Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Actually Ate At A Dickey’s BBQ Today…..😱

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donw they claim the food is smoked on site.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	681.1 KB ID:	1304960​Yet

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	168
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1304961​

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      It is called advertising. And as we all know advertisers are know for their straight talking honesty. Heck, car dealerships, politicians, diet programs, nutritional and health supplement suppliers are just a few examples of advertisers who you can trust every word they utter as the honest truth without a second thought.🙂

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw Phew! I was afraid I was gonna see preachers on that list!

Thanks John. I wouldn't seek one out, but if someone I was with wanted to go, I'd go again.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      After having eaten at some of the best BBQ joints in Texas, here in Houston and at the MeatUps, it’s almost cruel to compare the two…..

It's never a good sign when the parking lot of a BBQ joint is near empty and you can't smell hints of hickory or post oak burning in the air.

Comment

As far as the smell outside goes there is a pit in Georgetown, Ont called Hungry Hollow.
      You pull up there and don't smell a thing maybe a wisp depending on the wind either but walk into the place and heaven
      They use industrial size electric pellet smokers and they're BBQ is outstanding.
      When I was there he had only been open for a few weeks so maybe as the exhaust hoods, fans, stacks got more covered with good smells things may be different.
      Hmmm, may have to go investigate next week.

Well there's a kick just went to they're website....closed up last April....sad.
      Last edited by smokin fool; October 7, 2022, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the warning, John.

Comment

The comparison you made above to Micky D's is probably accurate. I'm a believer in Pareto's Principle; basically a wide variety of experiences split out in an 80/20 distribution. In this case, 80 percent of the target audience is going for "safe" levels of taste impact.......not too smokey, not too salty, not too whatever (including what we zealots would consider flavorful, succulent, and so forth). As such, the franchise joints just ain't gonna deliver on what we perceive as "quality", they're shooting for "safe".

Comment

I would love to have an Ole Hickory CTO, and yes, that dude would eat splits the whole camn dook.

Comment

50 different people from all over the country: "Dickey’s BBQ sucks!"

Panhead John: "I’m goin!"

👏👏🤣🤣😅

PS I also should add that it was a great review.
              Last edited by Sid P; October 7, 2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Hilarious! 😂

Great review Panhead John Now you need to go to Tony's and compare the two. I prefer the Tony's on Memorial in P.A. (the old Southern Kitchen location) but the one on Twin City Hwy (the old Rib Cage BBQ) is good too.
              Last edited by 58limited; October 7, 2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks David! I might just do that one day.

Good work PJ! In yer write up & comparisons might I say better than goin to a McD’s or a Fazolis.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Fireman!

We have one in Billings....went in because I was in a hurry and was having meat withdrawals. Ordered a combo pack and proceeded to watch the guy take pre-measured packages of meat out of a cooler and put them in microwaves. 100% would not recommend. The food was expensive and tasteless.

Comment

That’s a good review.

It’s been a few years since ours folded, maybe 5? But one thing I remember was that sometimes there was actually too much smoke, such that I was burping it up hours later. Otherwise, I’d agree, and give our Dickie’s Q a solid C. And that’s okay, because average Q is a better lunch than McDonalds. I usually ordered a pulled pork lunch platter, meat-and-two.

I remember the sides at our location as better than what you describe. I thought they were better than the Q. As I said in the other topic, it’s franchise dependent.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                You’re absolutely right about being franchise dependent. Next time I want to try their pulled pork sandwich. It should be better than the usual ham and cheese sandwiches I make at home.🙄
                Last edited by Panhead John; October 8, 2022, 02:12 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                My thoughts exactly when one location is using pellet and another Ole Hickory.

Panhead John How is the stomach today? Were you able to sleep all night? Hope you're okay.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I survived! Whew….

Panhead John

Im glad you had a decent experience. They must at least understand BBQ to still be in biz in Texas but man did they suck in Nebraska! As I wrote in my review all those years ago..” I have had better smoke flavor from a burnt grilled cheese!”

Comment

Having lived in Texas for a while, been to a few locations. They tried to open two here is SoCal. Tried them both. Garbage. Believe it or not the best dickies I’ve ever had was at DFW.

Comment

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last time I flew out of DFW (2017) they had a Salt Lick, much better than Dickies.

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They have 2 locations here in San Diego. One is right by the 99 Ranch we go to. I'd never even heard of Dickies, but I guess now I can avoid it on purpose. And if the Dickies in DFW is the sam "BBQ" place we ate at while we WAITED FOR AMERICAN AIRLINES TO FIX THE DAMN PLANE (Every. Single. Time. I have a connecting flight with AA), then I will be aggressively avoiding it. Sysco precooked brisket is better.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here