Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of beer do you like pairing with your meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of beer do you like pairing with your meat?

For me it depends, if it's a strong meat such as brisket, I go for a Scotch ale like OB Old Chub or a RIS such as a Founder's, with chicken it would be some type of Ale like Sierra Nevada or if I'm lucky a Pliny. Let me know!

I like a brown ale such as Surly Bender or Newcastle with pork. I tend to drink Alaskan Amber or something similar with beef. If we're eating hotdogs, I'm drinking Red Dog. When sitting down to drink beer, where beer is the center of attention, I like to drink barrel aged beers, porters, and stouts.

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      especially for breakfast! (the stout and porters)

I don't drink. OK, OK - maybe a lil drinky every once in a while. I have a gene that makes bitter flavors taste bad, and hops adds bitterness. So any beer I drink has to have very little hops and be below 30 IBUs, (International Bitterness Units), and preferably below 20 IBUs. So I drink mostly wheat beers.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a good hefeweizen is in order! My recipe has only 13 IBU's of bitterness, and is 70% wheat malt, 30% pilsner.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris - I'll send you my mailing addy.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB haha - I've yet to brew the hefeweizen for this summer's drinking. I'm running a month or two behind schedule...

Cold.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Beat me to th draw, Brother!
      That was what I intended to answer!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I guess that saying about great minds is true, Hermano. How are you doing these days?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Doin as well as I can reasonably expect; Above Ground, an Pumpin Air!
      Ya definitely have a great mind, Hermano!
      I have zero doubts bout yer Genius Status; it's always mine that I question!
      I always cherish hearin from ya, an many thanks fer askin after my well-beins!

^ Pass me a cold Shiner Bock and I'm good!

Comment

Always a pale ale, including IPAs. It’s by far my preferred style. But you know what? A good smoky scotch ale would probably make the start of a good BBQ sauce.....

Comment

RonB
      Wheat beers are tasty!

I seldom deviate from my Daily Driver, Guinness Extra Stout...

When I do, a few local wheats are often called upon:
      Boulevard Wheat, from KCMO...
      Wheat State Golden, from right here in town...
      Both places offer takeaway Growlers!!!

I Highly Recommend Paulaner Hefeweizen, as well...quite likely one of th tastiest brews I have ever had...

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang Bones, you are I are gonna have to get together. All Guinness beer and all Heffes are in my preferred wheelhouse. (can't stand IPAs) !! I guess all geniuses think alike

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman Yer always welcome hereabouts! Stop on by, Brother!

I totally hear ya on hop-heavy beers; can't stand em, I must have some of them RonB anti-bitter jeans, even though I wash em, regular, like.

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        hacker pschorr and paulaner were my intro to hefe's as well the stout I really like is old rasputin russian imperial stout, it's my daily "nice light summer drinker"

I like pilsners for summer meals. I think the crispness complements the general heaviness of the typical offering.

But that’s not to say I wouldn’t drink just about anything. The only beers I don’t care much for are the sours. And, I don’t like the overly strong stuff that tastes like someone dropped a shot of whiskey into it (I’m looking at you, Old Curmudgeon).

Comment

Actually if I'm enjoying pork I'll get some hard cider to drink with it. Angry Orchard goes great with ribs and pulled pork in my opinion.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I absotively, posilutely LOVE th Angry Orchards ciders!

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          That just goes to show you the old image of the feast pig with the apple in its mouth was not far off...

For beef I'm happy with a cold PBR or Labatt Blue.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Drank them "River Boats" fer a long time, I've only had a few Labatts...sorta scarce, hereabouts...
          Also can recommend Rollin Rock, an Rainier, fer lighter Summer fare...

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've drank my share of Rolling Rocks.

The answer is- whatever I have in my fridge!

Right now, thanks to a good friend, I have 50 (now 46) different IPAs in my fridge as a gift for my 50th a week ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3229.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	504884
        Last edited by CowboyScott; May 25, 2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a Good Friend ya got there, amigo!

• CowboyScott
          CowboyScott commented
          Editing a comment
          I know- need to move things along!

I need more friends like him!

• OSB
          OSB commented
          Editing a comment
          If those aren't gone by now you really need to turn in your AR membership. Very nice Cowboy.

So a proctologist is examining a patient when his nurse walks into the exam room with a beer and hands it to the doctor. Doctor says, "no nurse Ratchet, I asked for a butt light....."

Click image for larger version

Name:	drum roll.gif
Views:	125
Size:	4.86 MB
ID:	504886

Comment

I'm an IPA guy, and the hoppier, the better!

Comment

Gimme a good craft Brown Ale, Pilsner or Lager with my day of smoking. I notice sour beers don't get a lot of love around here but I love them as well. If anyone is interested in trading beer from their area every once and a while let me know. The Sacramento area is fully saturated with great quality local beers. I can't even keep up anymore with all the breweries that have opened here in the last year.

Comment

• nathanmatthewg
            nathanmatthewg commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm in sac area too, and you're right there are definitely a lot of great local beers in the area, and plenty I haven't tried yet. Plus if you look into the Lodi area, they have opened a few within the last year as well.

The kind with beer in it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here