Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Craft Beer Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Craft Beer Thread

So, I thought I would start a thread at which members could call out their favorite micro-breweries or craft beer stops in their respective cities. When I visit other cities, I like to get a taste of the local craft beer scene. So, I will get the thread started by noting my favorite craft beer places in Charlotte, North Carolina. I will call out three; you can call out as many as you like. First up is Blue Blaze Brewing in the Wesley Heights neighborhood. Great assortment of different styles, always fresh and amazing, and has a cool hiking/outdoor vibe to it. Second, is Triple C Brewing Company. One of the earlier micro-breweries in Charlotte. Superb beer and constantly changing taps. Third is Growler’s Pourhouse in the NoDA district. They have a CAMRA compliant pump for pouring out real English ale. Great stuff.

I know this is heresy, but are there some good low carb craft beers that taste decent? The two low carb beers that I have tasted (Corona Premier and Michelob Ultra) have not been worth the calories.

I was hoping that a few beer artisans have come up with commercially available and delicious low carb brews.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Craigar , I located some Dogfish Slightly Mighty IPA in a town about 30 minutes from my home. So I'll be tracking it down soon. Thanks again.

pkadare In the meanwhile I've sampled a pretty tasty pilsner called Scrimshaw by North Coast Brewery. Only 2 gm carbs and fewer than 100 calories. 4.5%ABV. https://northcoastbrewing.com/beers/...er-style-beer/

Kathryn

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I hope you like it.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's sad Dogfish was bought out by Samuel Adams. Both good breweries. Things are just better when left alone.

Great thread. I was a home brewer for many years before life got busy. Some of my favorite styles are ESB, Porters and a English style IPA. Of course, I don’t shy away from any style, but those are my faves. Locally, Cahaba Brewing and Good People are tasty choices. But love that I have ATL selections 2 hours away.

Comment

My favorite local brewery is Kulshan Brewing. Boundary Bay Brewery is also really good. Chuckanut Brewery is good if you like European style beers (which I don’t). Aslan Brewing is pretty good too. There’s so many good west coast breweries. My two favorite are probably Stone and Melvin, although Melvin is based out of Wyoming but the owner is from the city I live in (Bellingham).

Comment

Going to throw down some bragging rights: The first company to start the "craft brewery" craze was the Mendocino Brewing Company/Hopland Brewery, of Redtail Ale fame, from my home town of Hopland, CA. At one point I lived about 200 yds down the street from the brewpub and let me tell you, I used both sides of the highway to walk home a time or two.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; August 31, 2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Bumby MBC laid claim to being the first brewpub in the California since prohibition. A brewpub being a facility that makes and pours its products at the same facility. I'm sure there's other stipulations, but that's the gist of it. Interestingly, Don Barkley and Micheal Lovett were brewers for New Albion Brewing company before teaming up with Mike Layborne and Norman Franks to start MBC. All were friends and it was fun to be a part of their experience.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; November 10, 2019, 02:47 PM.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Additionally, while the breweries mentioned had great products, they didn't have the pizzazz or mystique or whatever that "It" factor that MBC had. It was a hip joint in a hip little town. Mike Layborne was a big blues fan and he attracted a lot of talented artists like Charlie Musselwhite, Maria Muldauer, Chis Cain, etc. to play on Saturday nights.People would come from all over the Bay Area to hang out, drink great ales, and listen to great music.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; November 10, 2019, 11:56 AM.

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike I seriously did just laugh out loud 😂

Great idea for a thread.
        Seems every small town of note in Southern Ontario has a craft brewery now.
        Trying to work my way thru them....tough sledding somethings....
        So far two favs are Wasaga Beach Brewing and Port Credit Brewing.
        fzxdoc so far no low carb beers worth mentioning so far around here, but, rest assured I won't give up looking.
        Last edited by smokin fool; August 31, 2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Personally, I think the development of small craft breweries is one of the most important developments of the late 20th century if not for most of the history of Western Civilization. Thanks for responding. I’m writing ‘em down . . . .
          Last edited by Bobmcgahan; August 31, 2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
            Bobmcgahan commented
            Editing a comment
            There is no stopping progress. Onward and forward. Welcome to the 21st century.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Before my sister moved to Dallas she lived in Kaufman when it was in a dry county.
            Had to drive to the Walmart in Tyler for your booze and now your can buy direct from the brewer....

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s really a return to what we had for most of history - beer made and sold on premise at local pubs. Housewives made beer in revolutionary times in many households.

I don't have a favorite local brewery. Most around here seem to love hops, and I can't take the taste. I prefer beers with an IBU of 20 or less, and the locals seem to think the IBUs need to be over 30...

