Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlanta - Daddy D'z * Fat Matt's * Community Q * Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlanta - Daddy D'z * Fat Matt's * Community Q * Mistakes

Went on a work trip to Atlanta this week, and took the mandatory lunch/dinner BBQ tour of the city. My impressions of the three BBQ joints I hit are as follows:

Community Q - Lunch - Ribs (Decatur, I think)
    I tried Community Q first at the recommendation of co-worker. The ribs were good, but perhaps a little over cooked, especially for an 11:30am lunch stop, meat was ready to fall off the bone. The Pulled pork seemed about right as well. They have two sauces (vinigar and tomato), and both were very good. Sides were good, but it had a mustard style coleslaw that isn't my favorite variety. I hit it early for lunch, 11:30, to avoid the line and I ended up with no wait; but by 12:15 the line had grown quite long. One good sign is that by 11:30 there was a table full of Decatur cops at a big table, and they kept changing out (one coming, one going) for the next hour. Cops usually know what's up when it come to food. They had a good outside seating area, which I like; meat cooked over wood should be eaten outside. Overall the place is a pretty standard strip mall BBQ joint with probably average or above average food. They had NO beer, so totally a lunch option for me.

Daddy D's - Late Dinner - Combo (Atlanta)
    Came here about 8:00pm after a few bourbons (maybe 4-5) and letting that Community Q lunch settle. I loved this place before I even had a bite. It is an old school busted down BBQ shack. Has a big screened in porch area with glass storm windows propped open; and in classic form, at least 20% of the windows were broken. There were only about 3 tables active when we arrived, so no wait at all. The girls working were great, they offered suggestions, got us beers, ran back and forth with any request, and earned the hell out of their tips (I tipped them $10 on a $25 tab). The food: I got the combo meal which was ribs, pulled pork, and pulled brisket. All were very good, but the ribs were done damn near perfectly. I don't have the highest expectations when I show up well after the dinner hour and order meat that was likely sitting in a warmer for a couple hours, but this place didn't miss a beat. *IMPORTANT* The one mistake I made was to have them sauce the meat before they served it to me (they said this is the way most people do it). The sauce was ok, but of a thicker variety, and I use thicker sauces very sparingly. I would have been much better having it served dry and putting my own sauce or hot sauce on. The coleslaw was great, greens were good, they had these mini-pulled pork egg rolls that were tasty, and the fried okra was on point. I highly recommend this place, but be warned, I saw no signs of air conditioning, so I imagine it gets a little toasty in the warmer months. I'd say the food was above average, but the overall experience was awesome.

Fat Matt's - Lunch - Ribs (Atlanta)
    A classic BBQ shack that gets high recommendations from the locals. They were pretty busy at 12:00 on a Thursday, but we made it through the line in about 10 minutes. The seating is about 50% indoors and 50% outdoors, with the outdoors being less crowded even on a 75 degree Spring day. One plus feature on the outdoor area is that they serve on real plates and silverware, have basic service for water refills, clean tables, etc. The ribs were done well, it appears they smoke them in advance and then heat them before serving on a charcoal grill, giving them a slightly charred finish. So I guess they were different, but I liked 'em. The slaw was totally average and unremarkable. I liked the baked beans, and greens, but be warned, they like their sugar here, one of my co-workers was thoroughly unhappy with the sweetness of the sides. I liked the place, and thought they were doing things right. I would say the food was about average, and the service and ambiance were above average. Beer is available by the Glass, pitcher, or bottle. I had a draft Bud Light and it was cold and served in a pint glass.

*Mistakes* - Kimball House - (Decatur)
    For work related reasons I got dragged to some fancy hipster joint called the Kimball House, costing me a shot at a 4th BBQ experience. If you appreciate really pretentious kids in their 20s explaining to you the finer aspects of the flavors of oysters from different regions, outrageously complicated cocktails with like 8 ingredients, and a $70 steak, then this is the place for you. I'm pretty sure I heard an audible gasp when I ordered a bourbon on the rocks, but I could be mistaken. I like my oysters when served with a bucket of beers at a beach bar on the coast; this, was not that. Avoid at all costs!!! even if you have to fake a stomach sickness and then take a quick Uber to a decent place to get beer and some smoked meat (I actually considered this at one point in the evening).

Great write up. I'm headed to Atlanta for 4 weeks soon. I'll be way north of downtown.

Comment

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      Where are you headed?

• edible hen
      edible hen commented
      Editing a comment
      Kick the tires on Fox Brothers. I tried their 4 combo plate (ribs, pulled pork, chicken, and brisket). All ranged from good to excellent. We ordered the cheese tots as an appetizer and they were some of the best I ever had. Sides were ok, not good, not bad.
      Last edited by edible hen; August 22, 2016, 10:59 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here