Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lockhart-Black's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lockhart-Black's

This place is so famous that I wont get into too much detail. The brisket is solid, the Flinstone beef ribs were one of the best things I've eaten from any pit, anywhere, period. If you appreciate real bbq and are within hours of Lockhart, you need to go. I can't speak for their sides because I ordered 3 lbs. of meat! If you're concerned about their sides, you have problems!

Love it!!! I can't wait to go.

Comment

Hi IvyH, I really agree with you. I went down to Dallas for business during the crazy Ice Storm they had in Februaryand our hosts made it a point to get to Lockharts.

Their hot links are outstanding. The brisket was just ok in my opinion (had some problems with too much un-rendered fat). However those beef ribs were worth my entire trip. I understand that they only serve them one day out of the week (Thursday? Tuesday?) but they are well worth planning for. The bark on them is quite frankly the best piece of smoked meat I have ever had. Juicy, savory, crunchy and yet still tender. One of my colleagues got them to vacuum pack a couple to take back to San Jose. The ribs are $20 each, but the term "Flinstone Ribs" is apt. One of them was enough for 5 BBQ-crazy adults to get a good portion (though we had a little bit of everything). If you were eating only the rib, I imagine one would serve 2 good eaters with sides.

I attached a pic of our table as we were finishing up- I wish we had gotten pics right as we laid the food down, but our bellies trumped good selfie etiquette. You'll notice a big line standing behind us. I imagine this was around 6pm. We got there a little after five and had no wait, but within 30 minutes the line was out the door.

Service at Lockharts is friendly. They don't have wait staff, you go to the counter or bar to get food and drink. The cashier at the counter is helpful, but the chef is standing right behind her at a cutting table, explaining exactly what you will want and cutting it to order. They wrap all that in butcher paper, and you go unwrap it at the table. Notice no plates, just butcher paper and smiles.

Also, their Smore Bread Pudding is worth saving a little room for (shocking as that sounds).

(Sorry about the flipped photo...can't seem to get it to rotate correctly.)

Comment

I had posted about Black's in Lockhart. But yeah, Lockhart's is a fine place for Q as well. I went about a year ago and the food is damn good. But, the Flinstone at Black's is better IMO. I do like Lockhart's sausage better. And I might patent Flinstone rib.

Comment

• barney
          barney commented
          Editing a comment
          They opened a Blacks BBQ in San Marcos now.

Black's is the oldest BBQ joint in Texas and deserving of its institutional status. If you're doing a Lockhart BBQ tour, I'd recommend the brisket at Kreutz's, the sausage at Smitty's and definitely the dinosaur beef ribs at Black's.

Comment

I went camping in San Marcos last weekend with the Boy Scouts. While they went kayaking I snuck a trip to Lockhart and had lunch at Black's. I had some brisket, a few spare ribs and of course the dino beef rib. All were spectacular.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here