Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Toy: Avid Armor Vacuum Sealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy: Avid Armor Vacuum Sealer

Got me a new toy. Read as much as I could about vacuum sealers/chamber sealers looking for something to start with. As I've started smoking and grilling more I needed a way to store all the good leftovers. I basically decided a chamber unit was out of my league for now. I read a lot of feedback on FoodSaver vacuum sealers and as best I could tell the quality of the units had gone down over time. It seemed like getting a good one that would last a reasonable amount of time was a crap shoot. I kept rooting around and ran across the Avid Armor Brand. Looked like a good unit. Very few reviews on any site and none on AR that I could find.

Here she is!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190220_185151.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	638911
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190220_185203.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	638912
    Stainless unit, very simple operation, you have to cut your own bags if you by roll material. Certainly will fit on your counter and not to heavy to take in and out of a pantry, etc.. Below are some vittles I packed tonight for the first run. Instructions are easy, simple, and came in only one language (English). Not that I care to much about that, but I can't remember the last set of instructions for anything I bought not being written in 3-4 languages. Should save me lots of room in the freezer.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190220_195642.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	638913

In summary, it sucks!
    Last edited by NapMaster; February 20, 2019, 08:44 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Way to go! You'll be vac sealing everything. I read your post as I was taking a break from sealing, I butchered a hog this week.

Comment

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      I have more fish than anything in the freezer. Fish does well in ziplocks with water but they take up a lot of room. Replacement fish will go in the vac sealer.

I love vac sealers!

Comment

Please keep us informed on how it performs in the long term. Nice looking unit. Would like to get a quality machine somewhere between a FoodSaver and a full chamber unit, but I haven’t found the right ine yet.

Comment

Nice looking unit . I would be interested in the long term use and durability. I have an older Food saver and use it weekly, it is a must as it's just me and my wife and we shop Costco for our protein as well we do a lot of fishing. These Vac Sealers are great for when you have leftovers and want to save for mid-week. Just reheat Sous Vide or water on the stove. Have fun.

Comment

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        In my search I noted many individuals with older FoodSavers have been running strong for a long time. Subsequently, when to old unit finally does croak, the replacements of the same brand have been problematic, if not downright trash. Hopefully your unit will be like the energizer bunny.

I need another, my FoodSaver won't suck the wide bags. No problem with the thinner ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
        I need another, my FoodSaver won't suck the wide bags. No problem with the thinner ones.
        Try wetting the gasket. Doesn’t take a lot of water, just a wet finger all the way around will be enough. If that works you need a new set.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          When I barely wet it, it won't suck at all. It just blinks and retracts the mechanism.

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard You might try a little petroleum jelly on the old gasket to see if that will work. I use that on freezer and refrigerator gaskets after cleaning. Seems to work like a charm.

Nice unit! I bought one some time ago (different brand, but similar), love the simplicity and ease of use.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here