Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories

As a kid, my Dad and I took a fishing trip every year, (this actually lasted many years). Mostly for largemouth bass, but anything that would fit in a frying pan was game. Many of those trips were to Back Bay in the Southeast corner of VA. The trip took us down US 460.

Around 1972 a BBQ joint opened just west of Wakefield VA and my Dad stopped there. That was probably my first real Q, or at least the first I remember. They are still open, but the Cowlings sold to the current owners in '92.

We go to the Outer Banks of NC every year, and that takes us down 460. I always get a chopped pork sandwich and onion rings. My wife gets fried chicken and veggies. And it's always great. I do love there sauce and I try to remember to buy some every year. No photos of the food, but here's the sauce:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190622_175241[1].jpg
Views:	182
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	699287

The only change I have noticed over the years is the sauce now comes in a plastic bottle instead of a glass bottle.

Nice. Our weather forecasts here come from the Wakefield NWS and that also caught my attention.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Ours too. We pass it every time we make the drive.

Thanks for the story RonB

Comment

I think memories around food are even more about the relationships and experiences around the meal than they are about the food. I’ll bet your Dad is a special person.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        You are correct Sir. The annual fishin' trip started with just my Dad and I. Then my brother joined us, and then a cousin. There were eventually as many as 12 people including people coming from out of state.
        I have so many memories...
        Last edited by RonB; June 23, 2019, 06:24 AM.

Thanks. I will be looking for this next time we are heading south.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here