Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dinner anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinner anyone?

There is a small winery less than 10 min from us that has events on occasion. It could be a tasting or a craft project, (with wine), or, for the first time, an upscale dinner later this month. Even though we could afford it, it's more than I want to spend @ $125 a head. I do like the idea though and would be willing to attend something a bit less pricey. Here's what they posted in an email:

We are thrilled to partner with Mama Luisa's for this exciting pop-up dinner here at our barn on Saturday January 21st from 5p - 8pm. Seating is limited, so get your tickets while you can and hope to see you here!
    Description:
    Mamás Pop Up is a dinner experience highlighting fantastic food and atmosphere with a friendly, communal vibe. Beyond the spectacle and elegance of the dinner itself, guests are brought together from diverse backgrounds by good taste and a love of beauty. The beauty of it all is waiting to see the event unfold.

A fine-dining experience that includes a three-course meal with high-end ingredients. All guests must select one (1) protein entree of choice. A flight with three (3) wine varieties from Spring Run Vineyards and a glass of wine of your choice is provided. Additional wine will be available for purchase.

Tickets must be purchased no later than Wednesday, January 18th.
    Early Bird Pricing of $125 ends on Sunday, January 15th.

As you state, you can afford it, so my vote would be to do it. Pre-Bad-Disease-Shutdown, one of our favorite wineries in Paso Robles, Mitchella, held an annual grilled Lobster fest dinner that was in that price range and we loved it. With a relatively small group of strangers, meeting and chatting and drinking with folks we would never have met otherwise was delightful. This sounds the same - heck, do it at least once then you can judge whether future such events are attractive to you.

Comment

Yikes. $125 for a 3-course meal, 3 flights + a full glass of wine. Hmm. I share your hesitation, especially not being able to choose the whole meal. But I bet it would be memorable.

Comment

I'd do it, support a local business, maybe make some new friends, and it's a very short uber drive away if you decide to buy a few bottles

Comment

I say, go and have fun. You deserve it...

Then again, I just reloaded the peace pipe and my choices should be suspect...

🤪
          Last edited by Allon; January 6, 2023, 01:18 PM. Reason: Disclaimer in case of disaster...

Comment

My wife and I do these wine paring dinners fairly often and they are a lot of fun.

Comment

My wife and I went to our local Farm to Table restaurant with our best friends in September, and rented out one of their picnic basket under the pergola private settings. It wasn’t cheap what so ever and it was the “Chef’s Pick”, but it was one of the best meals and experiences we all have had at a restaurant. We will do it again this summer when it warms back up.

being that this is in a barn setting, and will be an event, I bet you will have a wonderful time at it! Memorable time as well.

Comment

I’d be hesitant. It would be nice to know a bit more about what is being served. I mean, sell me on the wonderful food being served? Dry aged steak with scalloped potatoes? Something? Otherwise I am expecting lightly seasoned chicken with butter and microwaved mac & cheese.

I’d also be more interested if I get discounts on the purchase of bottled wine and if it is a favorite. A 10%-25% discount on a case of my favorite wine would definitely help sell the $125 upfront cost for dinner.

So I could be happy to do it but I’d need more details to be fully sold.
                Last edited by STEbbq; January 7, 2023, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I thing the price is reasonable, considering inflation, but that’s a pretty penny nonetheless. Because Mrs isn’t a drinker, and I drink hardly at all any more, I’d pass; but if we were oenophiles, we would probably enjoy it very much! It ain’t matinee and McDonalds, but still.

Comment

I agree with Mosca, its hard to get out of any 'good' restaurant now a days for less than $200.
                    That being said now we're looking at expectations, if you get a meal that knocks your socks off with complimentary wines with every course....hey, what the heck....if its just above beanery fare and a glass a plonk....well, maybe not so much....
                    These events are available all over in the Niagara and Norfolk wine area's here, while my wife and I have never done one my daughter has on a few occasions and raves about them.

Comment

The price isn’t bad for this type of event. My Mrs and regularly attend such and enjoy them.
                      With that said the description of the food is rather vague and more emphasis is placed on the communal feeling the beauty and diversity of the attendees. It’s a hard pass for me and my 250 but that’s just me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here