Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rudy’s BBQ….First Time Eating There, My Review and Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rudy’s BBQ….First Time Eating There, My Review and Thoughts

I was in the mood for some BBQ this week and having heard some pretty decent reviews of Rudy’s BBQ, I decided to try them out. I’d never eaten at one of their locations before. According to Wikipedia, Rudy’s has 47 locations in the Southwestern United States. They’re located in Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico and 1 location in Florida. The vast majority are in Texas. From Rudy’s website, here’s a short history.
    A little about us...

Just north of San Antonio, at the edge of the Texas Hill Country, sits the small community of Leon Springs. Founded in the 1800s by Max Aue, Leon Spring's cityscape changed when Max's son, Rudolph, opened a one-stop gas station, garage, and grocery store.

Bar-B-Q was added to the operation in 1989, and Rudy's "Country Store" and Bar-B-Q has been serving up tasty food ever since. The same original recipes that built Rudy's Leon Springs' reputation are now available throughout the Southwest.

Our pits are 100% wood fired with oak, a slower burning wood than the mesquite used by others. Along with time and oak, we cook with a dry spice that ensures each plate of Rudy's Bar-B-Q is perfectly ready for you. Apply some of our famous " Sause" and dinner is served. END OF WEBSITE QUOTE…..

​Living in Texas, I consider myself blessed and lucky to have eaten some of the best BBQ on the planet. [no, not at my house 🥸] Because of having attended 4 Texas MeatUps and living in Houston, I’ve sampled some of the best BBQ there is. Is it fair to compare food from a big BBQ chain to a single standalone operation? I think so, what else am I gonna compare them with…Dickey’s? Anyway, here’s my thoughts and a review of the Rudy’s BBQ located in Katy, Tx., just about a 20 minute drive from my house.

Click image for larger version  Name:	821063F6-781B-4862-8D57-6095FC764AB7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	1360626

The first thing I do at a new place is drive around back and look for wood splits and smokers…Bingo on the wood!

Click image for larger version  Name:	F2BEA4A8-6EEB-4259-BDFE-B70033F61AAA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	1360635
    Rudy’s has a nice old time BBQ joint atmosphere…..
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BCCEC177-D4A8-4539-86F2-33ACE93F9DB0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	1360628
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E00DD055-FE5F-4F0D-953F-F89FDAE0B59A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	1360634
    An employee was nice enough to show me their wood fired smokers located inside the restaurant behind the kitchen area. This is just one of the many rotisserie style cookers they had. She said they are all wood fueled, no gas. Briskets are smoked 12-14 hours.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AA071749-620B-442D-AE6C-231EA5B30DDA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	1360630

They had plenty of their BBQ sauce they make, for sale to take home.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0B6B18BD-D9A8-4AD0-9759-2BD5A554A41B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	1360632
    When I first entered the restaurant I could detect a little bit of “BBQ smoke” odor. I attributed the faint smell to their ventilation system doing its job. I walked up to the counter and placed my order….1/4 lb. of point brisket slices, 2 pork ribs and a link of their jalapeño sausage. My sides were a cream style corn and pinto beans, with a small Dr. Pepper to drink. Total damage was almost $30!, ….$29.50 to be exact, a little pricey I thought.

After sitting down, I was impressed with the looks of my brisket and ribs! Nice peppery looking bark on the brisket, as well as a decent smoke ring. The ribs looked pretty nice as well…..but, looks can be deceiving. My first piece of brisket was cut from the outside, with lots of bark and some good fat to go with the meat. It was actually pretty good and I could definitely taste the smoke. On to some sausage….I was not too impressed with the sausage. It wasn’t bad, but just a tad dry and a little bit tough. It was helped a lot by applying some of their pretty darn decent BBQ sauce. Next I tried one of the pork ribs. The ribs had a nice bark on them and were also tender with a nice smoke flavor. While the crust tasted good, the meat inside the ribs was a little bland. They also benefited from some BBQ sauce. Surprisingly, the next 2 slices of brisket I tried were dry and not as tender as they should have been, and remember, this was from the point and not the flat.

My side order of cream style corn was pretty damn good, it tasted like it could be homemade, not sure. The beans were a BBQ style which were ok, but did taste like something out of a can and not from scratch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	52DE4CC8-3B78-4196-9921-0669466DB59A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	1360631

Click image for larger version  Name:	80DFBF0C-459D-453A-A00D-8EC95E479F44.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	1360633

The brisket and ribs looked better than they tasted.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	30AF6E4D-09E5-4FA6-AD40-2B05530B4C0B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	1360629
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4901EE29-0520-4F91-A73C-70409641885B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	1360627

FINAL GRADES:

Brisket C+
    Ribs C
    Sausage C-
    Creamed corn A
    Beans C+

I was actually expecting a little better than this from Rudy’s, as I’d heard some pretty decent comments about them previously. All in all it wasn’t bad, I was just hoping for better. I won’t be back though, there’s way too many killer Q joints in Houston with much better food for the same or not much more $.
    Last edited by Panhead John; January 12, 2023, 04:44 PM.

Nice write up, thanks. I'm sure it's hard for a chain operation, especially BBQ, to get consistency. We don't dine out much due to the lack of restaurants here. When we do get out I'm shocked at the prices. I know costs have gone through the roof, but it still seems pricing is high with very mediocre food.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't dine out much either. Not because of a lack of restaurants, but that they run over and lock the door when they see me get out of my truck.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Can’t blame em for that….you grouchy old bastard.

