Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Myrtle beach BBQ places to avoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Myrtle beach BBQ places to avoid

We went on vacation to North Myrtle beach on vacation with my son and his family. The first place I visited was Brisket's. I got 4.5 stars, so I took a walk over to get a menu. It was a small place, gravel parking lot, and a portable smoker outside. I could smell the smoke. Upon walking inside there was a small bar and a small dining area. The hostess was friendly and handed me a menu to take home. To say that I had sticker shock was an understatement. 1/2 pound of brisket was $22! We had 8 people at the house. Dinner would have cost me $200 with sides. It may be good food but I couldn't pay the price. Well it's late and I gotta go. More to follow
    Last edited by Starsky; April 27, 2022, 11:20 AM.

OK, I'm back. On the last day I decided to try a BBQ place again. Did a little checking and found another place with 4.5 stars. The Old South BBQ company. My son and I drove over to check it out. A small place, picnic tables, nothing fancy, no chain outfit. We went inside to place an order and decided to try several things just because. Well, just because we had been drinking all day . We asked for some ribs to start. The young lady at the counter said that they didn't have any ribs to cook that day. This should have been a sign but like I said we had been drinking. So we decided on 2 lbs. of chopped pork, chicken wings, beans, onion rings, fries, potato salad, hush puppies. Basically dinner for 6 at this point. I had a sweet tea while waiting for our order, and for the south, this stuff was awful. We drove home, about a ten minute drive. People tried some of the items and just walked away. The pork was chopped so fine that it was mushy, no smoke, no seasoning whatsoever. It was as if they had cooked it a pressure cooker. Chicken wings were over cooked and dry. The beans looked like something from a can that they just dumped some hot sauce into. Onion rings soggy, fries soggy. They must have been sitting around for a while. The hush puppies tasted ok but were obviously something dumped from a bag into the fryer. This was the most god awful excuse for BBQ that I've had from any restaurant. I picked everything up and dropped it into the trash. I may as well have set a $100 bill on fire. Avoid this place like the plague! The second half of our trip ended up in North Carolina so my next review will be over there. I promise, it will be better

Comment

Will your travels through NC bring you close to the Charlotte Metro area? May be able to suggest a few spots..
      Just re-read your post. Appears your trip is over and back home? I hope NC bbq was redeeming

Comment

Welcome to BBQ north of the border here mainly because people up here may not know or don’t know good BBQ from a hole in the wall.
        And I say that realizing while I may know more than most, I’m certainly no expert either.
        With the exception of 2 places in these parts most of my experiences have been much like yours, high expectations met by just plain old microwave/oven cooked fodder.

Comment

Keep er coming, Honest Review Guy!

Comment

Thanks for the review, friend. It's always great to hear the good and the bad of the world of BBQ.

Originally posted by Starsky View Post
            My son and I drove over to check it out....... just because we had been drinking all day
            emphasis added.
            I'm hoping that you all were safe and this is just a lapse in the description, else a stern finger wagging from this guy. Be safe out there.

Cheers and happy smoking!

Comment

I appreciate your experience! I was there 2 yrs ago, we stayed 40 min south in Pawley's Island. We were talked into going to a place there called Hog Heaven. We were told it has great BBQ and the best fried chicken. Both lies. We ate there after checking in and after our LONG drive from Michigan, so our standards were low at that point and that was a good thing. Here's my post on that one. I never searched out any further BBQ in the area for fear of being let down again, even though I was offered a couple other good suggestions.

The exception being one day we made the trip to Charleston and hit up Lewis BBQ, VERY well worth the drive. If you find yourself in that area, seek it out! Here's my post on that.

If you find yourself back in the area again, you must check out River City Cafe, the one just south of Myrtle in Surfside Beach. Outstanding burgers, gourmet. I know, who wants to hit a burger place when you're in (supposedly) the junction of the BBQ & seafood worlds, but trust me- odd combinations, think drunk college kid dare burgers, and it all works magically.Wife & I spent our 18th anniversary dinner there and had no regrets, and we're usually the linen tablecloth fine wine anniversary dinner people, whereas this place is polar opposite except for food quality. Took the family back there 2 additional times, everyone loved it.

Comment

N.Myrtle has never struck me as a spot I'd want to get BBQ from, lol. Every time I think of Myrtle Beach I see visions of Kenny Powers with his stars and bars boogie board. There are some cool outdoor bars there and plenty of wild life to get your fun box checked off! Thanks for the honest reviews though. I too am looking forward to any experiences you had in other spots that were in NC. There are some really good places in Wilmington, NC and around that part of the coast as well. Bad BBQ is always just really...well, bad! I mean some food can be messed up and still ok but BBQ is certainly not one of them.
                "Why give 100% when 35% will get you paid and laid." – Kenny Powers
                Click image for larger version

Name:	eastbound12_05.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1212867

Comment

I don’t know whether to thank you or offer condolences for a lousy portion of a vacation! But here goes, thanks for the review of eateries that suck! 🕶

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here