Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judging a BBQ Joint BEFORE you walk in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judging a BBQ Joint BEFORE you walk in

How do you judge a BBQ restaurant BEFORE you walk in? Sometimes, you just have to try it without knowing much, but I wonder if there's a common theme with all GOOD BBQ joints?

I walked into a BBQ place today and they already had two strikes before I walked in. 1) they only served pork shoulders (pulled or sliced, but NO beef/cow) and 2) no concealed carry allowed (weapons)

What is your criteria? Reviews only? Brisket on the menu (at least)? Point and flat distinction on the menu? Weapons allowed (haha)? All wood fired? High/Low price?

I avoid any that have a window full of trophies. Usually am carrying so I don't go in to any shop that prohibits it. I haven't eaten at enough good ones to figure out the signs yet. The only I would go back to is in an industrial area away from every other restaurant. Found it through word of mouth...

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the no trophy qualification. Funny!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you been to the Skylight Inn in Ayden NC - supposed to be some of the best whole hog Q available. It should only be a couple hours from Chesapeake.

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, I'm Not familiar with them, I'll have to look it up. Thanks

It has been 4+ years since I walked in a BBQ joint. I know the guys that owned it at the time. I can't remember what they had, but it was good. Maybe I had brisket on a potato. Not long after that my wife bought me an offset.....I then found a website you may have heard of.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      ProjectSmoke.com?

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      How to BBQ Right?

I heard of that website once...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Man your avatar pic is crazy!!!!!!!!

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Oink oink. Smile big.

If they advertise on their windows or their sign that they are the "best" or "award winning" that has the reverse effect and causes me to wonder why they feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. Awards, those are physical and that tells me there may be something to it, so I don't mind that, but it might not mean a whole lot either. Competition BBQ that's won awards is not the same as production BBQ in most places. I've found the humble little places that are worth it don't need to advertise in such a manner.

Comment

Another trophy type distinction. I'll stay away from those.

I was a bit thrown off by the no brisket (only pork shoulder). You ever had a place that did that and was worth the $$?

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Whole Hog, I wonder of they avoid Kosher Salt for seasoning. I bet they were open on Saturday too.

I drive around back. If there is no woodpile I keep on driving.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Good one

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Or if you drive around the joint and don't see smoke and there is no smoke smell.

Place down the road keeps the wood out front since that is where the smoker is.

Comment

• GirlpoweredBBQ
        GirlpoweredBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that a fail then, because it's not in back? Lol

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        "font" woodpiles and smokers are just for show! Fake smoke. Can't trust it. Gotta be in the back. Like when you want the good shoes in your size, they always get 'em from the back.

If I don't see a woodpile, a real one that gets used, not just a show pile, that's strikes 1-3. If I drive around back and can't see a pit anywhere, then that means they have a Southern Pride/Ole Hickory inside, and while they use a few logs a day to supplement the gas, well, it's not the same! No Wood Burning Smoker, No Smoke.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        The majority of the few places we have up here use electric smokers. I’ve never looked it up but there may be a bylaw about wood fires or some kinda crap like that

Originally posted by PaulstheRibList View Post
      If I don't see a woodpile, a real one that gets used, not just a show pile, that's strikes 1-3. If I drive around back and can't see a pit anywhere, then that means they have a Southern Pride/Ole Hickory inside, and while they use a few logs a day to supplement the gas, well, it's not the same! No Wood Burning Smoker, No Smoke.
      We have a donut shop in town that opened up a little diner and advertises "smoked pulled pork". They use electric smoker ovens inside. It is terrible. It tastes like bland unsalted crock pot pork, and it obviously necessitates sauce (then it becomes pretty tasty). SO many people rate the place highly on TripAdvisor. It's a shame. But I guess those places exist for the people that "love it so much". Bleh.
      Last edited by Huskee; March 12, 2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• GirlpoweredBBQ
        GirlpoweredBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe those reviewers have never had the real thing!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        GirlpoweredBBQ I think that's it. Our area is not known for real BBQ so I think any attempt at it pleases most people.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        There is one place in Georgetown up here that uses an electric smoker and it is good some days very good.
        Huskee nailed put the right sauce on a pig ear it’ll taste good

I don't have a menu expectation being that BBQ can still be somewhat regional. Maybe they only serve pork or maybe they are primarily beef... maybe they are dry ribs or maybe they are wet ribs. Beef and Brisket is a new revelation in parts of the south and east when it comes to Q as pork is a new trend in parts of Texas.

I tend to like a simple menu. Pick a couple things and do it better than anyone else around is.

I like to think this video helps clear things up when considering different kinds of Q

Comment

• Pitmaster134
        Pitmaster134 commented
        Editing a comment
        love this video! they showed it when I took my KCBS judging class, and I watch it every now and then

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too!

I don't want to see trophies, immaculate tables or a hyper sanitary atmosphere. Some of the best bbq joints I've been to (mainly in Texas) all had a slightly dusty, wooden floor, backwoods feel to them. That tells me that they know where to focus their energies, the food. I'm not saying that a place should be filthy, that's never good, but a rustic/hometown feel is what I look for.

Here's a perfect example of what I mean, a great bbq joint in a suburb of Houston, Texas: http://swingingdoor.com/

My wife and I ate there a few years ago and loved it. If you're ever in the Houston area make it a point to stop in there, you won't be disappointed.

Comment

There's a place in Detroit called Slow's that's a wooden beam steakhouse kinda place. Has a vibe almost like a chain steakhouse. But, their brisket is really good. Not slap yo mamma & start a blog about it good, but good. Ribs, not so much. They're cooked perfectly, but way underseasoned. Typically I find the sorta fancy chain steakhouse decor places have the worst BBQ. Like you say ribeyeguy, you can tell where places focus their energies.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Fancy chain steakhouses typically have the BBQ prepared at a factory and delivered

Last summer my wife and I traveled to Youngstown Ohio for a James Taylor concert. We both wanted to check out the local bbq scene and opted for a place called Smoky Bones. At the time I didn't know that it was a chain, we thought that it was simply a local joint. We got one foot in the door and we both knew that we were going to hate it. Ultra modern atmosphere, computers to play with at the tables and piped in pseudo country music. It was everything that a bbq restaurant shouldn't be. We both ordered brisket and as expected it was just ridiculous, rubbery and flavorless.

It's places like those that people flock to and actually believe that they're eating top shelf bbq. I just don't get it.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly. Ate there about a year ago with family. The brisket was laughable. Couldn't even get angry over it really, I just had to laugh. They have good loaded cheese fries and beer though.

I just check the street address. If it's not mine, I drive right on by ... thanks AR!!!

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          And for the rest of us your address is????

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here