Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chick-Fil-A to sell a Califlower Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chick-Fil-A to sell a Califlower Sandwich

Looks like the original, but tastes just a bit different.

They are quick to point out that while it is plant-based (a literal plant, not something concocted in a lab), it is not vegetarian. They are not creating an isolated vegetarian/vegan area of their kitchen or using different prep ingredients. It's also not gluten-free (although the bun itself can be switched out if desired)

People interested in trying this can check out in Denver, Charleston, and Greensboro NC.

source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...w/11205023002/

Thats not a sammy, it is a salad.

Comment

Yeah, no thanks.

Comment

What's the point? It's not vegetarian, so they're not marketing to that crowd. It's got a bun and the cauliflower is breaded, so it's not for the keto / low-carb folks. Not sure who would want this.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
          WillTravelForFood commented
          Editing a comment
          some vegetarians are less strict than others.

And there are folks who are allergic to poultry -- and while a terribly small audience, it's something.

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Its a vegetarian sandwich, they are just referencing it is cooked in the same equipment and using the same utensils as the rest of their food which is acceptable to many vegetarians and the ones that are concerned with "cross-contamination" likely wouldn't step foot in a Chik-Fil-A in the first place.

Should be tasty. Cauliflower steaks are delicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181007_190847.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1374742

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181007_192120-ANIMATION.gif
Views:	144
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	1374743

Comment

Finally!

Comment

Great tech effects. Attjack

Comment

WHY!?!

Comment

I'm on the pro-cauliflower side of the fence. Sounds tasty. However, I don't see how there would be all that much difference between this and a fried piece of white poultry. The poultry part is low-cal. It's the breading and frying part that "gets" you. Seems like fried cauliflower would be only slightly healthier.

Comment

Perception is reality. If it is perceived as healthier by the person reading the menu, then for them it is. They will buy them. Only people like the ones here are going to go to the trouble to ask questions.

Comment

Hmmmm ...

I like cauliflower (and vegetables in general).
                    I like fried stuff.
                    I like salads.
                    I like sandwiches.
                    I'm not a vegetarian or (slap me if I ever say I am) a vegan.

It's not that I suddenly hate meat now, but I'd give that cauliflower Sammy a try at least once ... might be pretty ok ...

Comment

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't think they would bother making it if it wasn't pretty good.

• mrteddyprincess
                      mrteddyprincess commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Fried anything is good, right?

• LA Pork Butt
                      LA Pork Butt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you fry it they will come!

On a more serious side I’ve grilled vegetables for years - especially cauliflower. My wife has had some memory issues, not severe now, but after extensive testing and a meeting the doctor she was put on some meds and we were told the Blue Zone diet was your brain’s friend. Thus we have moved toward a more plant based diet - beans, greens, grains and fruits - reserving meats for celebratory occasions. I have discovered that using other spices than the traditional BBQ spices I can create some pretty tasty stuff. Lunch was a pretty tasty mix of leftovers, spices, garbanzos, and greens. We don’t fry so the spices are essential.

The world of BBQ was an exploration for me and now I am enjoying the exploration of cooking vegetables. By the way grilled fruit can be pretty tasty.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                      LA Pork Butt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Attjack I have his book “Cooking with Vegetables” which I am betting is an older version of the one you noted. Thanks for caring.

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, this one is by Steven Raichlen who usually writes BBQ and Grilling books so it's grilling vegetables through that lens.

• LA Pork Butt
                      LA Pork Butt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Attjack I checked it out and is different from the one I have. It looks like it has some great recipes. I paid 2.99 on the Kindle version.

I'll try it next time I'm there on a Sunday.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                      SheilaAnn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you know, you know. 🤣🤣🤣

If it is reasonably priced I would try it. At least it is not some mystery thing pretending to be something else.

Shake Shack makes a "burger" that is a large breaded portabello mushroom with lots of cheese. They also offer a burger (the stack I think) that has one beef patty and one of these mushrooms. It is my favorite at that establishment.

If Chikfilet offers that as a double with a chicken slab that sounds very good to me.
                    Last edited by RolfTaylor; February 9, 2023, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 for minimally processed non-meat foods. Plenty of delicious vegetarian food that's not ultra-processed. On the other hand, I do eat some processed foods myself so I can't fault vegetarians and vegans for doing it too.

It doesn't make any difference to me what a person eats as food, but I had been reading that the "meat replacements" thing has been largely a failure.. in fast food anyway.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here