Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DALSTRONG Cleaver Butcher Knife - Gladiator Series -"The Ravenger" - German HC Steel - 9" - Guard - Heavy Duty $66.57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DALSTRONG Cleaver Butcher Knife - Gladiator Series -"The Ravenger" - German HC Steel - 9" - Guard - Heavy Duty $66.57

This looks interesting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...M9CJEFG4TS7ZJ1

People love that brand. I’m not a fan though. I bought one knife and gave it away a couple months later. Just not for me.

Great price if you need that knife.

Comment

• Sephon
      Sephon commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, I bought their slicer and was not impressed at all. Gave it to my brother.

• fttank
      fttank commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey, what slicer do you prefer? I'm in the market for one.

About a year ago, Mrs. Meat2 and I did a steak knife test by ordering 7 sets - all different brands, styles, price points - from Amazon and taking advantage of the free return policy. The Gladiator brand stood out as the best by far. Great weight, cool look and incredible out of the box sharpness. We don't use them as our daily knives(I hate knife sharpening) but break them out for special occasions. Still very happy with them.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Steak knife as in the normal "steak knife" one would think of?

I need steak knifes but haven’t pulled the trigger on any brand yet. I would consider them for a steak knife but not something for work.

I do like the dahlstrong, but only the steel in their "shogun" series. The dahlstrong shogun chef matches performance with my classic shun.

The softer steel may be okay for a cleaver.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the shogun slicer. I like it a lot.

Not a fan. Prefer the Wustof or Henkels cleavers. While the Dahlstrong name is supposedly listed in Ontario, Canada the knives are made in China. China has never been known to make a quality knife. Japan, yes, Germany, yes, Switzerland, yes, the US, yes.

Well make your choice for something that has been proven over decades or something that is new and made in a country that may or may not be making a quality product and is putting a tax on exports.

Just my opinion and you can make your own.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      the shogun series are made in Japan, if I am not mistaken. I have the slicer and like it a lot. My chef knife is a shun, One of my pairing knives and both sets of kitchen
      shears are whustof. Boning knife and trimming knife are both Dexter Russel. Fillet knife is Rapala. The rest are henkles 4 star twin. Oh also have a victorinox chef knife. Pretty happy with all of them. mountainsmoker

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      You have it right texastweeter Shoguns are made in Japan, Shuns are beautiful knives,

You have some great knives.

I wish I was as experienced in knives as y'all. I bought some Emeril knives and have been thrilled with them. Got a feeling they're the Budweiser of knives but hey we like em. Better than our 2002 wedding gift Target knives.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That's all that matters. Seriously.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      They are not bad knives at all. Emeril had two sets made for him both by Wustof a stamped set and a forged set which cost $500.

I don’t know from nothin’ but the shape of that knife looks evil, like something Freddie Krueger would use in a horror movie

Comment

I confess. I have no self control. Just ordered one ...

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats hilarious

Decent price for cleaver, that's for sure.
    And it does look cool...

My cleaver of choice is my 2lb F. Dick 7"...
    The well balanced F.Dick Heavy Cleaver is ideal for chops, ribs, home and restaurant butchering.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      surfdog That does look like a good price. Has it stood up for you?

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles Yes, it’s pretty industrial. Like most F. Dick stuff it’s more functional than pretty.

fttank for cooked meat/slicing I use this meat slicer
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D88641D1-725C-4E1D-A661-60A6AE67F4DC.png
Views:	272
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	705721

for fish and I use this to break down whole salmon
    etc.. is that what you mean??

Name:	7CC2EB59-93C4-4774-A0A7-E686CC92994A.png
Views:	224
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	705722

Comment

That is one wicked looking cleaver!

Comment

I've been happy with the Dalstrongs I bought from the Shogun series (the pattern is pretty on them, but I just prefer the balance/handle on them and they are pretty well balanced to my grip), but I don't have anything from the Gladiator series. I thought about this cleaver because the shogun one is just a veggie slicer not a true cleaver. Anyway, for what it's worth, I had one knife I got from them via Amazon I wasn't happy with due to some manufacturing imperfections. Reached out to them, they protly replaced the knife AND refunded 75% of the purchase price! So I bought a filet knife

I haven't had any chipping or quick wearing problems like some folks have, but when I asked the company they said they did change their metal or process on the Shoguns anyway.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          They switched from VG-10 to AUS-10 in the shogun series. I have a mix and like them both with a slight edge to the VG-10.

I would love to have a cleaver, simply because they look so bad-ass. But in my 64 years I have never once been in a situation where i actually thought, "Man, I wish I had a cleaver for this job."

So, no cleaver for me. And, that’s 2% of the money I need to get a Komodo kamado. All I have to do is resist the urge to spend $70 fifty more times, and I’m there. In theory, anyhow.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with you. What the heck do I need a cleaver for?

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Some day each of us will be at a yard sale, and there will be a nice cleaver for $5. We’ll offer $2 and go home with what we want.

It’s here!

Beautifully packaged, seems very well made, and is incredibly sharp for a cleaver ... so much so that I immediately inventoried my fingers. Currently, the number is 10. I’ll report back if the number changes ... ...

Name:	21512CD9-42A2-42D9-9F58-CB54B0BA6019.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	708152

Name:	2FBE42EB-8794-4AFD-A20E-9331D4B725D7.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	708153

Name:	EC8FC378-39C4-48C4-8517-DE23E274839B.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	708154

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Woosh!! You gotta count after you use it.

That's a scary weapon! I don't think I should have one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here