Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee bean roasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee bean roasting?

Does anyone have experience or roast there own green coffee beans? I bought a pack for the first time and put them in a cast iron skillet on my blackstone at about 400 degrees, I constantly stirred them for 1 hrs before giving up, they never had cracked and started to smell burned , I did grind them and make coffee the next day but it was not good! Very sour taste! Any insight would be awesome as I want to try this again soon,
    the only thing I could find online was maybe the beans had to low moisture content? Maybe a bad batch? Thanks !
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BBF2FC0A-4430-4D44-BC70-6D8B11C8918C.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	1178722 Click image for larger version

Name:	59E16420-7577-466D-BA71-562D0BB659C1.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1178723 Click image for larger version

Name:	2E9CC375-FACD-4121-8A54-5EB54E363D71.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1178724
    Attached Files

Those look pretty light still. THE place to start is here https://www.sweetmarias.com

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• Debra
      Debra commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

I started with the fresh roast. Works well but makes plenty of smoke. Can’t run it outside under say 50F or the heating element can’t heat the cold air enough. The add on tube helps a bit also.

now you can roast but need lots of heat and constant movement. I may try on a rotisserie if I can get it moving enough.

You need high temp and high heat flux. Can be a challenge for sure. Sweetmarias mentioned above is a great place for info and equipment. Click image for larger version

Name:	3254A37D-373B-417D-8323-685D97EF9E0D.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1178735

Name:	F606B575-2FBD-491A-86E8-41BD15C5116C.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	1178736
    Last edited by Polarbear777; February 21, 2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Left final pic is just after first crack (sounds like popcorn). The right it at second crack (sounds like rice crispies). They darken gradually and it moves fast at the end. The sound is most reliable for me to judge when to stop.

Maybe use a popcorn machine?

perhaps what you did was perfectly fine but you needed to crank your stovetop to a higher burn level? Not all stoves have a Super Burner element, but perhaps your 400 degrees isn't hot enough - can you get to 450?

**** EDIT: FireMan says do NOT follow this suggestion. ******
    Last edited by WillTravelForFood; February 21, 2022, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Or maybe add something fun to your grill? Will certainly make it easier on your stirring hand.

Name:	F6DW6DNIA3RB61B.jpg?auto=webp&fit=bounds&frame=1&height=1024&width=1024.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1178732

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        😲 I do have a rotisserie!

I would love to, but the equipment needed...I just buy from a local roaster a week at a time. Get them still hot and offgassing

Comment

It was suggested to turn stove burner higher- NO, No, NO! It must be done outside. You will never get rid of the smoke. I’ve done it on a Lodge Sportsman w/lots of charcoal. An hour will burn the dickens out of it. It’s not that hard to do. Once you master it you’ll never go back. I am about to use a Click image for larger version

Name:	7874BB79-FA0D-49B2-A726-168601B054FF.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1178742

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems like a good way to stir the pot.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          And we all know someone who likes to stir the pot...

Anyone think this would work decent?
        Attached Files

Comment

We have been home roasting for a number of years and love it. We currently also use the Fresh Roast SR540. It does put out smoke, but we set the roaster on the stove top with the vent running and don't have any problem smoking out the house. Admittedly, we have a fairly high power stove vent, but we don't need to run it on high.

The fun of home roasting is to try different roast levels on the same green beans to tune them to your liking.

MCS has a long reach.....

Comment

We use a Behmor 1600 Roaster and it gives great results. Here is a link their newer model https://behmor.com/behmor-2000ab-plus/

Comment

Have been roasting since 2010. Started with popcorn air popper which worked well but batch size small. Upgraded to a Behmor 1600 and did a few upgrades to it along the way. After about 800 roasts or so the main board blew. I upgraded to the 2000AB and was able to fix the 1600 and gave it to my son. Behmor service was incredibly helpful. I usually get beans from Sweet Marias. Generally brew in Aeropress but occasionally other methods. I vary much enjoy the coffee I roast and prefer it to almost anything- except when my machine was out of commish- got some from Intelligentsia in Chicago which was awesome but also like $18 for 12 oz, I usually pay $6-7 for unroasted.
              Not a "super taster" by any means.
              I like African usually Ethiopian also Kenyan. I look for sweet tasting with no sugar added. Love looking for the places I get the coffees on Google maps
              I got some bakery bags with little windows and love to give samples of roasts to friends.
              There is a guy with a program called Roaster Thing which mirrors the Behmor closely. I recently turned over on my 900th roast see screenshot..
              Sweet Marias has a lot of info on their site- how to do it with air popper, Whirley pop and others. Never saw it done in cast iron but I'm sure its possible.
              Attached Files

Comment

• marshall
                marshall commented
                Editing a comment
                Impressive roasting! Thank you for the good info!

Been roasting for 20 years. You should start with an air roaster like a Freshroast. Some people start with a popcorn popper. You need to get the heat, volume and time correct to get a decent roast. An air popper will get these parameters close. Sweet Marias, Coffee Bean Coral, Burman Coffee all offer green beans. Green runs about $8/lb shipped for very good quality beans. If you buy 12 oz for $15-$20 roasting your own pays for itself quickly. If you want to get in more deeply, then a HotTop is a great home drum roaster that will do 250g / batch. A good resource is homebarista.com They have forums including roasting.

Comment

• marshall
                marshall commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks so much 😃

I think an air popper for pop corn is a good option. Never done it myself though.

Comment

Okay, lately I've been enjoying the fresh roasted beans from Henry's House of Coffee and had never thought of roasting my own coffee beans but now I've got a bad case of MCS........

Comment

• marshall
                  marshall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We can take this journey together my friend 😆

@rickgregory I will second the Sweet Maria suggestion.
                We used the FireMan method for years and finally broke down and purchased a Hot Top bean roaster. Ours must be knocking on the door of 15 plus yers old and still going strong. Our model is much more manual than these new models, and it was around $500 when we purchased. FireMan gives very good advice on coffee roasting. It is an outdoor activity.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting...-8828b-2k.html
                Last edited by Debra; February 22, 2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here