Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter Single Serve Coffee With Grinder Machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Single Serve Coffee With Grinder Machine?

Alright so we have been spoiled in Europe with all of these nice single serve coffee machines with pods in the morning.

I was looking at something like this but a number of the reviews complain about the clean-up, which I guess is a plus of the pod system.

Cuisinart DGB-400 Automatic Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffeemaker, Black/Stainless Steel https://a.co/2EbzoIU

Is there anything out there in the $100-$200 range that makes a mug-sized (not expresso sized) coffee, grinds beans, and offers minimal clean-up?

I am still in Munich for another week so I don’t have time to research but would love any suggestions so I have somewhere to start when I am back.

Thanks

We have an AeroExpress and a coffee grinder but we are wondering if we can just push a button. 😃

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      We can tell how much you use it by how you spell it.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah….not much

Eww. No. The coffee in the pods sucks (here, not sure about Europe), you're producing a ton of waste and... how hard is it to grind some coffee and put it in a drip maker?

Comment

My parents had the Cuisinart grind and brew for a while. It was OK. Blade grinder is kind of crappy compared with proper burr grinder.

My office has pod machines available. I have a low price point for buying pods on sale otherwise I have the reusable pods that I fill with my own grinds. You could do those in a batch and keep them in an airtight container.

A nice grinder with a hopper makes the grinding aspect a nothing task. Put under spout, press the button, perfect grinds. Ready to go.

I hope you're enjoying all that Munich has to offer! Sounds like a great trip!

Comment

I've used this one before, and it works well for making just one cup. Sorry, but you'll still need a separate grinder.

Comment

The CoffeeTEAM PRO Plus brings new technology for a bean-to-carafe experience that is a cut above the rest. A sleek stainless steel exterior and multiple advancements for convenience and practicality make this the most fully featured 10-cup stainless steel thermal carafe coffee maker/conical burr grinder combination on the market!

I bought an OXO burr grinder and an OXO 8 cup drip coffee maker that is SCA approved. The OXO drip will make from 1 to 8 cups brewed into a mug, travel mug or the included carafe. I also still use my French Press as well. You can spend a small fortune on burr grinders and various coffee machines.

Comment

The Peets downstairs closed, so I got a PowerXL for my office. Blade grinder, but I'll live with that. Cleanup is a snap, and so far my office neighbors haven't complained about the grinder noise (indeed, many people have said that's how they know I'm at work, and some stop by just for the fresh coffee smell...)

Comment

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

I really like the idea of getting an electric or battery burr grinder and either using it with my current drip coffee maker or perhaps trying out the pour over method.

What should I look for in a burr grinder?

I do have a manual coffee grinder but I am just not going to use it daily when I have just woken up. My wife even less so so!

Last edited by STEbbq; June 19, 2022, 06:20 AM.

Comment

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/a...akers/DBM-8P1/ This mill is easy to clean, adjustable, and really is an excellent coffee bean mill.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
                  Hulagn1971 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had this exact one for years. Excellent piece of equipment.

Originally posted by IFindZeroBadCooks View Post
                Thank you for all of the suggestions.

I really like the idea of getting an electric or battery burr grinder and either using it with my current drip coffee maker or perhaps trying out the pour over method.

What should I look for in a burr grinder?

I do have a manual coffee grinder but I am just not going to use it daily when I have just woken up. My wife even less so so!
                Oh I'd never use a manual grinder in the AM. I have a Baratza Encore which is great except for espresso (very very fine) grinds. Mostly what you want to look for is a wide range of grinds and good quality burrs. There are several in the $100 range now. The Encore has gone up in price, though so something like the Capresso would be a better buy. Check these out: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/sh...e=10.00-110.00

There's no reason, IMO, to spend much more than roughly that range unless you're thinking of doing espresso grinds.

I'm currently using a Hario V60 https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ha...pper-v60-clear and a Bodum electric kettle for pourovers and I think the coffee is better than my Moccamaster drip maker. Not by a TON but noticeably. You can also look at immersion pourover setups like the Clever Dripper or the Hario Immersion. The difference is that the immersion brewers operate by you pouring the coffee in, waiting, then releasing the coffee into the cup/carafe. The V60 and others are basically filter holders designed to control the rate of water flowing into the cup/carafe. They only make 1-4 cups at a time, though so for parties etc you'll need something else.
                Last edited by rickgregory; June 19, 2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you know how to increase the Clever Dripper capacity?

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  STEbbq https://cleverbrewing.coffee/products/clever-dripper shows 2 sizes and I think the larger is a 4 cupper (so 2 mug). It uses standard filters. A Chemex should give you larger capacity still.

The OXO or Capresso are what I'd get now. The Baratza was $129 when I got it . At $169 it's just not as good a deal.
                  Last edited by rickgregory; June 19, 2022, 10:26 AM.

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have the oxo burr grinder and I’m happy with it.

I have the following set up: mocamaster drip coffee maker and virtuoso burr grinder. Used to have the oxo burr grinder with built in scale, but 4 if them died after only a year or two each. Mocamaster been going strong for 10 years plus.

The grinder is dialed in for 4 seconds a cup, so can go from one cup to a full pot easily. I grind the night before for the first pot, then fresh grind for the second and third. Fresh tastes better, but not so much that I can wait in the morning for it.

Comment

• Livermoron
                  Livermoron commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At home, same setup. Can't be beat...

This sounds like a solution rickgregory ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB50C115-00A0-4599-906B-D3F8DF63B5CA.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1239358

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That would work thought I'd go to 900ml vs a full liter. it's a guide, but usually coffee to water works best in a 1:15 ratio. So 60g coffee -> 900g water total.

The OXO grinder is on its way but still debating over the pour over versus immersion based on my level of laziness.

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You could just do a drip maker. It's what I've done for a longtime until I started doing pourovers and you can easily do both depending. The Hario V60 in plastic is $6. If you have a kettle, that's all you need to try pourovers and see how you like them. A drip would be nice for times when you want more volume. The OXO or Bonavita drip coffee makers are both very good.

Leaning towards buying one of those drippers that will fit on top of my current carafe (a full-sized one). Then I can try making the full pot of coffee using the posted method, and slide the carafe on my automatic drip warming plate for a few hours (assuming I can turn it on without having to make coffee). Best of all worlds?

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "slide the carafe on my automatic drip warming plate for a few hours "

Don't do this, the coffee cooks and turns bleh. Preheat a thermos with hot water, pour the water out, pour extra hot coffee in.

If you are putting milk or cream in your coffee there is no point in getting a burr grinder period. You wont taste the difference and IMO a decent burr grinder is at least $600. The cheaper ones drift and your grind will always be different even if you have the same setting.
                If you like cold brew and can tolerate the higher caffeine then I recommend that. You can get excellent coffee with low acidity and never have to wait for it because you pour it out of a carafe in your fridge. It can all be accomplished with a blade grinder or even use the grinder at your grocery store "french press" setting is best for cold brew. You can cut it with fresh boiled water for a hot "americano" or use half caff etc. Of course you have to take the time to make it and clean up which might not suit you.
                You can make great drip coffee with a regular blade grinder if you grind fresh and weigh your beans and water to dose correctly. Yes dosage matters, more is not always better. I agree with rickgregory on not leaving a carafe on a hot plate. Put it in a thermos.

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Given my nearly minimal knowledge of coffee making, I am not sure I could even appreciate the difference between my $70 OXO and a $600 grinder.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here