Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded my drinking to the next level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded my drinking to the next level

I FINALLY FINISHED IT!
    Back in November my original kegerator died on me while I was on vacation and I ended up losing a lot of good beer.

RIP. Version 1 of my kegerator (seen below)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190506_071316.jpg Views:	100 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	1169754

I wanted to repair the sweet baby, but my wife was sick of looking at the "ugly black freezer" in our house. Thus, I set out on a project that I am damn proud of, one that I just wanted to show off. So here take a look at what I made.

Behold! Version 2

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220205_024415298.jpg Views:	100 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	1169755

No, that is not too good to be true, that is a 8.7 cubic foot chest freezer wrapped in a wood shaker style frame (to match the rest of our cabinets), but still giving the freezer plenty of room to breath inside. This beauty has three taps, a built in drip dray with glass rinser (seen below) to get any impurities out of your glass before a nice smooth pour.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220205_024429114.jpg Views:	100 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	1169756

You better believe that this baby is wired to have its own thermostat to keep it between a nice crisp 38 and a refreshing 41 degrees.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220205_070818558.jpg Views:	100 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	1169757

Thanks for taking the time to let me show off to you. I will leave you with one last look. Cheers!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220205_024451717.jpg Views:	99 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	1169758

A few more pictures for jfmorris

Don't judge my hose management too harshly yet, I have yet to fill her up and see how the hoses will lay best when full.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220205_190323347.jpg Views:	3 Size:	651.4 KB ID:	1169939
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220205_190341585.jpg Views:	3 Size:	310.9 KB ID:	1169940
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220205_192054544.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1169945
    Last edited by AdequateEatin; February 5, 2022, 01:21 PM.

Thanks for sharing. Hold your head up high it looks great. Excellently finished Sir. Cheers to the new kegerator.

Comment

I hope yer open fer binness, cuz I think everbody is goin to want one. Excellent!

Comment

Very nicely done.

Comment

That looks great, and I can't say I ever saw a keezer (freezer->kegerator conversion) built quite that fancy around here. Beautiful work!

Most I see are like your old one at best. Is all of that wood top with the taps mounted directly to the lid and hinged to swing up, for changing kegs and CO2?

Those STC-1000 style aquarium temperature controllers are the bomb for temperature controllers. I use two of them for fermentation controllers.

Anyway, I have two 2 tap kegerators in my garage made from black Danby 4.4 cubic foot minifridges, with beer towers on top, which look pretty commercial, but SWMBO would never let me have them in the house. I had one in my office for a while and moved it back to the garage as it was too tempting to fill my coffee cup with beer instead of coffee while working... it was closer than walking back to the house and getting something else to drink!
          Last edited by jfmorris; February 5, 2022, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• AdequateEatin
            AdequateEatin commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes that is exactly it. the wood is bolted to the top with the CO2 regulator in there. I have added a few more pictures up top to show you. what it looks like with the lid up. I haven't had time to fill her though.

My wife also wanted it out so this was the compromise we made. We are a big social household so it is easier to have the guests just walk over to the dining area for a top off rather then go into our garage.

Everyone is guilty of a breakfast beer every now and again.

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            AdequateEatin A breakfast beer has always been a possibility since I got my first kegerator 15+ years ago!

That is quite impressive, you should be proud of that. Nice work!👍🏼👍🏼

Comment

That is a FANTASTIC job! Beautiful work, you should be proud as punch. Makes me wistful for my old homebrewing days...

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  would like to see the innards.

• AdequateEatin
                  AdequateEatin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just put a few more pictures up top.

Great job! you should be proud!

Comment

Holy cow!

Comment

"Upgraded my drinking to the next level" When I read the title, I thought it was an upgrade to PBR!

Very Nice, Kegerator, a portmanteau of keg and refrigerator.

You Done Good

Comment

• AdequateEatin
                      AdequateEatin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hahaha. PBR is alright, but I work in the beer/hops industry I need to be seen drinking something a little more hop forward in order to represent.

• bbqLuv
                      bbqLuv commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The beer industry, are they hiring?

• AdequateEatin
                      AdequateEatin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Always!

Beautiful work!! What time time does the bar open?

Comment

AdequateEatin thanks for the added pictures - its a lot bigger than the freezer looking at the lid. Does that give you room for the CO2 tank outside the freezer? I have two kegerators running from one 20 pound tank here, and run the CO2 in through the back of each fridge.

We were more social before COVID. These days the only folks drinking my beer are our 3 kids and their spouses, plus me. We've got a good "summer" setup with the pool and lots of outdoor seating and grills, so I hope we get to do a little more entertaining this year than the last couple.

I've got 4 taps, and blew the last keg last night trying to pull a pint. I brewed a porter last week, so hopefully will get all taps pouring again over the next couple of months.

Comment

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        AdequateEatin Hmmm. I've never used coffee in a porter, or chocolate, but some folks get notes of both coffee and chocolate from the darker roasted malts used to give a porter or stout its dark color.
                        I had a 5 pound tank as well as the 20 pound, but gave the 5 pounder to my son in law along with a CO2 regulator, 2 5 gallon corny kegs, and some picnic taps, so that he could turn an old fridge into a kegerator.

• Santamarina
                        Santamarina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Traditionally a Porter doesn’t have the roasty flavors a stout has, but I’ve had many stouts that were mislabeled as porters. Still, most darker malts give something closer to "coffee" than lighter malts do. Stouts, coffee, and dark chocolate go together for a reason!

• AdequateEatin
                        AdequateEatin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah the darker malts give hints of coffee to me every time I try one. Any of the darker beers like porters, stouts or brown ales I have tried I get the taste of coffee and I am not a fan, but I still keep trying them hoping one day I will learn to like them.

Great work, if I had that in my man cave my marriage would be....over....
                      ....well, I hope not....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here