Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Trip

I hope this is the proper sub forum for this as I didn't see one that fits my question. So, if a lad from The Great State of Jefferson and his lass were to plan a Great BBQ Joint oriented RV trip, say enroute to an as yet scheduled Meat-up, and assuming a southern USA route of travel, what would be the best interstates to take to and fro to maximize the opportunities of hitting aforementioned Great BBQ Joints? We would probably give ourselves 3-4 weeks and side trips and recommendations are encouraged. I have included a USA road map for reference. Thanks!!

Free, printable map of the United States Interstate Highway system.

I truly have no idea, but I think you would want to take the most direct route to Arizona (for full traversal of Texas) or Texas itself. Looks like I-5 to I-10 to me. Then after Austin, many options open up.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      My first instinct was I-10 east to Atlanta, work our way to NC, then find our way to I-40 west to head home.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems good to me, but like Randy-Phx says, it's gonna be hot! May want to forego some of those interstates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0956.PNG
Views:	112
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	523106 I don't think you would want to make it all the way to Arizona, at least not until it cools off. That will be about October 15the or so. Next weeks forecast attached.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, spring or fall for sure.

Well... If you are going to take I-10 through Texas you have a plethora of choices for places to stop....

I would find a way to route up to Decatur, AL and hit Big Bob Gibson's BBQ at some point... Home of Chris Lilly the Pulled Pork god of Memphis in May.....

I would also maybe take a more Northern Route on the way back instead of 40.... maybe somewhere in that mess you could hit Memphis.

If you could get up to Owensboro, KY you could get you some Mutton and maybe Burgoo! Then if you could swing through Southern Illinois and hit Murphysboro, IL and hit 17th St Bar and Grill... home of "The Legend" Mike Mills who wrote Peace, Love, and BBQ... and if you go on a Sunday they put out a whole hog! From there you aren't too far from St. Louis where you could hop on I-70 which would land you in Kansas City... obviously a BBQ destination... then you could route back to the Great State of Jefferson....

When you are out in the Carolina's make sure to Rodney' Scott's BBQ in Charleston, SC... or the original place it all started, Scott's BBQ in Hemmingway, SC... or hit both... why not? Rodney just won a James Beard award!

Oh and while you are in KY you could do the Bourbon Trail!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, great response! I better start taking notes....

Just remember that if you inadvertently do something wrong and you're pulled over in the south, when the trooper says "Got any ID?", say " 'bout what?". You'll be let go with a warning...

Comment

Pick the joints and chart the course. Form follows function.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that, thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here