Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visit to Franklin BBQ Austin, TX 1-3-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit to Franklin BBQ Austin, TX 1-3-2020

Recently my two sisters and I flew to Texas to visit my parents who hibernate in Port Aransas for the winter. I wasn't going to go but said if we make a stop in Austin for some BBQ, I'm in. We landed in San Antonio and drove to Terry Black's (another place on my list, plus it was still open, which many other BBQ joints had already closed.). It was very good. I really, really, really enjoyed the smoke flavor that the ribs had. The brisket wasn't as juicy as Franklin's but the flavor and tenderness were all there. Have to admit that we did not get the beef short ribs. Oops. Wanted to but at the time we we not as hungry. Seriously, one rib was the length of my arm and as round as a softball. Definitely will next time. We wanted to check out the local night scene and music but we were all too tired. I was my first time in Austin. The next day we got up early to headed to Franklin BBQ.

We arrived at 6am and were 7th place in line. The temperature was about 53 degrees F that morning. Once the wind picked up a little it was a bit chilly but not too bad. Being from Minnesota, I should have had my shorts on! We talked a lot to the people in front of us who were from California. Farther back in line was a family from Australia! Around 9am there were probably around 90-100 people waiting in line. Tip: bring a chair if you can! They didn't have any for us to sit on. I had read before that they used to. Also, they have a food truck in the parking lot that opens around 9am. They serve coffee and breakfast tacos. I didn't eat anything that morning until Franklin's opened. Man were we hungry! They also open the doors around 9am so you can go in and buy merchandise and use the restrooms. There are a couple of portable toilets in the back of the parking lot as well.

11am! Finally we make are way in! As you come up to the counter to order your food, they hand out cut up edges of brisket! Mmmmm so good! Now I'm really hungry!! You order by the pound. We got 1 1/2 pounds of brisket, 2 pounds of ribs (which is about a whole rack), 1/2 pound of pulled pork and a couple of regular sausage links. For sides we opted for the pinto beans and coleslaw. All that with a couple of beers of course ended up being $174.00 with tip! Yikes! But hey, how often are you going to have the best BBQ of your life! Being there were only three of us, we did not get the turkey. Next time I will.

And for the review! Brisket was tender and juicy! They will ask you if you want lean or fat cuts. Most of you know what this means but in case you don't, lean is called the flat side of the brisket where there isn't a middle layer of fat. The fat cut does and is called the point. The point is a little more tender and juicy then the flat. Either way you can't go wrong! We did half and half. The pulled pork was amazingly juicy and tender! It had such a great flavor, especially when you bit down on an edge piece with all the rub on it. The sausage was great! Personally, I like the sausage from Terry Blacks a bit more. But not that much. The ribs... Oh my goodness! Not quite the same amount of smoke flavor but the rub and sauce used to keep it moist and flavorful was amazing! If I absolutely had to pick a favorite... I can't. Each meat had it's own amazing quality to it that kept it apart from the others. The one photo is a smoker trailer he had outside in the parking lot. I have a great video of them cutting and serving our meat. I couldn't figure out a way to upload load it though.

All I can say is that if your a BBQ fanatic like me, you got to go to Austin and check Franklin BBQ and others. You'll be glad you did!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Big Bs BBQ; January 14, 2020, 04:42 AM.

Well done. Thank you.

Comment

Yuuup!! Sooooo good!!

Comment

Yep. one of the best bites of food i've ever had.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Congrats! It's a great experience, and even the wait is fun because everyone is happy to be there.

Comment

Sounds very similar to my experience there. Definitely try the turkey next time. I liked it more than everything except the brisket.

Comment

Gotta get down there soon.

Comment

It's the barbecue equivalent to a Muslim visiting Mecca, you gotta do it once in your lifetime !!!

Comment

that and Mueller's are as good as it gets restaurant wise.

Comment

• Big Bs BBQ
                      Big Bs BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Next time I go I have a list of 5 others to check out. Mueller's is definitely on it!

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      get the beef ribs and the sausage

• Big Bs BBQ
                      Big Bs BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Will Do!

Me, my girlfriend and another couple visited Austin the beginning of December, we did the preorder takeout thing since we were only in Austin for a long weekend and didn't want to spend a whole morning waiting in line. Picked up about an hour after we landed, went to a park on the river and gorged ourselves with our bounty.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Big Bs BBQ
                      Big Bs BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice!

Thanks for sharing! I just recently finished his book so this was cool to see.

Comment

• Big Bs BBQ
                      Big Bs BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      His books have a lot of great information in it. Going to do some spare ribs on Saturday with everything I learned. The 12 inches of snow tomorrow doesn't scare me lol.
                      Last edited by Big Bs BBQ; January 16, 2020, 06:35 PM.

So what do you all think makes it s good? I've watched his videos and his technique seems pretty basic and his rub is salt and pepper... is it the meat? The wood? Fire management?

Comment

• JoeSousa
                      JoeSousa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think the "simplicity" of it all makes it good in my opinion. Just keep it simple, prep and cook consistently, and let the meat and smoke be the stars of the show. Of course years of cooking and thousands of briskets have gone into creating that simplicity.

I have cooked briskets on my Weber Kettle that are close to what I had at Franklin but I am guessing cooking on a good offset with good wood like he does probably takes it up a notch vs. what I can turn out at home.

• Big Bs BBQ
                      Big Bs BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree.

Well done...last time I was down that way I too went to Black's in Lockhart and Franklin the next day. Absolutely enjoyed both. Got the big dinosaur rib at Black's and it was every bit as good as they say. Very good turkey too. I obviously had a very high bar set for Franklin and if anything it was absolutely shattered. Best brisket I've had anywhere, great ribs, great sausage. And those two are far from the only game in town...if you're in Austin definitely hit Franklin as its really the gold standard, but there are easily half a dozen places inside a 45 min drive or so that are also top level BBQ. Can't wait to get back there.

Comment

• Big Bs BBQ
                      Big Bs BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I can't wait to go back! Going to either buy or make an offset smoker soon.

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a Black's apron hanging in my kitchen. Another one of the greats.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here