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I also used to get that treatment a lot ComfortablyNumb . I was in college and a mexican food joint started up a Tuesday Night Tacos deal. All the tacos you could eat for like $6. They sneered at my friend and I every Tuesday. haha!
      The first Mr. Gatti's in town suffered the same fate many times. They had a salad bar so it was healthy that I ate one meal a day... and it was a doozy of a meal.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and found that they had Iceburg Lettuce on for 6.49 CAD. Last year you could get them on sale for .99 a head. Produce prices in general have really taken a huge jump where I am, need a mortgage to buy fruit. Anyway, nice write up and at least you can go to a BBQ restaurant, we don't have a dedicated BBQ restaurant in my local just a few places that serve pulled pork and brisket sandwiches and they are nothing to write home about. Mine's better.

Comment

My personal experience in their Colorado Springs store would be an F+ on brisket (paper thin, tough, and couldn't pull apart), ribs (an F+ on... Ribs, super tough). I honestly didn't try their other offerings and haven't been back.

Comment

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        tstalafuse Having lived in the Colorado Springs area for 22 years I can concur with you. HOWEVER, it is still the best BBQ in the area....unfortunately. They are always busy and do a heck of a lot of catering.

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John Clark next time you are here, I will "treat" you to Colorado Springs finest..

• Grillin Dad
        Grillin Dad commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll second that opinion. My folks live near the Springs and rave about Rudy's. So much so that Rudy's catered my sister's wedding. I was thoroughly unimpressed (and this was before I started smoking myself). Sides were nothing impressive and the meat was either overly greasy or dry.

Thanks for the write-up. Restaurant chains, IMHO, tend to shoot for the mediocre, a taste that is acceptable to the unsophisticated palate. It looks like Rudy's puts on a nice show with their all wood smokers. Too bad they didn't give you good food.

Comment

Note to self: Avoid Rudy's on my trip.

Comment

How would compare Rudy’s to Dickey’s?

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Sunny, I’d say Rudy’s has the nod over Dickies because of the smoke flavor, which was non-existent at Dickies and the bark was better at Rudy’s. Their BBQ sauce was also much better than Dickies.

• tstalafuse
            tstalafuse commented
            Editing a comment
            I have been to both in the DFW area, but they are about the same. Bad

I ate several times at their original Leon Springs location before they went chain. Pretty good in those days. Their smoked turkey is still good, and cream style corn is legendary.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Leon Springs was my first visit to Rudy's. This was before I ever started smoking meat at home, and I was really impressed. That was the beginning of my quest to learn how to cook brisket.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Larry, I should have tried the turkey and thought about it, but I’m stuck in my ways and usually always get the big 3. The cream style corn was actually the star of the show for me.

• Texas Larry
            Texas Larry commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John there are copycat recipes on the internet for Rudy’s corn. We make it occasionally. Dead easy.

If you have ever been to Rudy's BBQ in Texas, you will know that this taste exactly like their creamed corn. Delicious!!

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	52DE4CC8-3B78-4196-9921-0669466DB59A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	1360631
          That ain't brisket point. And they left over 1/2" of fat cap on at least part of it, but that CAN'T be brisket point. It just doesn't have the structure.

Am I wrong? Does anyone else think that looks like any point muscle in the history of point muscles????

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I watched the guy as he put a whole new brisket on the cutting board. I told him I wanted slices from the point and watched him cut slices from the big end. I know the difference between point and flat….that’s all I can say.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            So do YOU think it was point Panhead John? Man, that's gotta be the driest point I've ever seen....

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven’t given it much thought and didn’t pay that much attention to any type of “structure”. I saw what I saw and yeah, after the first piece, the other 2 were dry.
            Last edited by Panhead John; January 12, 2023, 08:42 PM.

Definitely not the experience I've had at the place my buddies and I frequented darn near weekly when I was in Houston (south of town, Clear Lake area). When I got brisket, it was always the "moist", i.e. point, rather than the "lean", i.e. flat. They did overcook some ribs from time to time, for sure, but 9 times out of 10 they were great (my usual go-to). I'm not a sausage kinda guy so can't comment there. And I do love their "Sause"! We keep it in stock via mail order. Not overly sweet, thank heavens, with a nice peppery zip.

Sorry you had a mediocre visit - but as you say, there is no shortage of great BBQ near you, so no biggie!

Comment

It is a chain BBQ joint. The brisket slices are too thick. Newby comes to mind. Maybe it will get better just before that location closes. LOL

Panhead John the following is a link to all of their locations for you to review.

Do they have Coor's light for you or PBR for me?

Comment

I was at this same location last summer and it was kind of a letdown. Not bad, but not nearly as good as I remember the original location at Leon Springs being. Something was just "off."

If you're ever in the San Antonio area, maybe give that one a try.

Comment

I can honestly say I coulda built them wood cages.

Too much bragging about not using gas. Smoque BBQ in Chicago knocks it out the park and got plenty gas going, as do many other places.

Comment

I’ve always enjoyed Rudy’s, but I suppose that’s because we are limited to just a few BBQ joints here in Albuquerque. My order is usually similar to yours - brisket and sausage, with potato salad and beans. I know location to location, quality can vary.

But, I’ve never been disappointed when I’ve made a trip. We don’t go often but when we do, it’s been good eats.

sorry you didn’t have a great experience John. It’s funny how experiences vary as well, as my trip to Austin in November allowed me to visit one of the popular BBQ joints and I left disappointed, as did my family.

I guess that’s why we are all Pit Masters

Comment

Okay, no one needs to respond. Rudy's original tag line was "The Wurst BBQ in Texas". At one point it was very good and they had the best Wurst in Texas. There was recent tag line about the 4 BBQ styles in Texas, yes Rudy's was a Hill Country style where the German/Chech was their influence. Rudy's did have the best Wurst sausage. Unfortunately, they have become a chain and now are among the worst in Texas, along with Dickey's and Colter's. I am sure that many here can guide you the BEST in Texas and not the worst. Although, they never put beans in there chili.. bada boom!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here