Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hometown BBQ/Brooklyn, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hometown BBQ/Brooklyn, New York

I was lucky enough to spend some time in NYC this past weekend to visit friends and family. One place that I made sure we checked out was Hometown BBQ in Brooklyn, New York. Recently, I had seen a Yeti ambassador short on Bill Durney, one of the owners of Hometown. The story made me want to stop and sample some of his Que. Bill embodies everything that I love about BBQ. Hard work, dedication, passion and love for people and the art.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3298.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.24 MB ID:	536707
    Hometown BBQ is located in the Red Hook area of Brooklyn and was nothing more than a warehouse before Bill bought the building a converted it into a spectacular, Texas-style BBQ joint that is cranking out some amazing food.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0605.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	536702
    The line took us about an hour to go through before getting our food, but it was well worth the wait. Although you have to wait a while, you are able to go inside, grab a beer or iced tea while you wait. Sometimes they will even bring out a sample platter for the people waiting in line.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2723.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	536704
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8328.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	536706
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1067.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	536705
    Here are a few shots of the food we ordered. The first was a large Beef rib! This was phenomenal. Very simple rub, salt and pepper, maybe some garlic powder in there too but the flavor was outstanding. And on par with any I have had in Texas. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0646.JPG Views:	1 Size:	414.9 KB ID:	536701
    The Brisket was also phenomenal. It was very similar to the beef rib in flavor and texture, but I couldn't go to Hometown and not buy some brisket.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0625.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	536703
    One of my favorite items were the Korean Sticky Ribs! These were out of this world good. Hoisin was the predominant flavor on these ribs, topped with crushed peanuts, and scallions. So good I almost got back in the 1-hour line we waited in.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0647.JPG Views:	1 Size:	432.4 KB ID:	536698
    The final meat we ordered was Vietnamese Wings. These were unbelievable. They might have been the best wings that I have ever had in my life. Sweet, hot and smokey. Absolutely spectacular. Topped with scallions and cilantro.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0644.JPG Views:	1 Size:	442.6 KB ID:	536699

All in all, I would highly recommend the trip and wait if you are in the NYC/Jersey area. Bill Durney is doing some great things and I hope his restaurant continues to grow into the future! I was not able to meet Bill, but I hope to do so when I return to Hometown during my next pilgrimage to NYC.

They have a very good reputation (I've never been). That menu was enticing to say the least, and the food pics just reinforced it!

Thanks!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Get over there brother! You are pretty close!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I guess I could ferry over to the Wall St pier instead of the 34th St, then take the East River ferry over to Red Hook some time. But I am a lazy man.

I tried to make it there in March but a snowstorm and other obligations prevented me. So darn close-

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You will have to make sure to make it next time, as I said, it is well worth it!

NICE..... Looks like you had some outstanding food there. If the traffic wasn’t so bad I would go in a heartbeat.
    Wings seem to be really good here in NY so I hear.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Especially when you make them!

Thanks Spinaker! Looks delicious.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      For sure! It was a great time!

Great lookin' food, and also sounds great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here