf coffee suggestions

I am going to try and kick caffeinated coffee for a bit. I’m leaning towards making some of my own broths to consume, but I sure do love a stronger flavor coffee with heavy cream. Hoping to find some recommendations. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; February 27, 2023, 03:51 PM.

I've been roasting green coffee beans for the last 6 months or so. I use the SR800 fluid bed roaster from Fresh Roast. With this little roaster I roast 228g of green beans every 3-4 days. That keeps me supplied with enough fresh roasted coffee beans to feed my 3 cup a day routine. Two cups of regular, one in the morning and one after lunch swapping to decaf for my after dinner cup.

Recently discovered that EA-processed decaf coffee tastes remarkably like caffeinated coffee. My latest favorite is the Colombia Excelso EA decaf from Captain's Coffee https://thecaptainscoffee.com/collec...40375226564697

Comment

My recommendation? Don't do it.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        You beat me to it. Exactly what I was going to say.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        +2 lol

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        +3

When I was all gung ho on coffee, I used to get my fix here:

Sweet Maria’s

They got the caf, they got the decaf, they got the green beans and they got the roasted beans.

Comment

• Robermax
        Robermax commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with sweet marias, I have roasted reg and decaf for years from them.

Here is another source for https://www.willoughbyscoffee.com/DEC.html
      They also own RoastMasters https://www.roastmasters.com
      Last edited by Donw; February 27, 2023, 03:42 PM. Reason: Added Roastmasters

Comment

No caffeine ? Huh? And still wanna drink coffee? Huh?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't be the only person who enjoys coffee for the flavor.

I am pulling for you Richard. I just can't do it.....

Comment

I only need the caffeine on work days. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s suggestions

Comment

I make a custom half blend with medium dark roast Sumatra regular & Decaf from Woodshed Roasting Company. I actually enjoy the decaf as much as the blend. They offer free shipping with orders over $70.

Comment

My suggestion would be to switch to something else, like decaf tea. Not that decaf coffee is bad, but if you're forcing a habit switch steeping a tea bag is relaxing

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                I did switch over to some herbal we have in the house. I am not sure I want a second thing of coffee in our house, and do not want to make my wife switch. So, tea it may be.

The past year we like a more Full Bodied Coffee and do drink some DeCaff Coffee. Black Rifle is readily available in our area and has a DeCaff that's pretty good. We've found a few others that are locally roasted that are stronger tasting and also good.

Comment

Because the process to remove the caffeine from the beans is very expensive, most coffees use the cheapest beans they can to keep the margin similar to regular coffee at the same price point. If buying decaf, get the most expensive you can if you want the best chance at a decent cup.

Comment

Any shops around you that roast their own beans that you could give a try? And provide them some of your excellent truffles or bread bakes?

I’ve enjoyed getting to know some of the roasters in my home town and have found some great beans, decaf included for the late afternoon, evening caps I make.

Alternatively, the interwebs, I’ve yet to order decaf so can’t provide a recommendation there. Klatch Coffee was pretty good the few bags or regular that I’ve ordered though.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                    Richard Chrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great idea on checking our local roasters. thank you

Modest Coffee still has tons of decaf left. I am certain it is good stuff for decaf.

50% off a case of 6 bags + free shipping The Decaf is $8 per bag and is all we have left of this sale. All the flavor without the fun! Guys, you did it. The power of the internet helped us move appoximately 24,000 bags of coffee. All of our caffeinated Fire Sale! coffee cases are sold out!! We could not be more speechless and grateful. If you would like to buy a fresh roasted bag of coffee, please check out the coffees we are roasting today by following this link.

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s a good suggestion. I enjoyed that coffee.

I am a big fan of Volcanica decaf blends. I drink a bunch since i like coffee and just cant pound caffeine like the old days.

Decaf Coffee – Volcanica Coffee

I have tried their peru, papau new guinea, and sumatra offerings and like them all, peru being my favorite. Its a medium roast so you might want something darker based on your post.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here