Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John's Pizza of Times Square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John's Pizza of Times Square

Just went up to NYC last Saturday to celebrate my and my daughter's birthday. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis Times Square, and went to see the revival of "Cats" on Broadway. Great times! You have to eat before the show, so we thought "New York Pizza!"
    John's is an institution there. Housed in a converted church, they have no less than 4 authentic coal fired brick pizza ovens that I saw. They may have more, I don't know.

Even at 5:00 o'clock we had to wait 15 minutes for a seat. We were seated on the upper level, which was pretty awesome. The service was friendly, and pretty quick, given the crowd.
    We had fried calamari and mozzarella wedges for appetizers. The calamari was perfect, and the homemade mozzarella wedges were to die for! The marinara sauce was amazing. And the appetizer portions were big, not stingy at all.

The pizza: omigosh the PIZZA! Thin crust done to perfection, crispy edges, and just the right amount of leoparding on the bottom. Flavorful sauce and excellent cheese. We were practically drooling all over ourselves.

This is not the place for an intimate dinner date. It is open, and noisy when crowded. But we didn't care, we were there for the pizza, and we were not disappointed. They still have the old stained glass from the church, which is really cool!
    If you are in NYC around Times Square, John's is definitely worth a visit. And it is not super expensive. Our check for three of us with two appetizers, large pizza, and two beers was $65. Not bad for New York!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thunder77; September 12, 2016, 08:39 PM. Reason: Typos

Hey! watts amatter you? I don't see no pizza?

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree... "No money shot" but a nice write up anyway! Happy birthday to you and your daughter.👍

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, we were too busy eating it! :-) besides, I thought that only applied if you cooked it yourself.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of places call it NY style, but it aint so.

It all starts with the water. You brewers and bakers know that.

I used to work a couple blocks away and I never heard of it. It would have been nice to get GOOD NY pizza.

Comment

visited the original Johns in February for first time. Best crust I have ever had on a pizza. Nice find!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here