Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boomin BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomin BBQ

Anyone else enjoying what this pair is putting out? I stopped by in July and had their brisket and smoked juicy lucy. Today I tried their double patty burger. Will give the beef ribs a try if I get there in time. Today someone beat me to the last ones.

Daniel Vaughn even dropped by and featured their BBQ.

Just browsing the forum pages, as I am a new member. Saw this reference to Booming BBQ, so I decided give a shout out to Boomin BBQ . . .. I've been there, and I love what they do. I've spoke with others that feel the same way.

In fairness, I should disclose that I may be biased.

They purchase Wagyu beef from us for some of their products . . .

That being said, I still think they do a great job!

signed,

one of the Fellers from Fellers Ranch.

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers the address is 60 miles north of me. Now you know exactly where it is.

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      So, basically the middle of frozen nowhere is what you’re saying Bogy ?

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Draznnl Pretty much!

It is good stuff, I had some of there BBQ at an event in the spring.

Comment

Yes, we raise our Wagyu just outside of Conger, MN -- which is about 8 miles from Albert Lea, MN.

When ready, our cattle are hauled two miles to Conger Meat Market, where they are graded, processed and dry-aged. The owners in Conger Meat Market are partners in Fellers Ranch.

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions, and if you are in the area, we'd love to meet you and let you see what we have to offer. . . .

or our website is www.fellersranch.com

Thanks.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be ordering something as soon as I get a couple extra bucks

I posted this link in the Introductions thread . . .but I thought I'd post it here as well.

The City of Minneapolis and Boomin BBQ are in a dispute over ordinance restrictions relative to food trucks. Boomin could get shut down over it.

Animales Barbeque Co. and Boomin Barbecue say a rule that prohibits the use of offset smokers now threatens their businesses.

Comment

That Star Tribune article may not be available to you . . .paywall.

Here is an update from Boomin BBQ:

Boomin Barbecue, Minneapolis, Minnesota. 3,632 likes · 16 talking about this. Wood. Smoke. Meat

Comment

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          The key phrase is what they emphasized. “prevent us from competing with restaurants". No idea what fees food trucks have to pay to do business in Minneapolis, but they aren't paying property taxes. What I've seen in other places is that city leaders don't like food trucks because they look "tacky". But I suspect the real push to get rid of them comes from brick & mortar restaurants, who don't want the competition.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Bogy you still pay taxes though, and all the same licenses needed in the food industry. Our town is kinda small, but in my experience the food trucks BRING business to our downtown including restaurants. Families come down that usually wouldn't, for Lobster, Mexican or BBQ trucks, but some people in the family want something else, almost all of our bars downtown let you bring food in to eat so you'll see a family chowing down on food truck food and 1 or 2 people in the group have downtown food

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs That's just way to reasonable for someone who sees the food truck as a threat or a nuisance to consider. BTW, I'm about to head to my favorite Mexican food truck for my regular Wednesday Burrito. I hope they finish renovating their indoor location before winter starts.

You are probably right on the preference for brick and mortar restaurants for property tax purposes, and pressure from traditional restaurants. However, the public really likes the food trucks, and they certainly are not going away. Maybe the City should consider increasing food truck license fees somewhat, if it wants to level the playing field.

It is like electric vehicles. The gas tax revenue being lost as a result of EVs is going to start being substantial, if it is not already in some areas. That lost revenue is going to have to be made up somewhere else.

Comment

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          In my little town of 450 the BBQ food truck that someone opened up this summer is the only place to "eat out" so nobody is going to hassle it. They just have to hit a circuit of five or six towns to make it pay.
          In Iowa EVs already pay an extra fee along with the yearly registration fees, so I don't think the tax coffers are going to suffer to much because people aren't buying gas.

This is sad to see.

Minneapolis needs stuff like this so desperately. The city is sinking. I don't live there and never will again. I am glad I moved outta there in the early 2010s. It used to be a fun place to be and go, back in the day. It is a shell of it former self and to watch the city step in and try to stomp out hard working people who simply want to add something new to the city is ridiculous, albeit typical. Mayor Frey and his flunkies at the city will get their money, one way or another. Don't shut down the few BBQ trucks we have while you figure out how to wring that tax towel. Classic. Times change and food trucks are not a new thing and they certainly are not going anywhere. Don't have Jacob Frey or the Minneapolis city counsel doing your bidding. Figure it out. Don't try to quell someone else's business because you are having trouble competing. I am sure some brick and mortar places in the city (those that are left open) are behind some of this BS.

I hope Animales and Boomin' can stand up to the city on this one. If you are in the area, make it a point to support them. I have met them a few times, not that they would remember me, but they are both great BBQ spots and great people.

Comment

Yeah that sucks. I love food trucks. There are lots of them here, for awhile thus summer they had weekends where trucks would be in a certain area downtown and we could take our pick. There are a couple of Mexican food trucks here that are outstanding.

I would suggest moving to TN, but there is that pesky ranch to consider...

Comment

Minneapolis used to be great. There are people that don't want to return to work downtown -- not because of Covid but because of crime.

Comment

Thinking about this situation last night . .. I wonder if the fact that the food trucks deal with meat has anything to do with the situation.

For some reason, I think that if the food trucks were selling tofu or vegan meals . . . the City would find a way to resolve the situation.

Knowing the politics of Minneapolis, there "might" be a tendency to favor more "enlightened" food businesses . . . .than BBQ trucks.

Comment

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess that would depend on if there were already a number of traditional restaurants serving tofu or vegan meals. They could be dealing with people complaining about the smoke, which to us is ambrosia, but bothers some people.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely

From the site’s rules: "We are a cooking website, let's talk about what binds us- food, cookers, and cooking," and this channel’s description: "Tell us about your favorite restaurants, BBQ joints, steakhouses, or your not so favorites ones." Maybe this conversation should continue in the comments section of any Minneapolis Star Tribune article dealing with how the city is dealing with food trucks and not here in this channel.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                This pertains to two of our favorite Minneapolis food trucks, Boomin BBQ being one of them. which happen to be BBQ.

• Fellers Ranch
                Fellers Ranch commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree. Maybe I did not need to raise this issue of Why they may be closing . .. but it seems that is pertinent to the story. My hope is that they work it out so they don't have to close.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                No worries, we just try our best to keep politics out of the Pit. Which, I think we are doing here. I am much more concerned about them being shut down rather than who is doing I, I guesst. BBQ in MN is so scarce that we need to protect those that do exist. Fellers Ranch

Here is a more recent article, which has more info on the issue.

Minneapolis ordered Animales Barbeque Co. and Boomin Barbecue to shut down their biggest smokers by October 1. If nothing changes, they may relocate next season.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, we would love to have them move out here. There is a reason a lot of others have done the same. Sounds like they got a reprieve from the city until they can figure out how they are gonna work it. Sounds like they can cook through November.

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                You mighta known it, Texas is the problem. Texas is afraid of a little competition on having the best BBQ!

Yes, looks like things are getting worked out. If the discussion about changing the ordinance pans out, maybe that will make it easier for other BBQ trucks to operate in Minneapolis. More BBQ is always good!

Boomin Barbecue, Minneapolis, Minnesota. 3,632 likes · 16 talking about this. Wood. Smoke. Meat

Comment

I like that Boomin moved to Hudson. Much more family oriented town there. Don't have to worry about getting car jacked. Animales without their offsets (cooking on their rotisserie) just won't be the same. At least they'll be in a traditional restaurant setup in a year or so.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here