Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best big batch Margaritas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best big batch Margaritas

I enjoy a good margarita - a good blanco tequila, a nice triple sec, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup are the ingredients to make a simple, refreshing, and delicious margarita.

But when you are having a party, how do you serve a quality margarita that is easy to make and won’t break the bank? Well, I stumbled across this recipe one day and it’s been my go-to ever since. Yes, I think it’s the best big batch margarita, but try it and let me know what you think. And I’m not so naive to think that there aren’t others use the same or similar recipe. So, if you make something similar, chime in!

Here ya go:
    ** 12 oz container frozen lime aid (I use MinuteMaid), partially thawed - save the container and use to measure next ingredients
    ** 12 oz water
    ** 12 oz blanco tequila (I’ve been using Lunazul, which is cheap and actually very good. If you want to use a repasado tequila, go ahead. You do you)
    ** 6 oz (1/2 your lime aid container) triple-sec
    ** 1 bottle Corona beer (yes, you read correctly)

Mix everything until lime aid dissolves
    Serve with lime wedges and course salt

We make these from time to time with a slight variation. Instead of the triple-sec I put in 12 oz. of a soft drink called Squirt. And yes, you read that right. Very good stuff! Will have to try the triple-sec version!

Comment

A friend served 'Beergaritas' at a BBQ a few years ago and now when it's hot we make them regularly. They are easy to prep just before the guests arrive and easy and quick to make another batch(s) as needed.

One container (not sure if it is 12 or maybe 8oz) of frozen Lime aid.
      Five beer of your choice
      five oz of your favorite tequila

Add tequila to the frozen Lime aid and stir until the ice is well broken up.

Add beer and gently stir as to not completely flatten your beer and serve!

Now I'm thirsty...

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialDawg View Post
        (I’ve been using Lunazul, which is cheap and actually very good. If you want to use a repasado tequila, go ahead. You do you)
        Lunazul is a great tequila for the price. Their gold is good too!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post

Lunazul is a great tequila for the price. Their gold is good too!
          Haven't tried that one... we like Camarena Reposado. About $33 for the half gallon. Lunazul in the same ballpark?

<edit> Oh, and ColonialDawg, I like your recipe quite a bit, I'll be using that this summer. The one thing I will add is some cognac or a nice brandy. Seems to help round things out, and for us, using a quality (not expensive!) orange liqueur is key.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            1 L of Lunazul Blanco tequila costs $22 at my local ABC store. I agree that a good orange liqueur does make a difference - I use Contreau personally.

ColonialDawg, Gents, Thank For The Recipe and the Vaious Tips and Mods❗️ GOD LORD, I Hope It Warms Up Up Here Soon❗️
          Maybe +50* F Tomorrow, First Time in 141 Days❓❓
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Thanks! We have a margarita party on that follows right after the bbq cookout every 4th of July.

Comment

If you are entertaining a large group consider making the margs in advance and in bulk and serving them via a champagne fountain. All you have to do is ensure the fountain is topped up from time to time. The guests can help themselves and that will free you up to attend the BBQ or whatever. It gives the BBQ party a "classy" type feel😀

Comment

Lunazul is really good for the price point.

Comment

Hey been behind the bar for 16 years, last year even won a national marg competition to go down to Herradura's Hacienda, and the easiest way to go on margs is two ounces of tequila to 3/4 fresh lime juice(even store bought fresh like nature valley) and 3/4 agave syrup(1/2 agave, 1/2 hot water, stir to combine and chill). If youre gonna shake em, ten seconds in a shaker where the ice level is over the liquid line and strain on fresh rocks. If you are doing frozen make sure to add a bit more agave or sweetener because as temperature drops we taste sugar less but acidity pickup pretty much remains the same. If you want to do something fun and have prep time, in an airtight container put in 1 liter tequila, 3/4 a pineapple and 1 sliced jalapeno and let rest for about 3 days. Strain it and use that tequila same build for margarita. Salt the rim with some citrus salt and you my friend will have a drink you wont be able to make quickly enough for guests. If you wanna batch them ahead of time and just add about 40% volume water to the agave tequila and lime and chill in your fridge in an airtight container. This mimicks the dilution from shaking a single cocktail and dont think this is watering down your drink, this is what makes it pleasing to the palate and able to taste all the flavors of good tequila, i mean to open up amazing scotch flavors we add water too right? Cheers or as they say south of the border Arriba, Abajo, Al Centro, Y Pa'dentro.
                  Last edited by Robvjr; August 31, 2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m going to have to try that.

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, I tried your Tommy Margarita recipe and it's on par with, if not better than, any margarita I have made with triple sec. I tried it with a repasado and a blanco infused with jalapeno and they both were excellent. I definitely want to try the pineapple/jalapeno infused tequila. Do you chop the pineapple into chunks or small pieces?
                    Last edited by ColonialDawg; September 4, 2018, 06:09 AM.

• Robvjr
                    Robvjr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome glad it worked out well. Usually I just core a pineapple and then slice it, but anything that gives you more surface area touching the tequila the more flavor you’ll pull out, though it will definitely be more of a pain to strain the smaller the pieces are.
                    Last edited by Robvjr; September 4, 2018, 07:55 AM.

Haven't made any for large groups, but here are two of my favorite tequilas for shaken on the rocks, Don Julio Anejo or Herradura Reposado. The Bone Daddy's is a really good mix and the Grand Marnier is way better than triple sec. Not the cheapest from a price point, but I'm worth it. :-) Click image for larger version  Name:	11182086_972307296143370_6408571702579128898_n.jpg Views:	2 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	558386​
                  Last edited by wrgilb; August 31, 2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don Julio is great. I use cointreau usually. Sometimes Grand Marnier. Never triple sec.

Well that's certainly one way to improve the bad taste of a Corona!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here