Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation BBQ Relief (OBR) Deploying for Hurricane Michael -October 10, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation BBQ Relief (OBR) Deploying for Hurricane Michael -October 10, 2018

Following is an email from OBR sent yesterday morning (10/9/18)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Partners, Sponsors, and Supporters,
    (this is a BCC but intended for you)

OBR has equipment in route and we are looking at two staging locations. One east of Mobile and the other south of Atlanta depending on where the equipment is coming from. We are watching the track of Hurricane Michael and it appears that Panama City area will be the impact area and Tallahassee (and south to the Gulf) will be on the right side of the eye getting the flooding rain, destructive winds, and devastating storm surge.

We are planning a large scale deployment and working on potential locations to set up at. Coming off a 3-week deployment for Hurricane Florence (over 323,000 meals served) just a week ago our team has been taxed and we will work to strategically staff this event with leadership and volunteers to ensure we can put out the maximum number of meals while ensuring our team is not overworked. We will be looking for skilled volunteers that have been involved in prior deployments that will want to be involved.

If you have not been following our social media the links are below as well as hashtags we are using. Additionally, updates from the Salvation Army and National Hurricane Center are at the bottom.

Please share with your followers our updates of what is happening as well as our needs if you can. Thank you for your support and assistance in helping people in need after disaster strikes.

Social Media

FB - facebook.com/operationbbqrelief

Twitter - twitter.com/opbbqrelief

Instagram - instagram.com/opbbqrelief

Hashtags - #OBRCares #WeAreOBR #HealingPowerofBBQ #OBRDeployed
    Update from our partners at the Salvation Army: Hurricane Michael Forecast To Be A Major Hurricane On Landfall in Florida
    • Hurricane Michael is predicted to continue to intensify and is forecast to strike the Florida Panhandle as a Category 3 storm (with winds of at least 120 mph) with dangerous storm surge, destructive winds, and flooding rainfall. Michael will also bring heavy rain and strong winds to other parts of the southeastern United States – specifically southeast Georgia -- after it moves inland. It could also cause problems in the Carolina's where they are still recovering from Hurricane Florence.
    • Landfall is most likely to occur somewhere between the Florida Panhandle and the Big Bend of Florida a few hours either side of midday Wednesday.
    • Storm surge and wind damage are likely to be extensive. Storm surge could be in excess of 12’ south of Tallahassee, FL and widespread power outages are likely to extend well beyond Valdosta, GA. Widespread power outages, major tree damage, and structural damage will occur along the path of Michael near and just inland from where it makes landfall on the Florida Panhandle.

From the National Hurricane Center

• The large-scale models continue to forecast a decrease in the shear later today, and thus Michael is forecast to intensify further before landfall. Michael will likely be a category 3 hurricane at landfall. Regardless of the eventual track and intensity of Michael, life-threatening storm surge inundation is expected along portions of the Florida Panhandle and Big Bend/Nature Coast.
    • "Michael could develop into a potentially catastrophic event for the northeastern Gulf Coast," the National Weather Service office in Tallahassee, Florida, wrote in its area forecast discussion Monday afternoon. Michael could be the strongest hurricane to landfall along the stretch of Florida's Panhandle Gulf Coast in 12 years.”

Much Respect,
    -- Stan Hays Will Cleaver
    CEO and Co-Founder COO/CFO and Co-Founder 816-876-9019 913-226-6972

If you can volunteer, please do. The work is not hard, but the days can be long. BUT - it is very rewarding, (and you get a cool t-shirt. ).

Comment

And if you can't make it to the deployment location there is always the 'Donate' button. Hope to all in the path of this storm, be safe.

Comment

Great organization!

I have them designated as the recipient for my Amazon Smile account.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too.

I would like to help for 3 days, but don't know how this works. What when where? What can I do? When, I can see the dates needed. Where do I stay and do I pay for it? Thanks Larry

Comment

larry d

You have to register with OBR. When you volunteer, you volunteer for the days you are available. They will contact you. Then just show up at 6 AM on the first day you picked. They will give you assignments as needed. And they will feed you. They may have some beds available on site, and there are showers too. If you can find a room, you will be more comfortable, but you will have to pay. When I went to Wilmington, I could not find a hotel, but did get a bed in one of their mobile dorms - they supplied a sleeping bag and a pillow. Take toiletries plus a towel and washcloth - I wound up going to target for a towel and washcloth. They have a big white (tractor) trailer for their headquarters. There will be an American Flag flying next to it - just go to the flag to report in.

If you want any more info, pm me.

Edit to add it would be wise to check for any road closures before picking days...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here