Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st coffee roast success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st coffee roast success!

Thanks pitmasters for the good advice and tips, I bought a cheap air popper and turned these out in 6 minutes flat! Will let degass on a cookie sheet over night and grind them up for a taste test at work tomorrow, I’m looking forward to going down this fun path. Fyi so glad I did this in my garage due to smoke and smell 😆
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3E773CC9-FE63-4DDE-A7A2-5DB372333A70.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1179885

Nice work.

Comment

Nice. I'm looking forward to my first roaster (SR800) being shipped to me. Ordered it from Sweet Maria's on Tuesday but no shipping notice yet. Once it comes, I hope my first roast turns out as nice as yours.

Comment

The best part of waking up is Fresh ground coffee in my cup.
        Happy for you.
        Please let us know how it pairs with whisky. The true test of coffee.

Comment

air popper works great for next to no investment.
          My wife does not like the smell of roasting coffee so I had to go outside to do it. The air popper goes much slower outside in the winter. If you put it in a cardboard box it recirculates the heat a bit.

Comment

Congrats. I hope you have fun, ( and great coffee), with it.

Comment

Waitin fer the results. So far so good.

Comment

• marshall
                marshall commented
                Editing a comment
                Tasted sooo good, but wasn’t quite strong enough, will tweak and try again, probably can’t go back to the store bought stuff

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                The strength of coffee mostly depends on how much you use. A deep roast doesn’t increase the "strength". If you use a scale to determine amount of coffee that will determine the taste you have or desire, mostly, sorta. What type of brew do you use?
                Last edited by FireMan; February 25, 2022, 01:19 PM.

• RichardCullip
                RichardCullip commented
                Editing a comment
                One thing to tweek is the rest period btwn roasting and grinding. Some coffees improve with a few days rest before grinding the roasted beans.

I know a fellow that roasts his own coffee beans and he does it in garage as he says it is too messy to do in the house and he is not married. That sounds like an interesting project, I get a lot of good ideas on this site.

Comment

Great job! Those look really good.

Comment

My first attempt at roasting coffee beans hasn't happened yet. Any day now I'm sure. I was excited last night when UPS delivered my order from Sweet Maria's only to be disappointed when I realized I only got the bags of green coffee beans. The SR800 was MIA. According to Sweet Maria's it is still on it's way. I'm trying to be patient but MCS has a firm grip on me right now.
                  Last edited by RichardCullip; March 2, 2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• marshall
                    marshall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looking forward to your results !

As soon as they are cool enough to handle I put them in a tin with a one way valve. The outgassing CO2 pushes out the oxygen, at least until you open it later.

Comment

• gboss
                    gboss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Airscape?

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Airscape doesn’t really seem to vent it just pushes the air out when you close. Maybe I don’t understand it.

I like the coffee gator one. I also sometimes use ball jars with the same valved lids I use for fermentation.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here