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to brew and drink IPA’s, but got over the hop thing. These days I am brewing blondes, porters, Irish reds, Hefeweizen, and other beers that are not overly hoppy.

• Bobmcgahan
            Bobmcgahan commented
            Editing a comment
            @fjmorris, exactly.

• Bumby
            Bumby commented
            Editing a comment
            I did just have some great stuff from Hardywood -- Been trying to get my hands on their gingerbread stout.

My local brew pub is pretty good, they are too small to distribute for now but plan on expanding to a much bigger facility at the Neches River front soon. Not long ago, one of the only (or maybe the only) female Master Cicerone came in and stated that their beers are really good.

Neches Brewing Company, Port Neches, Texas. 14,712 likes · 350 talking about this · 12,846 were here. First brewery in Southeast Texas
          Last edited by 58limited; August 31, 2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I don't drink much beer but live near Asheville, NC which has been named Beer City, USA the last few years due to the 35 craft breweries there. The highest number of any city per capita in the US.
            Asheville has the most breweries per capita in the U.S. Find great beer festivals, tour local breweries and distilleries and taste Asheville's best brews.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 31, 2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I like Great Lakes Brewery, the one in Cleveland. Also Founder’s and Troegg’s. All their stuff is pretty reliable. Dogfish Head, someone stuff I like and some I don’t. There’s a Chilean brewery, Szot, that brews a damn good beer.

Everyone is pretty reliable with the IPAs now. I like good lagers and pilsners just as much, if not more. The sours I don’t care for.

Comment

• au4stree
                au4stree commented
                Editing a comment
                Had the pleasure of getting one of these years ago. Quite delicious!
                this is no ordinary beer. At once malty and crisp. Traditional yet timeless. A rebel with a sweet side. This deliciously dark double bock calls for so much grain we had to custom-build our brewhouse around it. Layered with notes of smooth caramel, stone fruit and fresh toasted grains, ’Nator is a beer for people […]

• Bobmcgahan
                Bobmcgahan commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree on the sours and Gose. I think sometimes the craft breweries try to get a little gimmicky. But, it's amazingly fresh and, as noted, I like the whole craft beer scene. Very family friendly, great meeting houses to meet up with friends. A worthy successor to bowling nights.

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                A big fan of Great Lakes

Maine Beer Co.
              Trillium
              Tree House

All awesome breweries. Honorable mention Bissel Brothers, Night Shift, Allegash.

Comment

So...

I have this Really Cool, young neighbour, who is also a Pit Member, Rickie ...

Wail, originally, he hails from Virginia Beach, yall see?

He, an Mrs Rickie, an Graham all went back fer a few weeks, a few weeks ago...

I told him to stop by, give a try to Young Veterans Brewing Company, lemme know what he thought, since I ain't been able to make it there, quite yet.

He brought me back some brews (through TSA, yall!), an some swag, in th form of 2 t shirts, one ball cap, an a .50 cal round bottle opener... Guess which one caused his luggage to git thoroughly tossed by TSA????

I'da Loved to seen their eyebulbs go all kinda Barney Fife, when they seen th .50 cal round on their ho-hum, routine scan lol!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190831_174455 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	520.5 KB ID:	737926
                Gotta say, in all honesty, truth be told, when it's all been said, an done, I found Private Plumb to be too "In my face", th overall flavour was a good pairin, but I would love to tipple it if they pulled th fruit back, some...

Pineapple Grenade, that was a tasty brew, an not nearly so tart, sour, or puckering...I enjoyed it, on a hot arse Summer day, right after work...

Rickie also brought me back 3 40's of additional YVBC brew, but I ain't tooken no pics of em, jus yet.

Tomorrow's anuther day, way I reckon it.

Comment

Fury Brewing Company in Irwin, PA is doing some amazing barrel aged beers using whiskey barrels. I recently got to try their Fury of Darkness stout beer that they aged in Buffalo Trace barrels. It's a Bourbon drinkers beer for sure. https://furybrewingcompany.com/
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
                    Bobmcgahan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will have to get there. I was in Carlisle, PA this weekend and am always a fan of Molly Pitcher Brewing Company. Good assortment of beers and really good food.

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not a stout fan but whiskey barrel aging beer is a stroke of genius

When in Seattle give these three a try.

Fremont Brewing
                  Reubens Brewing
                  Holy Mountain Brewing

Comment

• Red Man
                    Red Man commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fremont is one of my favorites. Don’t think I’ve ever seen Holy Mountain.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here