Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hog Heaven, Pawleys Island SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Heaven, Pawleys Island SC

Hog Heaven was recommended to me by an acquaintance on a recent visit to the area. Since we happened to be staying less than a mile from the place we went there for dinner. The food was 'good', some things better than others, but the BBQ was disappointing.

We all got the buffet. I understand that this limits my review of any BBQ items not on the buffet (namely ribs, since they don't offer BBQ beef), but if the ribs are anything like the pulled pork, you're not missing much.

The pulled pork was the only BBQ meat on the buffet. It was good but not great. Not a lick of smoke to it, tasted like crock pot pulled pork. They had 4 sauces on the tables, all very vinegar heavy, which I like, but even the "tomato based" sauce was VERY vinegar heavy, not KC-style at all...but in their defense it didn't say KC style, just said tomato based.

My most favorite item on their buffet was the fried okra. It was delicious! The mac 'n cheese was great too, my mom said it's the best she's ever had in a restaurant. I wouldn't go that far myself, but it was really good.

There's also fried chicken on the buffet. It was ok. It tasted like under-seasoned deli fried chicken you'd get at any grocery store. Crisp but very little flavor. Average.

The summary: if you're in the area and want to try it, it will feed you without breaking the bank but don't expect much by way of that home-smoked BBQ we all crave. It's an older building, clean, knotty pine on the walls yet still has an older 80's vibe inside reminding me of how lots of mom & pop places looked when I was a kid. Service was great, wait staff was very nice and attentive. Food 4/10, average. Honorable mention goes to the fried okra, 9/10. The smokeless "BBQ" pork was a letdown, bringing my total rating down. I can only imagine the ribs don't stray too far from the pulled pork, but to be fair I don't know. Wasn't a chance we were going back with all the other options in the area. Beer list was great.

You didn't have my attention until "Beer list was great."

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol. They had Yuengling, even if that was the only one then it's still a great beer list.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee If it's beer, and it's on a list, it's a great beer list.

Another thanx Huskee.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here