Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gold grade brisket on Woot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold grade brisket on Woot

Never heard of Huntspoint brand before. Maybe someone here has.

If they endorse the Beastie Boys they can't be all bad.

Comment

• OSB
      OSB commented
      Editing a comment
      So let it flow, let yourself go
      Slow and low, that is the tempo.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      OSB It's truly stable and you ought to be able
      To dance to the record when it's on the turntable

I believe they're out of the Northeast. Been around for a while.

Comment

I looked them up and I bought one. The are out of NYC, where a lot of this type of product is. No reviews online on their mail order business, only wholesale. They state marble grade of 8+ - lets see but at ~$10 a pound figured give it a try. Never bought wagyu before, only Angus due to cost, I will post picks.

Comment

Well they sold out before the time ran out. I would have bitten on it myself but I got a Creek Stone prime and a SRF black in the freezer waiting to be smoked up. Be watching for your post JMuseum

Comment

According to the web site their brisket was cooked by a pit crew that won a brisket award at the Houston Livestock Show, can’t be all bad !!!!!

Comment

Got my order yesterday. Looks good, FedEx had some issues, so it was a day late, not Huntspoint's fault. Contacted them about it and the customer service was friendly. Anyway, going to let it sit in the fridge for the next two weeks and smoke it. It was pretty thawed out when it came, and I did not want to refreeze it, so now I have an excuse to use it quicker.
            Attached Files

Comment

Did you temp probe it? If it was thawed I'd be a little concerned. Are you leaving it in the cryovac for 2 weeks to wet age?
              Looks like a decent brisket! Keep us posted.

Comment

No, I did not prob it because I did not, but that would have been a good idea. It was definitely still refrigerator cold, just not frozen and some of the fat was still froozenish. Though now that I say it those might now be famous last words.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                  Frozen Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If it was cold to the touch and a little frosty you should be ok.....I hope (-:

Ok - so a follow up (just got a reply from customer service). I was trying to be nice, but I am starting to get annoyed. Please let me know if I am crazy. I contacted Huntspoint about the delay in shipping. They stated it should be fine, then when it came, it was not frozen at all, they then told me that it defrosts a bit in shipping and they ship over three days all the time, I can just re-freeze the meat. A few issues I have with that is that it did not defrost a bit, it was fully thawed and two I am not spending that much money on beef that was frozen twice. Yes, it does affect the taste a bit. If this was cheaper, ok fine but not at this price.

My next question, to try and resolve the issue was how long can I leave it in the fridge. The answer I got is it depends on how cold the fridge is and that the meat has already been wet aged. Maybe it is my data background, but not helpful. What about in a standard home fridge? Are we talking 2 days or 2 months, give me something. It is great it has been wet aged, though there is no information on that anywhere. There is no pack date, which I believe there should be. Really no information on it at all. Maybe it is because I ordered from Woot/ Huntspoint and it was actually from 7x Beef. Yes, I know I got it at a discount, but I expected it to be a sale, not a discount supplier. Still going to give it a go - we shall see.

Comment

JMuseum You can probably leave that in the fridge for around 60 days, I have. As long as it is still in the sealed cry-vac, you will be just fine. If there is any bloating in the bag, then you know to throw it out. But there is no harm in letting that sucker sit for a while. I find that 40 days is about the sweet spot.

Comment

Spinaker has got it right on fridge storage and what to look for. I'm sure these briskets were probably close to code date which is why there were on Woot to begin with. But I've been around food distribution long enough to know code dates aren't the date you throw things out. Most things if kept properly will go well past the code date. Pack dates are generally printed on the case and not individual packages.

Comment

Originally posted by JMuseum View Post
                      It was pretty thawed out when it came, and I did not want to refreeze it, so now I have an excuse to use it quicker.
                      I got one also. I am going to cook it this weekend. Any thoughts on how it might differ in cooking time from a similar sized Costco prime (my usual)? I tried what a local supermarket called waygu brisket a year or so ago and, frankly, it was the worst one I have made. I think I undercooked a little but I'm not sure and I can't find my notes. I'm also not completely sure what exactly it was, quality wise, and it had less external fat than I would typically keep. I'm thinking that it takes longer but I'm no expert. Just trying to plan my day and when to start it. Would be a shame to waste.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If it is American Wagyu it will cook faster. We get them here sometimes and I probe them out at 192-195*. So yea you should get done faster. Depends on your cook temp.

Thanks for the info! When you write you probe them out, do you mean you pull them off the smoker? That *seems* early for a prime brisket but if that's what these require, maybe that's where I went wrong before. Honestly I don't usually go for recipes, but once I used Franklin's 275* w/wrapping to 203* and got great results I've been leery of mixing it up. It's a hard piece of meat to experiment with.

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I believe he is talking about probing them and then pulling them when they are at about 192 F-195 F.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here