Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre order Hatch chiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre order Hatch chiles

The Hatch Chile Store is taking pre-orders for the chiles 15% off.

Fresh Hatch Green Chile shipped from our farms to your door in-season. We pick, pack, and ship 5, 10, and 25lb boxes of fresh green chile each week on Tuesdays when in season. You roast and enjoy!

Would love to get some of those, but I bet they can't ship to Canada. <sigh>

Comment

i'm in!

Comment

What do you do with them? Dry them and preserve? Freeze? or use them up quick?

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          A supermarket chain called LuckySupermarkets just moved into Central Florida a couple of years ago and they have fresh Hatch's in season. They even make a bit production about having chili roasts. We buy a few lbs. of the freshly roasted ones and I vacuum pack and freeze. They freeze well.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          I freeze them and use as needed. I also buy the fire roasted ones.

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Use them in or on anything. Adds some flavor and heat. Great on a cheeseburger! Make stew, enchiladas. All kinds of stuff.

Here in New Mexico, it’s our state food! Haha can find ice cream with chile!

Great peppers but expensive service. We get them here in Texas during the growing season so I'll just stick with that. We have tons of Anaheims in the meantime, quite honestly they are almost the same to me anyway. Of course I will admit to not being much a a pepper aficionado. Thanks for the post non-the-less !!

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Your lucky. We have them in stores for a week at the most.

Oh so good! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Comment

Originally posted by andy.wpg View Post
          Would love to get some of those, but I bet they can't ship to Canada. <sigh>
          Just an update. I contacted Hatch and they are able to ship fresh (not roasted, or tamales/rellenos) product to Canada. The website doesn’t allow international orders, but you can call them to order.

i just may take advantage of this. I guess I can roast some myself.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Easy to roast. Nice when they can do the entire batch for you but at least you can get some!

• cgrover60
            cgrover60 commented
            Editing a comment
            andy.wpg, roasting your own in my opinion is 90% of the experience. And yes roasting on a grill will take awhile but the aroma makes every minute nearly religious.

Ok. Someone needs to enlighten me as to what and why? Whats a hatch chile and why is it special?

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            These green chiles have a great flavor to them and depending on the species of chile, bring some heat. In New Mexico they are a staple, so you can find them easily nd they are in a lot of different foods.

Anything you want to add them to, you could. Dice them, chop, or purée in a blender and make some stew, or just go whole and add it to a cheeseburger and OMG is it good! I won’t eat a cheeseburger without green chile.

• RustyHaines
            RustyHaines commented
            Editing a comment
            IMO all chiles from Hatch New Mexico are special chiles. They have a unique, wonderful chile flavor. I am sure there is a scientific reason why they are so good; soil, elevation, amount of sun.

I use Hatch red chile powder often. Especially in my pork rub and to make red enchilada sauce. I buy from: https://www.madeinnewmexico.com/ Not cheap but to me the best.

This pretty much sums it up...

If you hate reading, try this:

Last edited by Arsenlael; January 18, 2020, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. I dont think ive ever seen them in jersey. Now i half want to order a batch.

Thanks for the link

We get the in abundance in the Supermarkets in Dallas, and some even offer roasting service. I have some dishes with in restaurants during the Hatch Chili Festival in Santa Fe. The dishes were fab, far too hot for me. I couldn’t taste the food.

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            They have a mild variety that's very close to an Anaheim in heat

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            ofelles Thanks

My favorite from Hatch are the Big Jim variety, they have some heat but flavorful. I’ve gone with the Sandia style a few times but I will normally mix it with Big Jim and it can be hot.

The prices, of its for the same amount that we get in season, a bushel or basket, is about the same price if I remember correctly. I was going to suggest the red chile, but the price for roasted seems a bit high to me. I don’t remeber paying that price. The fresh on the site is $35 and is also a nice type of chile to try.

you are in for a treat if you do order. You can freeze these easily as well. I use the sandwich size zipper top bags and place a hand full of roasted chile in and close and freeze. I will peel the chile when I thaw it out and use a little water to get the peel off. This is after they were roasted. When you roastthem, let them sit in a trash bag for an hour or so and steam then freeze. It will help with peeling.

Comment

Love me some hatch chiles! Fortunately so do a lot of people in SoCal, so getting a 20lb bag or two is fairly easy when the season hits. (Especially with friends that have family in NM.]
            I usually get a bag of "regular" and a bag of "hot" and have them roasted.

I freeze what doesn’t get used that first weekend and hope they last the year. LOL

Comment

My local grocery store has them for about a month when in season. They usually roast large batches on the weekends. Love me some Hatch chiles.

Comment

Just ordered mine. Shipping cost for these fresh ones is much better than my last order from them. Shipping frozen was really expensive. And of course, as a Jim who's just a bit over 6 feet tall, had to go with the Big Jim...

Comment

Love the idea of this but wondering about best uses and recipes. . . Not a veteran of hatch Chile goodness. Any recommendations?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here