Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for traveling I-81 through Virginia, #Meatup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for traveling I-81 through Virginia, #Meatup

I’m idly looking through the internet, planning my drive to NC from NEPA. I want to find a couple places to stop and taste anything that might be interesting… and, if you Google “bbq Virginia rt 81” you get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9300FDD3-F606-45AD-9A2D-340530CE3119.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1379823

Right.

I know I’m not going to Mission BBQ, if I wanted Mission there’s one here in Wilkes-Barre. And I don’t trust internet reviews, for a lot of reasons but mostly because they’re self-selecting.

However, I’m pretty sure there’s folks here who live near there. If any of you are reading this, gimme a lead!

Also, if there’s anyone coming to the Meat Up who wants something specific, I can bring the RTIC full of frozen gel packs.

Are you driving through or are you stopping overnight anywhere? Nothing special in the Valley for BBQ that I’ve found, but there are some good dinner places like Mill Street Grill in Staunton which are only open at night.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m leaving early Friday and driving through. I googled bbq, but I’m open for anything worthwhile.

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      I second Mill Street in Staunton, also in Staunton is the Depot Grill which is open for lunch and dinner.

And here I was goin to say rill fast! Oh well, never mind.

Comment

It's probably too far out of the way for you, but Miche Tavern, near Charlottesville, is a historical tavern dating from around 1784. They serve a colonial style meal - buffet style, and have reenactors playing historical figures. It's probably 35 minutes off I81 though.

Comment

Here are a couple,

Shaffer's BBQ & Market - 8140 Valley Pike Middletown, Virginia - I really enjoyed the ribs there

The Fishin’ Pig - Waynesboro - 117 Apple Tree Ln, Waynesboro, VA 22980 - Been there about ten-ish minutes east of I-81 on I-64 - they have really good fried catfish along with the BBQ

Mama Jean's Barbecue - 2820 Brambleton Ave SW, Roanoke, VA 24015 - Heard good things

I have a list of others that I have collected along the I-81 corridor but I cannot provide much info on them

Comment

Well, 'Ol T.J. Jackson and R.E. Lee caused a bit of trouble on that route back in the day, but I don't think there's much more than marble monuments left from way back then.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; February 18, 2023, 11:59 PM.

Comment

WATCH YOUR SPEED IN VIRGINIA…
            Ive had several friends discover that at a certain speed over the limit, speeding becomes reckless driving as opposed to just simply speeding. That involves having to return for a court date, and retaining a lawyer. Not fun and expensive.
            Not sure of the specific number, but one friend got hit for doing 68 in a 55…which frankly, isn’t that excessive if you drive anywhere in the northeast

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the heads up!

Here’s an interesting piece of knowledge: in PA, the police can’t stop you unless you are going 10mph over. So, in a 35 zone, you can’t get stopped for 44; in a 70, you are okay at 79. Generally speaking, on the interstate they don’t stop you under 80, whether it’s posted 65 or 70, unless it’s a construction zone. They’re pretty strict there.

I got some recommendations from poking around.

Bean’s BBQ. No website, call in advance for preorders because stuff sells out fast. That’s a good sign.

Due South BBQ, this looks damn good.

Smiley’s Fuel City & BBQ. No website, but: gas and barbecue? Why not!

And as clb239 recommended, Schaffer’s BBQ and Market, which is actually a long time Roadfood recommendation as well.

I don’t get hungry like I used to, but my desire to eat like a mangier is still strong. So, who knows?

Comment

• clb239
              clb239 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca I have read good things about Due South BBQ

Check out this Blog, https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/. He does reviews of a lot of restaurants, mostly BBQ, all over the place. If you scroll down the front page you can select different states and see the ones tagged in the selected state.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              That's actually where I got the recommendations! I was a Roadfooder back in the day, before the Sterns sold the site.

Private & Corporate Event Caterer (hanksgrilleandcatering.com)

Hanks is pretty good Rt 33 near Harisonburg...son went to college @ JMU​

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here