Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Boar BBQ, West Salem, WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Boar BBQ, West Salem, WI

Went there with my In-laws on monday. My wife and i shared the brisket and pulled pork platter with corn bread and Mac n cheese. in-laws had brisket sliders and a pulled pork slider.

the brisket was quite good with good smoke flavor, tenderness, and juicy. it was also cut from the whole packer as you distinguish the point and flat which made me happy. the pulled pork was quite good as well. the corn bread came with soft, whipped butter and it was very good as well. the mac n cheese was alright but that isn't my favorite, usually, so i took my wife's word for it when she said it was good. my father in law had baked beans. he said they were good but a little spicy for him (disclosure: table pepper is too spicy for him). the BBQ sliders are generous and come with enough meat for 2 sandwiches. they had a brisket philly which i didn't get to try but i certainly will next time. it also comes with a nice thick slice of white bread.

the sauces are made in house, it seems, and you can buy them there. the spicy was my favorite, the sweet was good. i never had the tangy but he "norm" was a mustard based sauce which was a little vinegary but very good on the pulled pork (i was the only one who liked it).

the owner was interviewing a guy for competition help and he seemed like a nice guy.

i would like to try the ribs and burnt ends as well but a stomach can only take so much. if i end up there again when i visit the in-laws i will update.

i would give it a B+/A- based on my experience.

I don't get that far west very often anymore, but it's great information that I'm going to file away just in case!

Comment

Dang, I was just in La Crosse 6 weeks ago. I'll have to remember this.

Comment

Sounds like a weekend trip is in my future - thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here