Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LA 2 FSU Road Trip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    LA 2 FSU Road Trip

    Ok, travel bugs…. I promised a friend that I would help with a culinary itinerary. His daughter is getting inducted into the FSU Hall of Fame for volleyball next week. He and his wife are driving. Basically interstate 10 the whole way. They are taking their time doing about 8-10 hours at a time. The conversation started when we started talking about his trip to Kansas City, MO for work in October. More on that later. First, road trip to FSU. My initial thought was Laura’s 2 for sure. Big cities on the way show:

    Phoenix
    Tucson
    El Paso
    San Antonio (Seguin)
    Houston
    Lafayette
    Baton Rouge/NOLA
    Mobile
    Tallahassee

    what say y’all?



    #2
    Burnt Bean

    Comment


    #3
    #9 on Texas Monthly’s Top 50 list is Truth BBQ. 58limited and I can vouch for its ranking. It’s only 1/2 mile South of I-10 as they drive through Houston so it would be convenient. If they’re in the mood for something different let me know and I’ll see what I can recommend.

    Comment


    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m compiling the list and this place looks awesome!

    • Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      SA, Truth BBQ also plays some great Blues music inside the restaurant. And they do it right, just loud enough to enjoy it, but not too loud where you can’t carry on a conversation. AND……there’s a really nice and large HEB right across the street!

    #4
    https://elguerocanelo.com/ for Sonoran hot dogs in Tucson. These are not our father's backyard burnt offerings, but an unforgettable experience.

    Also, https://lilabnerssteakhouse.com/ in Marana, AZ just north of Tucson. Good food, good booze, and a great hangout.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; September 14, 2026, 06:24 PM.

    Comment


      #5
      I can help with El Paso spots, and will provide 1 for Las Cruces, NM since they are driving through Las Cruces prior to EP (45 minutes).

      Carnitas Queretaro - in El Paso - great food - lunch/dinner - was one of my favorite spots to eat when I was traveling to EP every other week. Great tacos!!!! And their posole was excellent as well. My son loved the mole enchiladas. But, this was back in the day, 2019 was probably the last time I was there, but it was consistently good.

      Cafe Central - El Paso - fine dining for lunch/dinner - great food in the downtown area, so some other spots around as well. But this place has had some of the best octopus I’ve had!

      L&J’s Cafe - El Paso - all day food - kind of a staple spot in El Paso, great Mexican food.

      Andele’s Dawg House - in Las Cruces - it’s outstanding! 58limited and WI Bubba enjoyed their visit to this spot, and I always go when I’m in LC visiting the man child. Mexican food

      Comment


        #6
        I don’t venture into Mobile often, but work takes there on occasion. I’ve eaten at Felix’s on the causeway, decent food, good fresh oysters. One that apparently is a must, for nostalgia reasons is the Dew Drop Inn(1807 old shell rd in Mobile). Let us know how it goes.

        If you’re adventurous, on the panhandle is Indian Pass Raw Bar, best oysters ever! That’s near Port St Joe.

        Comment


          #7
          NOLA - Commander’s Palace. At minimum, Cafe du Monde for beignets.

          Comment


          • SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            There are already huge Cafe DuMonde fans!

          • LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Great food at Commanders, but be sure you bring a fat wallet!

          #8
          McGuire's Pensacola, FL

          Comment


            #9
            Oddly enough I just made a very similar trip, twice.

            Brisket and Rice in Houston is excellent.
            1701 BBQ in Beaumont TX is excellent, especially their ribs.
            Paul's Rib Shack is a great place to stop in Lake Charles. They are open Wed-Sat.
            Maplewood Burgers in Sulphur, LA is also very good for a quick stop that isn't a chain.
            The Shed in Ocean Springs has been very good, but the last couple of times I was there, it was hit and miss. Their chicken is still incredible.
            Empanola in Ocean Springs is also good, but a little ways off the highway.
            French Kiss Pastries in Ocean Springs is a must stop anytime I'm in the area, but again it requires a side quest off the highway. The mini cakes and tartlets are well worth the detour.

            I didn't find anything that was really good between Houston and El Paso, but I only spent one night between the two in a very small town.
            East of Ocean Springs is uncharted for me.

            Comment


            • LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              It has been at least 10 years since I have been to the Shed in Ocean Springs and on that trip the chicken was the best out of everything we had.

            #10
            Like jayjordan mentioned, Commanders Palace in NO. Best etouffe i have ever had. And Daisy Duke's in NO. Great gator tail.

            Comment

            Announcement

            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            0
            Guest
            Guest
            500
            ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
            7