Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite chain restaurant? Mine is now Ruby Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite chain restaurant? Mine is now Ruby Tuesday

I know.. not BBQ... and I also know what else you're thinking 'Ruby Tuesday?!?!' But yeah, I have become increasingly impressed with RT in the last couple years. They seem to have stepped up their game and kept their prices good, and their emails (nearly daily) always have some great deals in them.

We recently went to one and I just got the garden bar. I think Ruby Tuesday has the single best salad bar of any restaurant. The server instead of charging me the regular garden bar price of $10.99 (evenings, it's cheaper for lunch) made it an add-on to my wife's meal, which lowered the price to $3.99 (for all I could eat). I can put the hurt on a good salad bar, let me tell you.

I like their ribs too, while not smoked of course, they are some of the best chain restaurant ribs I've had. All their meals, to me, are really good. They have kick-butt burgers too IMO.

Anyway, do you have a favorite chain place that you love?

I haven't been to a Ruby Tuesday in over 6 years, primarily because there aren't any near me. In general, I try to avoid chain restaurants. Although every once in a great while, I just GOTTA HAVE some KFC. It has to be KFC and nothing else. Weird, eh?

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I get that KFC hankering about once a year too. And right after I eat I like "ooof" - can’t do that again. 😀

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      A number of years ago KFC was advertising some new chicken nuggets on tv. They looked great, so I stopped by and ordered some one day. They looked nowhere near as good as the ones advertised, and weren't very good. I have not been back since.

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      @lkflowers Yep the slaw and chicken livers!!!!

When I’m not looking at calories, I go to Whataburger. I’m also a big fan of RT.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed that five guys has declined of late.

• ddmcwhirter
      ddmcwhirter commented
      Editing a comment
      You got Whataburger in Florida?!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      ddmcwhirter I’m in the panhandle, near Pensacola. I have 2 about 10 minutes away.

If I am in the mood for a sit down chain restaurant burger I usually opt for Red Robin. Much better than Chilis or Applebees or any of the others I have tried.

I was also excited that our town will finally be getting a Popeyes sometime soon. By far my favorite fried chicken. Now if only we could get a Waffle House...

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
      ddmcwhirter commented
      Editing a comment
      You got to know your Popeye's or your Church's. Afternoons following lunch time, and ordering to eat there or take out from the indoor counter, the old guy is managing and working and the employees are doing what they were taught. Never order from drive through, you will not get your order, it could be better or worse. If the place is being run real time by a bunch of kids with no experience, you might have to finish the cooking in the oven.

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I went through the Popeyes drive through once. Took 45 minutes and it wasn't really that busy.
      Last edited by JoeSousa; March 1, 2019, 08:58 PM.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      Pope Yes!!! is pretty good.

Huntsville has dwindled from 3 RT's to 1 over the past 5 to 10 years, but the one keeps hanging on. I too think they have a great salad bar, but last time I ate at one it was in an airport (for the salad).

Comment

RT has some serious burgers. My favorite fast food joint might be Cook-Out based here in NC. Char-grilled burgers at their best and a ton of milkshake options (over 40!)

Comment

• prepperjack
        prepperjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, do I love Cook-Out. I never came across them until I moved to Georgia, but once I moved here I quickly became a fan. The food is always great and I'm always surprised by how how inexpensive it is. I was actually kinda happy for them when they raised the prices of the boxes a few years ago.

Probably a tie between Carrabba's and Red Robin. I love C's Marsala Chicken. RR has good burgers, but I can do better at home - just not as many choices for toppings. I love steak fries, and RR has bottomless fries!

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman Which one is the original?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd The original is on Woodway and Voss across from Second Baptist.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman Thank you, sir.

Ruby Tuesday has shut the door and moved out of northern Va.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; March 2, 2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        Truth. You must live right next door to me.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Sterling, of if you more stuck up, Potomac Falls. Pequod

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP I like that you got a like on RT leaving NOVA. I don’t know why but it made me chuckle.
        Last edited by Mudkat; May 31, 2021, 07:05 PM.

Funny you should bring it up. While we don't go to Ruby Tuesday a lot simply because it isn't nearby, when my wife and I are by one, we tend to eat there specifically because of the salad bar -- seems to be one of the last places that still has one.

While I eat at various chains from time to time, if force to pick a favorite, I guess I'd have to go with White Castle.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Sliders !! The original .....

for breakfast it would be cracker barrel, but in a pinch denny's. their pancakes are actually rather good.

for subs it would have to be capriottis, followed by firehouse.

for pizza it would be toppers followed by little cesar's.

for a burger...nothing. it seems like it's all garbage.

KFC for chicken, followed by chick fil-a

for just a sammich, arbys

cold sammich - milios

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Despite the largely bad rep (for reasons I guess I don't understand) Little Caesar's is one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures...I just LOVE their pizza!

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Dennys is way better than it used to be, I remember it being a place I'd avoid back in the 70s or 80s. Now it's ok.

Being in SA we have very few USA chain restaurants. Those that come to mind are KFC, Mc Donalds, Burger King, Domino's maybe a few others that I cant recall but I'd still rather dine at my local The HoleHogg Eatoutery. Smoked food has really improved over the last year and the other stuff is not half bad.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee California is a great place to visit, but.......I think you know the rest.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike
        Agreed. My last duty station in the military was in San Francisco. When I got out almost 40 years ago I joined the eastbound caravan on IH 10 back to Texas and haven't regretted it. I still love to go back to Norcal from time to time, but I wouldn't dream of moving back permanently.

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t mean to offend those that do like the places you mentioned but I’m not a fan either. Dominos I’m ok with but the others I haven’t been to in 10 or 15 years possibly.

I was going to say the same thing as HawkerXP , Ruby Tuesday closed for good about 5-6 years ago here in Houston. Something to do with food poisoning and a subsequent lawsuit.

Care to choose again Huskee ??

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
        I was going to say the same thing as HawkerXP , Ruby Tuesday closed for good about 5-6 years ago here in Houston. Something to do with food poisoning and a subsequent lawsuit.

Care to choose again Huskee ??
        A Michellin star restaurant in Spain just made a bunch of people sick and killed at least 1...so that sorta thing could happen anywhere really. Fancy-schmancy or chain. I am tempted to blame suppliers more than the facility really, but who knows the real cause.

Ruby Tuesdays up here in the great north are nice places with a fairly good rep. Most in my circle prefer them to Applebee's, much less college kid noisy festive atmosphere than the typical Applebee's.

Comment

Ruby Tuesday's salad bar is the best I have had. I have had everything on the Waffle House menu may times. The first time I had Waffle House in GA, I went back every day for a week. And Waffle House coffee is some of the best restaurant coffee I have ever had. Firehouse Subs for a sandwich.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the coffee at Waffle House.

Originally posted by Hulagn1971 View Post
          RT has some serious burgers. My favorite fast food joint might be Cook-Out based here in NC. Char-grilled burgers at their best and a ton of milkshake options (over 40!)
          https://cookout.com/
          You may already know this, but if you sign up for RT's emails (which come nearly daily, several a week anyway) you will get a free burger every year on your birthday. You actually get like a week to use it, doesn't have to be *on* your birthday. I've been able to get me my free burger a couple times. Buy a beer to go with it and I get a nice meal for $4.50 plus full tip. That's another touch that makes me really like that place.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Red Robin does the same thing. And a free burger for Vets on Veteran's Day too. My birthday is on Veteran's day, so I get two free burgers in November.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here