Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gemato's Wood Pit BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gemato's Wood Pit BBQ

Gemato's has two locations. Worth Illinois and Naperville Illinois. As I was left to my own devices this weekend, I decided to try the Worth location. I've driven past it for years but never went in.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230218_110550.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1380564
    Looks promising

Name:	20230218_110514.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1380569
    They sell their own sauce

Name:	20230218_111250.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1380565
    It turns out that this is a Greek owned restaurant. As many of you may know, A Greek behind a register is all business. No time for small talk about their cooking process so I went with the flow. I ordered a sampler of chicken, pulled pork, baby back ribs, and added Hot links. I have no experience with these, so I thought it was time. It came with baked beans, Greek potato wedges, and garlic bread.

Name:	20230218_113755.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1380566

Name:	20230218_113752.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1380568

Name:	20230218_113744.jpg
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	1380567
    $26 out the door. Now for the review. The chicken was good. I could taste some smoke. I searched the pulled pork and ribs and there was no evidence of any smoke ring. The meat was all grey. I'm assuming that it was boiled until tender, then finished on the grill, and then drowned in sauce. I couldn't taste any smoke. I think the Hot links were just hot Italian sausage. The beans had a good flavor to them, but in my opinion, the sauce could have been a little thicker but that's just me. The potatoes were salt, pepper, and some lemon. They could have used a little more cook time. The garlic bread was chewy and bland. I'm glad that I didn't try the brisket. It probably would have been drowned in sauce as well. The service was friendly, and the restaurant was very clean. I wouldn't consider this a true BBQ restaurant, but the food did taste OK so on a scale of 1 - 5 I'd give them a 3.

That was my thought from the pictures, before reading your comments - these people use a whole lotta sauce. Trying to dress it up to 'look' like BBQ maybe. I dunno.

Well, sorry it was a disappointing trip. And for $26 for one person, you'd hope you get something really good.

Comment

I am always suspicious of restaurants that feel they need to sauce protein before serving.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here