Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a Perculator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a Perculator?

We've had some discussions of fancy dancy espresso machines lately, and in the past discussed how to make cold brew. What I've NOT seen any love for here in the Pit is the old fashioned percolator.

I bring this up, as I have a 20+ year old Coleman 9 cup aluminum camping percolator which my youngest borrowed months ago, along with my Coleman camp stove, for a camping trip she, her husband, baby and dog went on. They brought everything back BUT the percolator, and I realized it when they were out of town, and we were checking on their dog, and I saw it sitting in the corner of their garage - missing the glass button/cap that the coffee percs through on top! Aha. Now I knew why they didn't bring it back or mention it...

So, I took it home, cleaned it out of old moldy coffee she had not dumped out (they had to pack their campsite in a storm after dark), sanitized the heck out of it, then found that Coleman doesn't sell the replacement parts for it. I finally found a universal top on Amazon that came in last week, and I just used the pot on the kitchen stovetop to brew some after-lunch java. The replacement cap, while much larger than the old one, worked just fine.

If anyone ever finds themself in the same boat with one of these old percolators, here is what I ordered - currently a whopping $3.99 with free shipping. I paid $5.99 last week!

Anyway, back to the subject of percolators. Anyone use one other than when camping?

I know some pros are:

1. No power needed. I've used it on our gas stove during power outages, and on the Coleman stove, or even on the edge of a camp fire or fire pit many years ago. Just used it on the simmer burner on my gas cooktop, and it took about 5 minutes to bring to a boil, then I turned it down and let it perculate for about 8 minutes.

2. Brew it the strength you want, depending on length of perc time.

3. No filters needed - although filters are actually available to go inside the baskets.

Some cons:

4. Gotta wait a while to drink that boiling coffee! I just had to wait about 10 minutes for it to be cool enough to start sipping my coffee.

5. Unless you use the optional filters, its got more oils in it than drip coffee. But no different than other brewing methods that don't use a paper filter. I.e. French press, etc.

6. Maybe takes longer to make the coffee? I dunno about this one - it took me about 12-15 minutes to make the pot I just ran. I've seem some drip makers that were that slow, but most aren't. I used to have a Bunn that made it TOO fast (like 2 minutes). Bunn sent me a replacement head that slowed the flow down for stronger coffee.

Anyway, while looking for the replacement top, and not knowing if I could find one, I was shopping a replacement percolator to make the daughter buy me, and found quite a few that seem to be highly reviewed. In finding those, like the Coletti Bozeman, a Farberware model, etc, it sure seems some folk prefer their coffee brewed this way.

I have the Coletti Bozeman. Primarily for camping, and storm power outages, but I'll also stick it on the side burner of the grill when I'm cooking bacon outside in the mornings. You're right, it is really hot, I had to put 3 ice cubes into my yeti with it to be able to drink it. I use the paper filter 'cause it lets me use the finer drip grind that I normally have without getting a ton of grounds in the pot. I like it although I still go for the convenience of the Keurig most of the time, and the ease of the drip if there are other coffee drinkers than me around (usually not).

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I expected grounds in the half pot I made today to test out the new top button, as I used regular pre-ground coffee, but surprisingly haven't found a ground in my cup yet.

We have a drip machine, which gets us our wake up coffee. Any cups after 8am are usually from the Keurig sitting next to it, or the one in my home office (separate building).

I have one for dry camping, but don't use it regularly. I'm a one-cupper anymore and the pods work well for that.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Nobody like a quitter cowboy...what next filter cigarettes instead of cigars?

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hell, I don't even smoke cigars or drink beer these day, texastweeter! I still enjoy my evening bourbon, though, so there's that.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Your still allright in my book, bud.

I don't hate it, but I don't like to boil my coffee. Instead I'll use the old metal percolator to heat up the water for my Aeropress or Chemex.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I am drinking the pot I made after lunch, but I don't see this as something I do every day! This pot was just a test run after replacing the glass dome.

I have a GROSHE Milano Espresso maker at my lake house. It makes a decent cup of coffe - semi espresso but definitely not espresso that I make at home, but it’s good. I bought one of those battery powered air whippers for my milk/foam to go with it and that helps me pull off a bit of a cappuccino.

