Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aged Eggnog in September

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Aged Eggnog in September

    I've warned you all about weird stuff happening in my kitchen. Well, I stumbled across this recipe for aged eggnog a few years ago in the quiet time between Christmas and New Years, preparing Alton Brown's version of rib roast (my go-to, FYI). I keep forgetting to make it in the fall. Well not this year...I put it on my whiteboard in the kitchen a couple months ago to remind and I finally made it last night, exactly three months before Christmas.

    This recipe has several of the vices of modern man: alcohol, sugar, nutmeg (look it up, lol), and saturated fat. Which is why we indulge at the appropriate time.

    Ingredients: egg yolks, sugar, fresh ground nutmeg, half and half, milk, heavy cream, bourbon, cognac, and Jamaican rum.

    I cleared out all my liquor earlier this year, so this is what I had to acquire for the recipe (cheaper bourbon and rum, decent VSOP cognac). I use my alcohol for cooking and baking, primarily...not trying to impress anyone.😀
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260925_185141.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	1888947

    Beating egg, nutmeg, and sugar:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260925_191050.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	1888949
    After blending in dairy and booze:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260925_192324.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	1888948

    Jarred and ready to chill for three months; yield 102 fluid ounces:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260925_193310.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1888946

    Notes:
    • I forgot how good the smell of freshly grated nutmeg is. If you are ever sad or depressed, just grate some nutmeg; immediate mood booster. I tossed my old ground nutmeg and replaced with the fresh stuff.
    • I don't know why Alton Brown had half-and-half, heavy cream and milk. You can eliminate at least one of the ingredients and adjust if it is milkfat content you're aiming for. The only thing I could think is that it is easier to just pick up pints (the measurements in the recipe) and add them. I keep all three, generally. I'll figure it out and adjust my version to simplify.
    • The words 'aged eggnog' sound scary to me. So this was a leap of faith. Given the alcohol and sugar level, I'm not too worried.
    • A pound of sugar is a lot of sugar.
    • This eggnog has got to beat the heck of out the store bought stuff.
    That's it until December. If it kills me when I drink it, just know that I've had a good run (kidding of course). Looking forward to trying this.

    Recipe:
    https://altonbrown.com/recipes/aged-eggnog/

    #2
    Love Eggnog. I will have to give this a try. When I lived on the Mtn in TN, we had a annual progressive Christmas Dinner/Party in our cul de sac. One friend made fresh and potent eggnog every year. In 30 years, we only got sick once, blaming the eggnog.

    Comment


      #3
      That eggnog recipe is not messing around!

      Comment


        #4
        I have an unhealthy love of eggnog. For more than a decade I’ve said I should make my own. Still haven’t done it. Will this finally be the reminder to make an aged eggnog?

        …probably not, but a boy can dream!

        Comment


        • HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          Santamarina , it's easy. Hardest part was getting all the ingredients together. Second hardest part is the waiting....

        #5
        I think I would have to take Alton’s suggestion to use pasteurized eggs. I wonder if vacuum sealing the jars would change the flavor?

        Comment


        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          I would think not…..

        • HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting thought. I wouldn't think the flavor would change given the amount of alcohol. There would be minimal oxidation/chemical reaction, but that might be noticeable after a very long time, along the lines of blended and aged liquors (arminac, cognac, etc.), but that is an entirely different experiment, lol.

        #6
        Unfortunately I use my alcohol mostly for drinking

        Comment


        • HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          I assure you sir, this will get drunk.

        • klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          HotSun I don't get drunk anymore. Or if I do, I don't remember

        #7
        I age my eggnog by forgetting to put it into the fridge and leaving it out for a week.

        Comment


        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Not really a like….🤢

        • HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha...yours lasts that long?

        #8
        I use his recipe, but combine all the alcohols into just bourbon. Once you have aged eggnog, you will never go back.

        Comment


        • HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          I would probably go the other direction to the cognac, as that is what I serve off-the-shelf eggnog with. I may do a split batch with each liquor to see what I end up with.

        • texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Southern comfort seems to be the one i use the most.

        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          A former employer would make us all “bourbon cream” which was Evan Williams and heavy cream that “aged” for a while.

        #9
        Getting close to the time of year that a local somebody will be making batches of "Bear Trap" moonshine... thats another good one.

        Comment


        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
          I guess I meant “unofficial” proof 🤪

        • Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          If it’s anything like what we used to get in Wynnewood, Oklahoma it’s a multi purpose wonder. It is a great paint remover even after spending a short amount of time in a stomach. It’s good fuel for your zippo lighter. In a tight spot it will work as fuel for your car. Mixed 50/50 with tequila to calm it down a bit it makes a great tequila sunrise. It is probably the best thing on the planet for removing inhibitions. A few ounces of it and you will see just how uninhibited someone can get.

        • texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn Oak Smoke well, let's just say I wouldn't pour it into Styrofoam cups.

        #10
        I gotta try this!

        I'll just leave this right here to remind myself!

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Eggnog2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1889632

        Comment


        • HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          Hilarious.

        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Quite!

        #11
        I guess the alcohol content kills the bacteria and prevents spoilage of the eggs over that 3 month aging period?

        Sadly I have never been able to make myself like eggnog. The texture is just off-putting to me, personally. My wife and some of the kids like it.

        Comment


        • texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          The sugar is a preservative as well.

        #12
        Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        I guess the alcohol content kills the bacteria and prevents spoilage of the eggs over that 3 month aging period?

        Sadly I have never been able to make myself like eggnog. The texture is just off-putting to me, personally. My wife and some of the kids like it.
        I love the RIGHT eggnogg. Around here, Braum's is the right eggnog, without a doubt.

        Although, I prolly shouldn't drink it much... lotta calories and sugar in there. We look forward to 'eggnog season' every year, but I think last year I only drank it maybe 2-3 times. I'll have to restrict myself again this year. The old waistline has gotten way too expansive again. <sigh>

        Comment


        • Purc
          Purc commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a Braum's very close to me and I still forget about them but I will try their eggnog.

        • realdocBBQ
          realdocBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man, if they have it, you really should try it. It is head and shoulders above every other one I have tried.

        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          My sissy loves Braums.

      Announcement

      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      0
      Guest
      Guest
      500
      ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
      7