Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lunch at Bark Barbecue Cafe, Stevensville, MD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch at Bark Barbecue Cafe, Stevensville, MD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8324_jpg.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	1173601
    Bark recently took the number-two spot on the Washington Post ten best regional barbecue restaurants list. It is a 45-minute drive from Washington and Baltimore and a two-hour drive from Philly. If you are new to the area or just visiting and driving from either Baltimore or Washington, you are in for a treat. You will cross the William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bridge, locally known as the Bay Bridge. It spans 5.5 miles across the Chesapeake Bay, America's largest estuary. Note, however, that Friday travel could take hours longer during beach season.

The food is pretty legit, and the restaurant has big plans. However, now, they are serving breakfast and lunch for the business park in which they are located. Hours are 7 am to 3 pm, no weekends. As word gets around, I am sure their hours will be extended. They are also building a large patio for the service of more tables.

My wife and I ordered the Pitmaster Platter and a pork belly sandwich to share. The platter allowed us to sample the ribs, brisket, and chicken, along with the rice, slaw, pickles, and collards. The meats were prepared well, tender, moist, and flavorful with a good bit of oak smoke. Many regional BBQs here use oak because it is plentiful. The ribs, a Korean-style sticky rib cooked in a blasphemy method, aren't on the main menu. They were listed as special. Ginger, garlic, black pepper, and gojuchang are used as a rub, and a braise. The brisket seemed traditionally smoked. The chicken breast was on another level, marinated and smoked to perfection, tender and flavorful. It is a family recipe, so they didn't disclose much of their method. The collards and pickles were also good. In my opinion, the rice and slaw needed a bit of spice to punch them up.

The pork belly sandwich was out of this world. The pairing of pork, peach hosin bbq sauce, pickled carrots & cucumbers, fresh herbs, jalapeños, crispy shallots exploded on my taste buds. I will go back again just to have another one of these.

All in all, this was a very flavorful experience. I will say that I was left craving more meat in the end. The sides had ample portions, but the pitmaster platter, which is marketed for two, in my opinion, needed a bit more protein. I know times are really tough for restaurants and that may play into the portion size.

If you make it here, right around the bend is Terripan Park which offers trails to a large sandy beach on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. It's a great place to walk off some calories.

Would I go back? Plans are in the making...

Name:	IMG_8331.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1173600

Name:	IMG_8341.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1173602

With a name like "Bark" it better be good!

Great write up.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks- at least they didn't name it Snows or Franklin...

Looks good! Nice write up. Just curious, how much was the platter shown in your pic?

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir- Cost was close to about 1/3 the cost of a fine steak knife. Almost 3 dozen clams. With a righteous tip, exceeded that.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks - well done.

Comment

Comment

And it's right next door to the main guitar factory of Paul Reed Smith...!

Comment

• DTro
            DTro commented
            Editing a comment
            oops.. forgot mention that..

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here