Comment

The Keurig folks scoff at the old school drip Mr Coffee. Percolators have gone to the 1950's antique shops.

Some of the best coffee we make is in the 20-50 cup party-catering pot that we whip out once in a while. Folks always ask "oh my, where did this coffee come from?" when it's the same old Folgers from last year in the back of the pantry.

Sometimes the old methods are the best methods.

Comment

• HotSun
        HotSun commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw a catering percolator at an open house yesterday, now that you mention it.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        We have a big electric percolator/urn we store on a shelf in the laundry room, which we use for parties and events. I think it is 30-40 cups. Last year we used it to keep hot chocolate warm for a party, after which I had loads of fun cleaning it. The church also uses those for coffee every Sunday morning, but the coffee the church sources is... less than good, haha.

Keurig at home, Mud Bucket on the trail or the cabin
      Attached Files

Comment

jfmorris , interesting topic. I have wanted to get a percolator, as I am somewhat of a coffee nerd and have all sorts of methods of brewing around my house. The closest I have to a percolator is the Italian style espresso maker, probably the same type as barelfly . It is not quite a percolator, as the water is pushed up through coffee under pressure. These things are ubiquitous in Europe and my assistant (Italian by birth, English by marriage) travels the world with her pot.

Here is mine, bought from my neighbor for $1 at their yard sale about 10 years ago. Had to get new seals, which are easy to find:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221003_162611992.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1303099

Here is a Wikipedia ref to both yours and mine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_percolator

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          First espresso I ever had was made with one of these, on New Year's Eve, when I was in college. I think I ran it on his stove several times, and drank WAY too much espresso. I sure had no trouble staying up all night and into the next day!

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have one of these as well. My son in law makes Cuban coffee with it. Good stuff!

I have a Pyrex glass percolator, that is just wonderful! Best thing is you can see the coffee get darker. Haven't used it in a while, but I do know right where it is just in case the electric is out (gas stovetop!).

Comment

• HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris , I have a vacuum pot, which is fun to use. I remember a glass percolator in the 80's, I believe, but never used one.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          HotSun as cool as they are, the reason I don't have a vacuum pot is they seem like they would be fragile, and hard to store. I'm good at breaking things!

• HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris , yep me too, I already had to replace the carafe once. It is a novelty and serves as a simple science demonstration.

I have a Colleti & a Coleman. The Colleti I parked two years ago. I now use the Coleman with out the perco thingy. Use it to make Cowboy coffee.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Acceptable by my standards

We grew up with one of these then my Dad brought home our first Mr. Coffee.

Click image for larger version

Name:	corning-p108-2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1303130

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure mother still has hers, it was a wedding present.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember my mom having one of those with the floral print on the side! My grandmother always used an electric perculator pot.

• HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice one, Old Glory ! Cornflower Blue is the name of the pattern, if memory serves. We used one of these for tea, brew up a whole pot for the day (without the filter insert).

Percolator is my favorite method. I have a grind and brew with a mesh filter auto programmed in my office, but cowboy coffee is actually my second favorite.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          What perculator do you use?

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I have 2 a revere ware, and a coleman.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool. So basically vintage stuff!

The Coleman I have is aluminum. That's nice for backpacking, but if I bought one today I would want stainless steel.

Every day percolator… plugs in…
        The enamel pot is used for power outages and at the BBQ pit on the wood stove… it’s optional to boil or perk…
        Attached Files

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          I found this entertaining… from a favorite coffee website…

Expert interview: Filter coffee

Filter coffee is a cult product. With names such as "pour-over coffee" or "brewed coffee", good old filter coffee has once again become a hit in city bars. The methods of preparation have never been more diverse: from the classic pour-over coffee dripper and Chemex brewer, right up to the coffee syphon.

Don't want to upset the applecart here, but I see zero reason besides nostalgia for using obsolete technology that makes an inferior cup of coffee. The one advantage is for those units that don't require power. So sure, as a backup in those rare cases, absolutely. But to make the precious nectar without which one's day simply cannot proceed? Many easier, quicker ways to have a much better cup.

I'll show myself out

Comment

Haven't seen a percolator in use since my grandparents in the 70s..
        I drink 1 cup a day from the Keurig.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here