Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black's BBQ in Lockhart, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black's BBQ in Lockhart, TX

I was in San Antonio for a few days this week and decided to check out Black's BBQ in Lockhart, TX. I really wanted to try 2M Smokehouse but they weren't open on the days I was in town. A ton of the locals recommended Black's, so I made the 45-minute drive to the town known as the "BBQ capital of Texas". Overall, it did NOT disappoint. Ok, maybe in one area...

The restaurant was very clean, laid out nicely, and the service was excellent. As for the food, the beef rib was the star of the show. Just WOW. Perfect bark, good smoke flavor, and incredibly tender and moist. I'm not sure what they do to their green beans, but they were excellent. I've been trying to find a clone recipe ever since I took the first bite! The sausage was very good, too. The brisket...well.. wasn't the best. It was just average. Edible, but nothing special. I would normally be disappointed about this (I mean, this is Texas, right?), but the rest of the food was so delicious I didn't mind too much. Sauces were great, as well. I ended up buying a few bottles of the Habanero BBQ sauce to take home with me.

All in all, a worthy trip to a fantastic BBQ joint in a neat little town. I would definitely make the trip again. Check it out next time you are in the area!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dtresca; April 3, 2021, 04:03 PM.

Been there. Done that. LOVED it! Especially the dino rib.

Comment

Did you happen to take some interior shots of Black's? It's been many years since I was there, but the décor is a nice slice of the local color. I remember one large photo of a downtown scene of horses and buckboards in the vicinity of the town square. Using a bit of imagination, being an antique car buff, I thought I saw an old car in the shadow of one of the buildings.

I had fun driving around the center of town identifying some of the buildings that were in the photo.

Enjoyed the food, too.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        It hasn’t changed

• dtresca
        dtresca commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry. Didn't take any other pics at Black's. I kind of wosh I did, though. I honestly don't remember the phot you mentioned. We did enjoy hanging out in the town square, though. Even did some shopping in a couple of the local shops. It really was a great time in a cool little town.

I did get one shot of the courthouse that I will add to my post.

My recommendations: Sausage at Black’s, Clod at Smitty’s and Brisket at Kruez.

Comment

Yea I’m more of a Kruez guy for the brisket and beef clod but sausage was always best at Blacks. You mentioned the beef rib, last time I was there my rib sucked so bad I had to ask for something else. All depends on catching things right, but generally Lockhart BBQ is really good. Next time go check out Austin, I think the new young "craft" ‘quers are really producing amazing stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
          Yea I’m more of a Kruez guy for the brisket and beef clod but sausage was always best at Blacks. You mentioned the beef rib, last time I was there my rib sucked so bad I had to ask for something else. All depends on catching things right, but generally Lockhart BBQ is really good. Next time go check out Austin, I think the new young "craft" ‘quers are really producing amazing stuff!!
          Definitely. We wanted to go into Austin, but just didn't have the time this trip. We will be back!

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            When you hit Austin, try Micklethwait’s. It’s a few blocks down from Franklin’s. The lines are much shorter, excellent que and amazing jalapeño cheese grits.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

Hey gcdmd , here's some shots from the last time I was there, maybe 2019. Place is timeless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blacks 03.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1012890Click image for larger version

Name:	blacks 02.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1012888Click image for larger version

Name:	blacks 05.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1012889Click image for larger version

Name:	blacks 04.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1012891

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Steve.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here