Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiskey Sour Max!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiskey Sour Max!

So during our trip back to Madison, WI this summer to visit my family, I had perhaps the BEST whiskey sour of my life. But I couldn't quite figure out what it was that made it so special. After doing some research, I figured out what is was -- orange bitters. So try one yourself and let me know what you think!!

2oz whiskey (i prefer bulleit bourbon)
    0.75oz simple syrup
    0.75oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
    2 dashes angostura orange bitters -- https://www.amazon.com/Angostura-Ora...ag=amazi0a8-20

Shake with ice, strain and pour over crushed ice. Garnish with a maraschino cherry

Enjoy!!

Proper!

Comment

where did you get it? i'm partial to whiskey sours

Comment

I've been using bitters in my whiskey sours for quite a while and it makes an incredible difference!

I make my own S&S mix fresh from lemons and limes, mix about half and half with water and sweeten to taste. I use Splenda myself and it is great, but there is a certain percentage of people who can taste the sucralose difference and can't stand Splenda. To me, it tastes just like sugar, so no need for the extra added calories if I don't need them.

My next door neighbor/drinkin' buddy never liked whiskey sours 'till he tried one of mine! The key is the fresh sweet & sour mix made from scratch and the bitters. And using good whiskey - I really like making these with a good rye more than bourbon. Hard to beat it!

Comment

Sounds delish, almost makes me wanna try a mixed drink, vs.: neat bourbon/rye....

Comment

I'll add to this, I picked up a bottle of orange bitters and did NOT like it in my whiskey sours. I went back to my old standby of regular bitters. I think they're The Bitter Truth brand.

Comment

Here's my whiskey sour--ripped off from Ina Garten's FN show of all places:
              • 3/4 cup whiskey
              • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
              • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
              • 2/3 cup sugar syrup (see note)
              • Ice cubes
              • Maraschino cherries
              It's darned tasty and quite potent. I like your bitters idea!
              Last edited by Willy; May 12, 2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Chef BS
                Chef BS commented
                Editing a comment
                Would you add the bitters to your recipe or adjust it somehow?

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Chef BS I have never added bitters to a whiskey sour, but I do plan on trying them in it soon. I don't have the orange bitters he specified yet.

Try it with a real Maraschino cherry! I made some last summer. They are way better than the cheap candied Cherries in the stupor markets.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Recipe or source????

Willy , this is as close as I could get. I actually added allspice instead of some of the other spices and I used a bag of frozen tart Cherries that were already pitted. But as cherry season approaches, I plan to get several pounds of fresh cherries to experiment with different spices.

This is recipe comes from http://www.acozykitchen.com/homemade...hino-cherries/

Maraschino Cherries
              • 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
              • 1/4 vanilla bean, scraped
              • 1 cinnamon stick
              • Pinch of nutmeg
              • Juice from 1 lemon
              • 1/2 cup water
              • 1 pound sour cherries (regular cherries work, too! go for firm cherries), stems removed and pitted
              • 1 cup luxardo liqueur

Directions
              1. To a medium saucepan (don’t turn the heat on yet), combine the sugar and vanilla bean caviar. Rub the vanilla bean with the sugar until it’s evenly distributed throughout—don’t be shy to use your hands! Turn the flame to medium, add the cinnamon stick, pinch of nutmeg, juice from 1 lemon and water. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
              2. Turn the heat down to low and add the cherries. Cook the cherries at a simmer for about 3 minutes, until they’re slightly softened. Remove from the heat and stir in the luxardo liqueur. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
              3. If you’re not canning, then feel free to fill up a few jars with the cherries and liquid. If you are canning them, then be sure to bring a large pot of water to a boil. Gently drop in the jars and boil for about 1 minute. I followed the rules off of Weck Jars’ website. Per their instruction, place on the tops, with the fastens and drop them into the boiling water. Bring the water back up to a boil and cook for at least 3 minutes. Carefully remove jars from the water and allow to cool completely. Remove the fastens.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here