Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over 2100 miles - several states - awesome BBQ - BBQ class Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over 2100 miles - several states - awesome BBQ - BBQ class Road Trip

Last Saturday (3/16/19) I took off from Virginia on a BBQ road-trip to attend the Business of Barbecue class at 17th St BBQ.

The first stop was in Nashville on Saturday for some tasty rib goodness at Peg Leg Porker...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0651 (Edited).JPG
Views:	143
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	653744

Later that night I paid a visit to Martin's BBQ Joint downtown location for a drink and to check it out - the whole hog pit is pretty impressive...

Name:	IMG_0652.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	653745

Day 2 visited Martin's BBQ Joint Belmont for some whole hog lunch...with a seat overlooking the pit...while i was eating the pitmaster came out to get some more meat from the hog and pulled some off and handed it to me - best pork bite of the trip...

Name:	IMG_0662.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	653748Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663 (Edited).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	653747Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0660.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	653746Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	653749

more to follow...

Departed Nashville Sunday afternoon headed to the 17th St BBQ Marion Il. location for a meet and greet with Amy Mills and everyone attending the Business of BBQ class. Didn't get any picture there but the nachos, wings, pork rinds and sausage and cheese plate were all very good.

I'll do a write up on the class with pictures in a separate post...
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...lass-pic-heavy

Tuesday I departed Illinois and headed to Horn Lake Ms. to visit the Memphis BBQ Company where I had the BBQ Meatloaf and Mac n Cheese both were good but the Mac n Cheese was super creamy goodness (sorry but the picture didn't come out).
    Last edited by clb239; March 23, 2019, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Wednesday I decided to take in some of the sites in Memphis. Saw Graceland but didn't stop.. Went by Memphis Barbecue Supply to check out the store and pick up some supplies. As a bonus I got to meet Heath Riles who was dropping off some product.

Lunch was at the Bar-B-Q-Shop for some of their famous Barbecue Spaghetti. It was really good, the pulled pork on top was really flavorful and next time I would probably just get the pork. If you go there you need to at least try the spaghetti as a side add on. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0691 (Edited).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	653762
      Dinner was at the Rendevous. The ribs were really good, definitely not slow smoked but the seasoning and everything came together. Sitting at the bar of such an iconic place is something to remember. I had several people recommend the Sausage and Cheese plate but since I was alone I didn't get it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0693 (Edited).JPG
Views:	133
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	653763

Comment

That night I decided to bounce around Beale Street and take in some music and have some adult beverages...

While on Beale St. I had to get a late night burger at Dyer's on Beale. They claim to have been using the same grease for over 100 hundred years to deep fry their burgers. Before cooking the take a ball of ground beef and pound them out super thin with a spatula. They take smash-burgers to a whole new level.

Name:	IMG_0699.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	653771Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	653770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	653769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	653772

Comment

The final day took me to Lexington, Tn. and B. E. Scott's Bar-B-Que (aka Scott's - Parker BBQ) for some more whole hog. I could see the smoke from the burn pit over a mile away. I got a 1/2 lb of the pulled hog and it was excellent...I also recommend the Pecan Hand Pie...

Name:	IMG_0702.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	653780Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701 (Edited).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	653781

Comment

• DiverDriver
            DiverDriver commented
            Editing a comment
            Awe man "jumbo pulled with slaw and onion!" I used to live there.

This was an epic trip and I cannot wait until my next road-trip...

Here a couple of parting shops from my stop at Cooter's in Nashville...

Name:	IMG_0659.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	653786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	653785

Comment

clb239 what a cool trip! I see you are from Farmville. Do you by chance know Whitney or Kirk Reid?

Comment

• clb239
              clb239 commented
              Editing a comment
              No I don't...

This also sounds like a great time.

Comment

Thanks for taking us along, how cool!!

Comment

I love road trips. Reminds me of the Texas hill country "BBQ Crawl" !! How fun, thanks for posting.

Comment

That is just awesome, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Wow. What a fun trip. Sounds like great food too. Now you made me hungry.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here