Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interstellar BBQ in Austin TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interstellar BBQ in Austin TX

We just got back from visiting our son in Austin. We try to hit a new BBQ joint every time we go to Austin, and this time it was Interstellar. It was SWMBO, our Son, his girlfriend, and I.

We ordered brisket, (flat and point), pork ribs, turkey, smoked M&C, smoked 'taters au gratin, and something else I can't remember, (which is not a good sign ),The food was well prepared, but with a slightly different flavor profile on the brisket. Everyone agreed that the smoked 'taters au gratin was the standout, and that's not what I want to stand out at a bbq joint. Another noteworthy point was free beer.

Since our Son moved to Austin we have been to Franklin, La BBQ, Snow's, and Interstellar. This is over the last six years, (missed the last two years), so it's really hard to compare them, but Snow's is the standout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220324_114506[1].jpg
Views:	217
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1198909

Name:	20220324_114429[1].jpg
Views:	167
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1198910

Name:	20220324_114457[1].jpg
Views:	167
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1198911

Name:	20220324_114519[1].jpg
Views:	157
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1198912

And I just realized I forgot to get a photo of the food...

We had pizza for lunch one day and this place was next door:

Name:	20220328_151126[1].jpg
Views:	159
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1198913

Can you elaborate on how the brisket was different? And...must hear more...free beer?!

Comment

I don't care what your food tastes like... free beer and I'm all in

Comment

Gotta admit, I was hoping for more info. and pics of the food. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto on Pics

I am gonna hit this one up in a bit here, provided I can still get to Austin in April. (Work has been nuts as of late and I have been on the road)

So far in Austin, La Barbecue and Mickelthwaits have been my favs.

Comment

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          I went to La Barbecue and Micklethwaits on my first trip to Austin a few years ago. Got a somewhat early lunch at Micklethwaits and then headed straight to La Barbecue. I was definitely full by the time I finished both. Both were excellent but I thought La Barbecue was a bit better.

Free beer....cars warming up, just tossing a few things in a knapsack....
        Interested in the difference flavor profile too.

Comment

All right folks - I should know better, but the above photos are all I took. I just plain forgot to get the food shot. (See free beer photo.)

As for the brisket, it was moist and very tender. I could cut it with a plastic fork. I don't know how to describe the taste - not bad but not traditional Texas either. (See free beer photo.)

Sorry...

Comment

The brisket at La Barbecue was absolutely amazing, but the sides were inedible and the service was terrible. We won’t go back if there’s any more than 10 people in line.

Comment

• Lock Stock and Barrel
              Lock Stock and Barrel commented
              Editing a comment
              If your in the area, Luling City Market can one up most of these. It is a different experience since you have to go into a separate back door room to get your meat right off the pit. The smell will bring out the great BBQ flavor alone, then go inside the airconditioned room to eat and by drinks. Served on pink butcher paper with homemade sauce that is not sweet. I always try to arrange my trip through Luling Texas just to eat there. Cash Only.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here