Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North and South Seafood & Smokehouse, De Forest (Madison), Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North and South Seafood & Smokehouse, De Forest (Madison), Wisconsin

Had a chance to eat at North and South, 605 S Main Street in De Forest this past Tuesday. The restaurant is not a stereotypical BBQ joint -- it has the tidy, casual vibe common to many suburban restaurants. Even so, the menu and website for North and South promotes their seafood, fish, and smoked meats.

Walking into the restaurant, I was greeted with a faint but definite whiff of nice hardwood smoke, so my mouth instantly watered for some good BBQ. I didn't have a big appetite, however, so I opted for soft tacos. You could choose pulled pork, smoked chicken, or brisket for the meat, and I chose the brisket. The tacos had a bottom layer of crunchy slaw with a definite, spicy heat. The slaw was tossed with a thin dressing that I don't think had any mayo, which was fine with me. The middle layer of each taco was an appropriate helping of sliced meat and the top was dressed up with a spoonful of a chunky, slightly sweet salsa with tomato, peppers, and sweet corn. It was a nice combination of fresh veggie, mild tortilla, and meat.

The brisket was moist and tender with good meaty flavor, but it didn't have that definite smokey flavor profile nor the darker outer crust that I associate with a long-smoked brisket. On the other hand, it didn't have the flavor or texture of a brisket that had been baked or braised. So I was a little puzzled.

I would like to give their BBQ another chance. I have 3 more days of training in De Forest through the weekend. If the opportunity arises, I'll give this restaurant another chance to strut its BBQ stuff. I will update this review if I have more to add.

De Forest is a bedroom community just to the north of Madison. There's a second restaurant in Madison proper -- 6604 Mineral Point Rd, Madison, WI.

Excellent comment about the brisket, I find the same about the brisket at the few smokehouses in this area with the exception of one.
    My conclusion is depending on how busy the establishment is brisket sits in heating trays usually over hot water in effect getting steamed to keep warm. In busier places the brisket is gone before it looses flavour and texture, in not so busy places you got the result.
    I may be completely wrong about this but its my story and I'm sticking with it until I'm proven wrong....that shouldn't take long given the knowledge on this site....
    If I'm ever in Madison will look this place up based on your recommendation.

Comment

Good point about having to hold the meat in steam trays. I'll post an update in a few days. Maybe Saturday's bbq will be different than Tuesday's.

Comment

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe the owners did or maybe still do have a restaurant on the west side of Madison too. Thank you for the thorough review. Be sure to check out UW Provisions for tri-tip while you are here.

Yes, there's a second place on Mineral Point Road.

I'd love to stop at UW Provisions fot tri tip! Good reminder, RustyHaines. I'll have to see if I can sneak in a quick visit.

Comment

Well, I didn't get to UW Provisions (on my list for next visit to Madison), and I didn't get back to the North and South restaurant. But I did talk to a fellow classmate who had the ribs. I watched her eat some leftovers for lunch the day after, and the ribs were "bite off the bone" tender. Her observation was the same as mine as far as flavor, however -- the meat did not have a clear "been in a smoker" flavor profile. I'd say the restaurant is absolutely worth going to if you're in De Forest, but don't get your mouth set for serious hardcore 'que.

Comment

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the updated review. I seldom go to BBQ restaurants because I am frequently disappointed. Now BBQ food trucks are a completely different story! Hope you return to Madison soon and find some good tri-tip at UW Provisions

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here