Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Guru and Kamado Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Guru and Kamado Grill

I have a BBQ Guru and Monolith Kamado Grill. For anyone else who uses a BBQ Guru device and a Kamado Grill, what do you set your top and bottom vent settings at? I've seen different advice on facebook groups and the most common being to close completely the bottom vent and set the top vent to what you would normally do for the temp you want. However, when I do this on a low and slow, I burn through my coals almost twice as quickly, which I believe is due to the fan. Anyone else with any recommendations?

I set my top vent to be barely open and the bottom vent is driven by the fan.

Comment

- Top vent open to the width (thickness) of a dime or less.
      - Bottom vent is controlled by the sliding damper "riding over the top" of the fan adapter and then attaching the fan to the adapter.
      - I suspect if BBQ Guru did not change their fan adapter this is where your issue is. The guru adapter in my opinion is the best one on the market as far as adapters go. It is built great and quite stout. Yes it is a struggle getting it in place and sliding the damper over it for a seal BUT it can be done.
      - One of my LBGE is always a struggle. My Primo XL has been struggle free.
      - Oh almost forgot make sure you have the adapter oriented in the proper direction.

Comment

What Attjack said. But, if your fan is running a lot, that suggests to me that you may have your top vent closed just a bit too far. If you have it dialed in correctly, at least on my ancient Kamado, the fan rarely engages. Sometimes, as the fire spreads out to a larger diameter (several hours into the cook) from the near pinpoint start I use in the middle, I then dial the top vent back to closed a bit more as the temp edges up.

Comment

Thanks all for the quick and valuable advice.

As Jim suggested, I'll leave the top vent open a bit more than I would normally and see if the fan running less would give me a longer burn. It kind've makes sense as the oxygen in would be more controlled.

I have the Monolith BBQ Guru Edition grill with the fan built into the side of the kamado, so there's no issue with the seal or orientation of the adaptor.

Thanks again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here