Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam’s Club Offering $8.00 Memberships For New Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam’s Club Offering $8.00 Memberships For New Members

I just got this notification from a local TV station. Here’s a link.

Here’s how to get a Sam’s Club membership for just $8
    Sam’s Club is offering an $8 membership deal that’s redeemable in-person at all Sam’s Club locations from June 17 through June 26.

Thanks PJ! I’ve always been a Costco man, but for $8 I’ll give them a look.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      YW Sid. Yeah, I’m a Costco guy too, like you said, for $8.00…..what the hay.
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 16, 2022, 12:38 PM.

I might have to try Sams

Comment

If you run a pellet cooker, the pellets at Sams are an absolute great value.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        smokenoob I run them almost exclusively, I haven't found a better value pellet yet. Low ash, good smoke, perform equally great at low and grill temps, coupled with a great price. I like the orange bag, the blue bag is ok-ish

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there a particular brand of pellets that people should be aware of? Or is it their store brand?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John the brand is Smokehouse, but that's all they carry at least at my store.

Personally I prefer the butts, pork ribs and chicken at Sam's to Costco. I guess Costco does offer St. Louis cut spares, while Sam's only offers the untrimmed spares. I'm just not a fan of the boneless butts, and prefer the bone-in variety.
      Last edited by jfmorris; June 16, 2022, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Joey877
        Joey877 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. I belong to both "clubs" for this reason.

Sam's was up here about 10 years ago like Target, lasted a few years and high tailed it back home again.
      Some brands just can't do it up here.

Comment

I’ve always had both cards. We mainly use Costco, but I have to say that Sam’s has modernized and "Costco’d" their stores to keep up. They often have things C won’t have and vice versa.

Comment

I've always longed for a Costco in our area (closest is about 3 hours away), but I have to say that the meat at Sam's Club is really good. I have a Texas friend who prefers Sam's Club meats to what he gets at HEB. He's not that close to a Costco either.

Kathryn

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got 3 Costco's within 15 mins of our house, I won't go to any of them.
            They're a sh_t show no matter what hour of the day you go.
            No parking, fighting over parking, try to leave and some ones trying to drive over your hood to get the spot, then the misery of getting out of the lot.
            Line ups to get in, pay and get out.
            And if they sell gas....whoa Nelly....
            Plus have been in Costco's in Texas and here at home there are just better deals at US Costco's compared to the one's here in the GTA.

We prefer the wine selection at Costco vs the wine options at Sams

We prefer the chicken options at Sams vs the chicken packaging/pricing at Costco

The Costco Kirkland-brand chocolate chip cookies (the tiny ones in the snack aisle in the blue bag, not the large ones in the bakery) are addictively tasty. The "limited edition" chip flavors that end up on a Sams endcap are often interesting.

Costco tends to sell "healthier" snacks than Sams.

Costco olive oil is our standard (both the regular Italian and the special once-a-year Toscano version for fancier purposes)

We like both Costco and Sams meats - but we tend to prefer Sams meats more often than Costco (usually due to price than anything else)

As others have pointed out -- if you can swing it, there's nothing wrong with having both options available

Comment

Well, I’m getting ready to go to my nearest Sam’s Club now, as others have mentioned, for $8.00 you can’t go wrong. I’m just hoping the line isn’t jammed packed here on the first day of the deal. Will keep y’all posted.

Comment

Panhead John download the Sam's Club application on your smart phone. You can "scan and go", meaning you can literally scan your own items, pay for them online, and not have to wait in line to check out. This feature makes me like Sam's better than Costco because I always have to wait in line at Costco, while at Sam's I can just walk out.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
                WillTravelForFood commented
                Editing a comment
                We try to use the "no cart shopping" method whenever possible. It's not always possible.

Our catchphrase: "If you can't carry it, you can't buy it"

significantly cuts down on impulse purchasing

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Joey877 Good idea. But I was mainly referring to the line to sign up. In order to take advantage of the $8.00 membership, you have to go to customer service and sign up in person. But I’m still gonna do your app idea.
                Last edited by Panhead John; June 17, 2022, 08:55 AM.

As always, know your pricing.
              • Costco's 3lb package of celery hearts is roughly $5+ around here. Celery is definitely cheaper elsewhere
              • For whatever reason, Sam's has jacked up their frozen pre-cooked chicken wing pricing to a ridiculous over $22 for a 4lb package) compared to Costco's roughly $16 price. (We know, wing prices are stupid right now anyway, but this is a pretty significant difference)
              Generally speaking, we believe that Sams prices will be lower than Costcos for every day purchases, but this isn't always true.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                One of the reasons we haven't bothered with Costco all that much, sometimes they're not the best price in town but its right in front of you and looks like a bargain so you impulse buy.

I was checking out at Sam's Club the other day, and was shocked to note the screen was thanking me for being a 32 year member! Dang, I'm getting old...

Comment

Link ot Sams gave me the $45 membership.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
                  Grillin Dad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I called my local Sam's (well, and hour-and-a-half away). For whatever reason, you have to sign up in person to get the deal. But the $8 membership is legit

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, you have to go into the store for the deal. It’s mentioned in the news article I linked.

Just got back from joining Sam’s. It was in a nice part of town, maybe a mile or so from the Costco I shop at. I was a little "underwhelmed" with my experience, at least at this location. I thought there’d be a long line of people wanting to join for $8.00 since I was there shortly after opening, and on the first day of this promotion. There was only 3 people standing in line in front of me, none of them were there to join up. I get up to the counter and sign up. The lady hands me a receipt with a bar code and other info. on it. She then told me they were out of membership cards! " I said what? This is only 20 minutes into the first day of the special, I figured they’d have given y’all plenty of membership cards" She said sorry….we ran out the other day. I said ok, that’s fine, can you just mail it to me? She said no, they don’t mail out the cards! Not happy about that at all, I have to go back to the store and pick it up, whenever they get some more. 😡

I had the whole store to myself, there was only about 25-30 people spread throughout the store. I thought this was a little odd because my Costco is packed no matter when you go. Hard to explain, but the Sam’s Club I was at, was boring. None of the "vibe" I get at Costco. I know, that’s not the reason to join up with a discount club, but still.

After strolling around for a few minutes with my rickety shopping cart I headed to the meat department. I perked up once I got to the meat section. I dropped about $100. and got a few things that looked good. Went to the checkout lines to pay, they were all empty of customers except one and there was only 1 customer there paying. I know this should be a good thing, but I thought that was a little odd.

I’ve got a question for anyone who’s bought a whole tenderloin. What’s the normal savings per pound that you’ve experienced. The whole tenderloin at Sam’s was $15.28 per lb. The packages of tenderloin filet mignons were $15.98 per lb. That’s only a 70 cents per pound savings. I’ve never bought a whole tenderloin before, so is this about the normal savings?, I thought it’d be a little bit more than 70 cents per pound. I didn’t buy it.

WHOLE TENDERLOIN

Click image for larger version  Name:	2D31534E-501D-490D-88BB-5EFEA20193DA.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	1238171

Click image for larger version  Name:	BC146CCB-A4B5-4F7D-8D66-32005569A862.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	1238173

TENDERLOIN FILET STEAKS

Click image for larger version  Name:	26891ADE-BD23-47F3-B659-E00E5B10ABC2.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	1238172
                Click image for larger version  Name:	28F6F178-270C-4123-91E0-D6C9FA91241C.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	1238174
                Last edited by Panhead John; June 17, 2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here