Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

City Market in Luling Texas - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City Market in Luling Texas - Review

For the Saturday after Thanksgiving my wife and daughter and I decided to take a BBQ road trip for the day. Earlier this year we decided to try and hit all the famous places in Texas. Thus far we've been to Kruez's and Black's in Lockhart and a Gatlin's in Houston. This day we headed to City Market in Luling.

This place has been around since the '50s and is often confused with a ripoff place in Houston called Luling City Market BBQ. They are not related but the place in Luling is the real deal.

You order your meats in the smoke room and order by the pound or half pound. It is served in butcher paper and if you want you can get slices of white bread, pickles, and white onion slices. You pay for it there and then try and go find a seat. If you are ordering to go they will wrap it in the butcher paper and put it in a box. The menu consisted of pork spare ribs, sausage, and brisket.

Once you find a seat (and you may end up sharing with others) you can go to the front and get your drinks and sides. Drinks are cans of beer, bottles or cans of soda, or tea (sweet or unsweet). For sides they have a slice of cheddar, potato salad, or baked beans. You can also buy a small bag of potato chips from their assorted rack. Also at this counter you let them know if you want napkins, utensils, straws, or sauce.

We got a pound of brisket, a pound of ribs, and two links from the meat counter and potato salad and a slice of cheddar as well as some drinks. And it was delicious.

The brisket was not the best I've ever had but it is really good. Thick slices, great bark, not dry but I've had juicier. The ribs were perfect, one of the few I've had that I thought were better than what I'm making at home. But it was the sausage that really popped. That may have been the best sausage I've ever had. It was perfectly balanced with meat and fat, clearly hand made, and had a great flavor that really showcased the beef. And then there was the sauce. It is a thin, tomato and mustard based sauce and the only reason I didn't buy a bottle to take home was because I just got that sampler Meathead put together and my wife's stare let me know I can not bring any more sauce home for a while.

It's funny, I've driven through Luling many times but never stopped (it's really on the way to other better places) and now I regret not eating this Q sooner. If you ever are nearby it's worth the wait in line. We stood maybe 15-20 minutes before we got into the smoke room and found a booth right as we walked out. You'll love the smoke room. Pics are of the line, the smoke room, and the Q.

(Quick update, I had hopped the pics would appear in the order I shot them and selected them. Not sure why there are in the order they are. Alas.)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Obi-Dan; November 27, 2016, 11:04 PM.

Great pics and review. Is it Lulling with two L's or Luling with one L? I keep getting one L on a google search.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh. Look at that. One L. Thanks for the copy edit.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here