Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need advice on a affordable home vacuum packaging machine for sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice on a affordable home vacuum packaging machine for sous vide

ok guys, you were all very helpful in recommending sous vide machines so as expected I need advice on a good home vacuum packing machine. Thanks all, btw went with the joule sous vide, love it

I have a Vacmaster Duo 550 that is a chamber vac and a suction vac for things that won't fit in the chamber like large fish fillets. I love it but it runs between $5 and 6 hundred bucks. Like most things you get what you pay for with vac sealers.

Comment

The FoodSaver products tend to work well and seem to be reliable. I bought one of THESE 2 years ago and it has worked flawlessly as it's been used at least several times a week. It's not a chamber sealer ... nor is it nearly expensive as one ... but it gets the job done, especially for sous vide purposes.

Comment

Don’t forget good old ziplock bags. While I have a vacuum sealer I still use ziplocks quite a bit for SV and save the sealer for later freezing.

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          +2 on the Zip Lock Comments.I have a Foodsaver but use Zip Locks for SV often.

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a foodsaver but put my vacuum bags in a ziplock for sous vide, after having a leak in a long cook

• MattSayar
          MattSayar commented
          Editing a comment
          wcpreston I usually go for a double- or triple-seal to help with the leaks. Hasn't failed me yet.

Bought this one a little over a year ago. I use it a couple times a week and like it a lot. There's no requirement to use Foodsaver branded bags. There are other cheaper alternatives out there.

Comment

I have this Foodsaver model:

I have had it for at least 10 years now, and it works like a champ. There have been long [periods when I didn't use it at all, but I pull it out and wipe it off and it works fine.

Comment

I have a foodsaver, but for probably 80% of my cooks, if not more, I use a variety of quart, gallon and two gallon zip lock freezer bags and the Archimedes principle... or mason jars.

That said, I don't cook too many things over 150 (except stuff in mason jars). If I'm doing pork shanks hot, then I use the Food Saver. Their bags are rated for that type of thing. Ziplocks can fail at 156 or so for extended periods.
            Last edited by Potkettleblack; January 15, 2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know that about Ziplock bags. Didn't even think about it. Thanks.

I have this hand vacuum sealer with these reusable quart and gallon bags. I also have Ziplock 2 gallon non-vacuum bags. I do have a counter top sealer for things but it does smash stuff too much. Only need enough vacuum to remove all air.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I used to use ziplock bags that used a hand pump to pull the air out. But they don't seem to make them anymore.

FS GameSaver "Big Game" has been working well for me. It has a nice Carry handle & 12-volt DC adapter so you can use it in the field and I’ve seen camo versions. Pretty much any model you choose should be ok, I saw a guy on YouTube seal a whole brisket with an old standard kitchen model.

FS Bags are expensive so if you think you’ll do a ton of sealing a chamber sealer will eventually pay for itself because bags are cheap. Something to consider.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBCD83A1-7CF9-431A-B7BE-DDAC06A38A37.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	621894

Comment

I have the Vacmaster VP215. It gets used daily. The bags get cut at the top, food removed, and the remainder re-sealed. The bags are much cheaper than FoodSaver. Another plus is I can seal liquids and powders and use mason jars. It did take some work selling it to my wife, however once she saw what it did I can safely say it was one of my best received purchases, she loves it. Be warned, if it is 'affordable' to you, it is heavier than sin. This is not something you just pull out of the cupboard when needed. Mrs. Numb made me get it its own cart so it could be put aside and not take up real estate on the counter.

Comment

You don't really have to seal the bags if you can figure a way to keep the open ends above water while heating.

Comment

I replaced my NESCO ( a very good inexpensive) vac sealer with a Weston 1100. The only reason I changed was that I wanted a .25" seal versus the wire seal of foodsaver and others. This came from my work experience in the medical device industry where seal strength and integrity were critical.

Comment

I use a VacMaster VP112S almost daily. It's big and costly compared to a FoodSaver, but is much more versatile. I went through a few lesser FoodSavers but my last one (a top of the line) has lasted a long time (but I never use it anymore). You will need to periodically replace the gaskets. So if you get a FoodSaver, skip the low end ones.

Looks like that model has been discontinued with no replacement listed.
                    Last edited by mgaretz; January 12, 2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I have the food saver. Does great on the most part. If there is moisture present it can be a little challenging. I bought the food saver because I can purchase the bags at Sams at a good price and also had not used a sealer before. When something happens to this one, I would consider a VacMaster.

Comment

Foodsaver brand is ok. Started out with the low end model and the problem with those is that you can not run it continuously for mass production seal jobs. The low end one finally failed and it is back to Foodsaver for repair or replacement. It’s been a six month turnaround but that is another story. Got the Gamesaver wingman and it works well for mass production jobs. Great for portions of pulled pork, fresh salmon, etc. I get my bags on Amazon
                        Agree with others, I use 1 gallon freezer bags for most of my SV cooks. Brookie

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here