Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cocktail hour draws near...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocktail hour draws near...

I haven't given it enough thought this week so I don't know what I'm going to make today. I did however use Cinco de Mayo as an excuse to have a mid-week cocktail and tried something new to me.

Naked and Famous
    • 3/4 ounce mezcal
    • 3/4 ounce yellow or green Chartreuse
    • 3/4 ounce Aperol
    • 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice

Add the mezcal, Chartreuse, Aperol, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker. Shake and
    strain into a cocktail glass. If desired, garnish with a lime wedge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	V2kVVm2EQWdgRx-t3tql2a_9MIZOX1JvzSR0vKJA6NyGkIjbsL3mYDqmx1LZ8fxxjZCxr3Vak_rXTl_S8fGFMARCYNgu4WMjtjqXWPfmoUFJVYDUGR_cmJwyW43MblXuoqva-yUs5_8V6Dak_g5NDZx1jgszZ5XzVEkTBeIZJ8ghM1rVJwDIXjWOfcu5ge2qskT4JH4pFpRFY0iSBGNkTHYPxCYqUNXJlrvmhmmM9exENtrC-v9wuxv1ZhiRsMs
Views:	229
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1217283

Leading candidates for today are now:
    • Tamarind Whiskey Sour
    • Bourbon Sidecar

Comment

Funny you mention Aperol we just brought a bottle today after my wife had Aperol Spritz cocktails at a wedding last weekend.
      Equal parts of Aperol, Prosecco or Champagne and soda water over ice.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed , too sweet for me too, the wife loved it so I splurged on her.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Speaking of champagne cocktails, ever try a French 75?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I'm not a champagne lover though I don't mind the Prosecco's available here.
        Its my daughter and wife ,somewhat, that are into those style of drinks.
        My wife was diagnosed with diabetes last year so has really curtailed her sugar intake.
        The simple syrup in the French 75 would really scare her away.
        I'm happy with most any beer.

Drinking a Tom Collins right now

Comment

I like these threads. Here we have a Martinez Cocktail

Name:	IMG_3352.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1217322

MARTINEZ

1.5 oz Gin -
        1.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
        1/3 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
        2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters

Pour ingredients into a mixing glass. Top with ice and stir until chilled. Strain into a chilled Martini glass.
        Garnish with an orange peel.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I do like the Martinez. I might have to work one of these in too.

Moments away from the leftover Margaritas from yesterday, leftover multi layer dip and leftover fajitas. Heck we are celebrating twice.

Comment

After a few of those I probably would be naked and be working on becoming famous,,,LOL !!!!

Comment

First up is the Tamarind Whiskey Sour

Name:	20220506_151551.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1217364
            • 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
            • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
            • 1 tablespoon tamarind paste mixed with 1 tablespoon hot water and cooled
            • 1/2 ounce Rich Simple Syrup
            • 1 orange slice and 1 jarred sour cherry (optional), for garnish
            This was quite good if you like tamarind. I'll give it 4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐ ⭐

Comment

I'm drinking brugal xv...little over neck and shoulders in. Was a gift from one of my employees in the DR.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I have never had that rum. But I'm not big on rum although last week's rum cocktails did deliver.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't like most rums either. Keep a bottle of plantation xo 20 for if I do, but this is totally different from even the brugal xv here in the states. They sent me a premium fum from Dr too, scared to open that bottle. Rum makes me think of shirtless college sorority girls on tables...I am a bourbon and scotch drinker myself.

I also made the Bourbon Sidecar.

Name:	20220506_163437~2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1217454
              • 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) bourbon whiskey*
              • 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Cointreau
              • ½ ounce (1 tablespoons) lemon juice
              • 1 teaspoon simple syrup
              • For the garnish: lemon twist or lemon peel

Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice and shake until cold.

Strain the drink into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist or orange twist.

This one gets a 3/5 ⭐⭐⭐ because a regular Sidecar is far better.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                What didn't you like about the bourbon in it? Was it too sweet?

Kathryn

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc Yes, and it wasn't complex enough.

Three Fingers of Black Velvet on a rock (one single ice cube).

Attjack That is the happiest warm grinning on the bottom of the Mezcal bottle. Good eating too.
              Last edited by bbqLuv; May 6, 2022, 09:35 PM.

Comment

This drink is dedicated to Rich Strike the underdog winner of the 2022 Kentucky Derby.

Mint Julep
                • 8 mint leaves, plus mint sprigs for garnish
                • 1/2 ounce Simple Syrup
                • 2 ounces bourbon, preferably overproof
                • Crushed ice
                In a chilled julep cup or fizz glass, muddle the mint leaves and Simple Syrup. Add the bourbon and crushed ice. Set a swizzle stick or bar spoon in the cup and spin between your hands to mix. Top with additional crushed ice and garnish with the mint sprigs.

I used about 3 ounces of bourbon.

My late mother gave me this ice crusher. I haven't used it for years but it made me think of her when I used it today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220507_170634.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	1217947

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220507_171513.jpg Views:	3 Size:	849.9 KB ID:	1217948
                Last edited by Attjack; May 7, 2022, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Greygoose
                  Greygoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mint Julep perfection !

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Colonel Shuffle would be proud....oh Magnolia Blossom...another Mint Julip please....

I'm enjoying this topic, Attjack . I like choosing one of your recipes at random and trying it. I don't drink much hard liquor, but it's fun now and again to try a new-to-me cocktail.

Thanks for the recipes and the taste test results.

Kathryn

Comment

I'll tell ya, the worst thing living near a college town is, while there are plenty of bars to get a drink, there are very few good ones that know how to make a drink. And forget getting a classic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here