Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MC'Rib / Subway Pit smoke Brisket Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC'Rib / Subway Pit smoke Brisket Anyone?

Personally have never tried either of these and honestly McRib has always given me the creeps. Just funny how I am seeing all the McRib adds now. Anyone here ever try?

I'm a closet lover of McRib. I don't know what it is about it, because it certainly doesn't resemble anything that I could make myself, and make it better. It's curious, but I love it.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't feel bad, you are not alone. Guilty myself.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in the same virtual closet, brother!

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty much like anything at McDonald's, their burgers don't really seem like any burger I'd ever make either. But, I like them and the McRib and, once in a while, McNuggets. I think its as much a nostalgia thing as anything. Much like White Castle's -- if they didn't get you young, you probably don't like it.

Much like the brisket sandwich at Arby's, these are pretty good as long as you don't think of them as real ribs, brisket, etc.

Comment

• DiverDriver
      DiverDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it.... in other words if your expectation is real then foggettabowtet.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had the Subway brisket sandwich while traveling up to Buffalo in the spring. I thought it was very good, for a Subway.

McRib consists of a restructured boneless pork patty shaped like a miniature rack of ribs, barbecue sauce, onions, and pickles served on a 5 1⁄2 inches (14 cm) roll. The process of restructuring the meat was first developed by the US Army as a means to deliver low cost meat products to troops in the field.

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, so spam shaped like ribs?

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      This confirms something for me then. I don't have a very limited palate, and I guess I can blame the Army for that. Back in the day, MREs did not bother me one bit. The 'pork patty' MRE was particularly sought after by several others in my platoon, believe it or not.

Guess that's why I like the McRib. I keep it to one/maybe two sandwiches per 'McRib Season' though.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Come to think of it, the pork patty and the meatballs in bbq sauce were the best two. That probably explains a lot.

DiverDriver I will confess to having eaten a McRib back in the 1980's, and not being super impressed with it. I had one again a couple of years ago when the re-introduced it, just to see what it was about, and if it was as bad as I remembered.

It's just a ground pork patty smothered in BBQ sauce, on a bun. Nothing exciting or really very appealing about it to me, and I would get a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder over it, but that's me. If you like pork patties better than beef patties, and like BBQ sauce, then maybe its your thing!

Comment

I make sure to get extra pickles on mine. Yum.

Comment

I love the McRib. My wife calls it the McMystery meat. But Harry Soo loves it too, and he made a you tube video cloning it. I haven't got around to trying it yet, but since they are back at McD, I will be having a few:

Comment

I have been curious about McRibs for years, but not curious enough to try one....

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Just grill a ground pork patty, put it on a bun, and cover it with BBQ sauce and pickles. Yours will likely be better than the real thing.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never had one, either. I read the threads from time to time here and they always make me laugh. Everyone has an opinion about them.

I get a McRib every now and then. Part of me enjoys it but most of me regrets the decision.

One of these days when I have a free day I want to give this a try: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ib-recipe.html

Comment

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          yup but dead of winter and you get a hankering... check out klflowers post above.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          I've made that and it is really good. Sorry, I just posted the same thing on a comment to an earlier post. :-)

I remember trying one back in the 80's as well and the texture kind of grossed me out. But at least I checked that box.

Comment

BJ's or Costco (can't remember which) used to sell complete, fully cooked and assembled faux McRib-type sandwiches frozen in packages of six or 8. They could be heated nicely in a microwave. I used to keep them in the freezer in my basement family room and eat them for lunch on occasion. This was about 30 years ago. I haven't seen them recently, that I can recall.

Comment

To me it is just ground pork covered with a sweet KC type sauce, onions and pickles. The meats a little tough, but overall not all not a bad sandwich. I won't go out of my way but will get it if i'm around an McD's at lunch time. There are a lot worst sandwich's out there.

Comment

I tried the Subway brisket sandwich yesterday. Meh.

Comment

I have tried the Subway brisket and I agree with TheQuietOne - just meh

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDriver View Post
                  Personally have never tried either of these and honestly McRib has always given me the creeps. Just funny how I am seeing all the McRib adds now. Anyone here ever try?

I had one for lunch today, and I enjoyed it very much. But, one per McRib season is enough.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't even know it was back until this thread. I'll have to track one down before it disappears again.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here